LR3 keyfob / remote disintegration

cornfarmer

Observer
Anybody's keyfob doing this? This one is the most far gone, my spare is not too far behind. Are these replacement shells on eBay the best route? I can supposedly get a generic replacement at Ace Hardware but I haven't looked into it.

rqTD6D1l.jpg

Anybody's keyfob doing this? This one is the most far gone, my spare is not too far behind. Are these replacement shells on eBay the best route? I can supposedly get a generic replacement at Ace Hardware but I haven't looked into it.

rqTD6D1l.jpg

3 buttons Uncut Blank Smart Flip... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LPZEFPY?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Fairly simple to swap the electronics and key into this new shell although the key blank was a little different than the original so it took some filing to get it to fit.

Maybe someone else has a version without this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoDavis

Explorer
google around for some write ups. It isn't hard at all, just takes some time to saw the old fob apart, careful with the board and buttons, and use some good epoxy on the new shell. Key blade thing is a bit finnicky but not impossible.

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
Look for a guy on Disco.co.uk who does a replacement service. Affordable and well done.Very nice guy and quick, He replaces a rechargeable battery and case. Well worth the money if you don't want to fiddle with small electronics.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
I'm not sure what year your vehicle/key are but I would HIGHLY suggest that you replace the battery while you have the case open for replacement. Do this job once, not twice when the battery fails. It's a solder on battery so you will need a soldering iron and some basic skills but it's easy. Write ups are online. Google is your friend.

I concur with @DiscoNels on replacing the battery once its open! A MUST DO!

I think I bought my spare keys from Merriam and then programmed them myself with my GAP tool (Super Easy). Obviously not the cheaper route than buying shells but I just went the new route over cracking them open since it appeared that my key was broken not just a dead battery.

On that note, its cheaper to buy a GAP tool and do keys yourself than it is to get keys bought and programmed at the dealer. Keep that in mind when it comes to key replacement.

Good luck!

Boston90

Victory- where did you source the new key and fob? Our newly acquired LR3 came with only 1 key and I’d like to get a backup.

Victory- where did you source the new key and fob? Our newly acquired LR3 came with only 1 key and I’d like to get a backup.

I'm pretty sure I got them from Merriam LR in Florida. Price check around, but either way the key is gonna get ordered and cut to your VIN. Just tell them you just want the key and cut and then you can program them on your GAP Tool in about ten minutes.

If you do not have a GAP, you are stuck paying the program fee and and labor which really sucks.

I'll try and find my receipt and get you the exact ordering information.

UPDATE:
Here is the link to the post, I paid $285 from Miami LR and programmed they keys via my IDTOOL. Their might be cheaper options out there for keys so if you find them, please post up. Not to sound pompous, but I would stick to a Geniune LR key.

ExpoPortal for LR3 Keys

Last edited:
Just spoke to British Parts of Utah (BP Utah) and they said $295 per key, comes laser cut to the VIN and they need registration/vehicle proof of ownership to place the order.

Program has to be done at a dealer ($$) or with your trusty GAP Tool (Worth Weight in Gold).

BP Utah ships fast and free on most most orders.

BP Utah Contact

Hope this helps!

cornfarmer

Observer
So I went with the ones from Amazon posted up by benjaminjaninja

Everything fit/transferred over well except the actual key. The inner plastic cylinder section on each side of the new case, that the key rotates between, is slightly bigger in diameter and needed to be sanded down, I used a Dremel to grind off some of the thickness of the material. Going in baby steps, I didn't want to sand off more than necessary, I eventually got it to flip out somewhat normally, though it should improve with everyday use.

Kind of a pain because of this fiddly part, but hey, I saved a couple hundred bucks.

Last edited:

Boston90

My local dealer wants $334 for the cut fob and $81 to program.

Anyone find anything cheaper than the $285 @ LR Miami.

My local dealer wants $334 for the cut fob and $81 to program.

Anyone find anything cheaper than the $285 @ LR Miami.

LR Merriam was the cheapest I found when I ordered mine a few years ago so I traditionally base prices from them. BP Utah has since been my go-to choice since their service and shipping has been phenomenal and I normally get my stuff shipped to the West Coast within 1-2 days of order!

You could do large heat shrink over the key as a temp solution, although you will not be able to fold it after.

Blaise

I just bought a replacement key for $16 on amazon. Not just a cover -- an uncut, unprogrammed key.

As soon as I find a locksmith and use my GAP to program it I'll post a thread. $300 for a key is insanity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles