Lr3 Heated seats issues? Upgrade seat options?

Hey guys,

I've got a 2005 lr3 SE and the driver side seat heater doesn't work, the passenger seat and rear seat seems to work but weakly. I've checked the fuses and the connections seem ok. I'm wondering if it might be the central climate control module, although the rest of the climate control works fine. Or the heating pad in the seat?

Since the heater is wacky, the backrest has a bit of a lean and the pockets on the backs are ripped I'm wondering if it might be better to try and upgrade to the post 2007 seats that have lumbar support and memory. Has anyone done this is it a plug-and-play situation? I know of one guy that is put LR4 seats into his lr3 but has yet been able to connect the controls. It seems like post 2007 seats would be an easier fit. I found a pretty clean salvage set $150 bucks each.

DVD

Adventurer
My passenger side heated seat isn't working on my 2005. Not a big deal to me, but more so to my wife :). Like you I checked the fuses and connections, and no problems there, so I'm guessing it's the heating pad. I researched this a couple years ago, and that seemed like the most likely culprit. I'm thinking I'd go the salvage route too, but it's just not big a deal - except for the few times per year when it is. Good luck!

krappana

My 2005 Lr3 SE Driver's seat has been hotter than normal for a bit and I found it too hot to keep on for long. Today I turned it on while I warmed the truck and when I came out to drive away the seat had smoke coming out from a few holes producing a burning smell. Obviously I won't use it anymore but am wondering if I can fix the heating pad/element or if I need to replace the whole seat so I an have a warm tucas again?

My 2005 Lr3 SE Driver's seat has been hotter than normal for a bit and I found it too hot to keep on for long. Today I turned it on while I warmed the truck and when I came out to drive away the seat had smoke coming out from a few holes producing a burning smell. Obviously I won't use it anymore but am wondering if I can fix the heating pad/element or if I need to replace the whole seat so I an have a warm tucas again?

The heating elements are under the leather cover. You will have to remove the leather from the seat bad (seat removed for this) and the elements are generally all the same; its an element that sits between the seat cushion and the cover (leather); it appears that LR is built with the element in the cushion so you have to replace the whole thing.

You can order replacement seat leather so I have no doubt you can get a new element as well and if not, an aftermarket heating element.

Found this on Ebay......not a bad price considering IMO! I love my buns heaters so if it were me, this would be a project I would tackle!

Ebay LR3 seat heating element

LR Max

Local Oaf
@Victory_Overland question: have you removed the seat before? I am looking doing the same, my driver heated seat element doesn't work. Well, it did kinda for a second but then died. This is on my "to-fix" list. How difficult was it to remove the seat? I did monkey around under there, trying to figure out out. Either its super complicated...or I'm missing the point.

Thank you.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
@Victory_Overland question: have you removed the seat before? I am looking doing the same, my driver heated seat element doesn't work. Well, it did kinda for a second but then died. This is on my "to-fix" list. How difficult was it to remove the seat? I did monkey around under there, trying to figure out out. Either its super complicated...or I'm missing the point.

Thank you.

The seats are not too hard to remove, all hex head or torx, there are a few different sizes, there is an electrical plug to undo and thats about it. You can muddle through it pretty quickly, the most annoying part is just popping trim off.

Thank you.

Sorry for the delay. To caveat what DiscoDavis said, it's not very hard but a process for the trim. I do suggest to tilt the seat forward a tad before you unplug it as it will help getting it out the door-frame once you unbolt it.

The black plastic cover under the front of the seats covers up the connector. That plastic trim pops off with a bit of persuasion but it is only held on by the friction clips. You can then see an 8mm (size?) retainer screw that holds the seat connector; remove that screw (its captive and stays on the connector) and then unbolt seat with the torque bolts and pull it out.

The front seats I have down to about 10 min or less for removal so it's not really too hard.

Michael34

Anyone have any idea if all lr3s have the heated elements but the ones without the listed option just don’t have the switches (in front center console ) I remember the D2s were like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al Blue4.6l

Anyone have any idea if all lr3s have the heated elements but the ones without the listed option just don’t have the switches (in front center console ) I remember the D2s were like this

No, it is an ordeal to retrofit factory seats. There is quite a bit of wiring missing.

I gave up on that and am getting ready to install some aftermarket elements.

Michael34

Well I guess that answers that question .
Thanks
Maybe find some used seats from a wrecked one ?

Ray_G

Explorer
Depending on the condition of the seats, a sidestep would be to get seat covers like the Wet Okle ones with their own carbon fiber seat heater elements in them. I love my seat covers, and am doing the combo on another truck (fingers crossed that I'm doing it since a Jimny and a Samurai aren't quite the same that is).
r-
Ray

Al Blue4.6l

Well I guess that answers that question .
Thanks
Maybe find some used seats from a wrecked one ?

The issue isn't the wiring in the seats. It's the wiring up into the dashboard. There is a thread or two over on the uk disco3 forum about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles