LR3 grind/groan start?

bentonrover

Observer
I've got a 06 LR3 V6 (110k) for the past 4 years. Been extremely reliable and a great family hauler. It used to be maybe 2 times a year I get what sounds like a grind when starting/cranking the rig over. It always fires up but the sound always got to me. Now its happening more frequently. I even left it at a shop for a week and well it didnt do it. Its a friend of a friend type deal but hes a straight up dude. Said he started it a couple of times a day and nothing. Only figures right? I bring it home and there it is again. Was wondering if anyone had this issue with the V6. I been all over the web looking. One post on a different forum had the same issue. But no answers lol. Driving me nuts. We all know what a starter sounds like. Dont really sound like that. I plan to remove the starter when I get a chance just to confirm. Possible timing chain or tensioner? Truck runs great with decent mileage. Any V6 rover mechanics out there?

Without actually hearing it, I would stick to the starter system and maybe battery volts first as it's much cheaper. If the batteries are not at full charge, it can keep the starter from completely engaging. Or, like you said, we know what a starter sounds like when the gears are worn. Loose cables can have the same affect.

Does it do it consistently for a few times once it happens? It will be fine for a while and then it happens and it will do it once or twice in a row and then it's fine again?

Timing chain would show a definite rumble in your timing! If that was the case, I believe it would be consistent and your idle would be way off and as you advance the throttle things would just get worse. You would at least feel and see it on the tech and keep in mind, if for some reason it was slipping, it would stay out of timing until fixed so I doubt that to be the problem.

You can pull the started and have it checked for free anywhere. If it's a load problem it will show up. Again, not knowing exactly what it sounds like, if it was me, that's where I would start.

bentonrover

Observer
Got the battery tested and it failed. It was also undersized. It was for a LR2 said the mechanic. Purchase from a automall who probably got it from an auction. We'll see. Thanks

bentonrover

Observer
Dont sound like that no. I tried recording it several times. Just never did it while I had the camera out. Truck definitely starts faster. Ill continue with this for now. When I get a chance pull the starter and get it tested

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles