LR3 gearing

soflorovers

My guess is the cost vs performance gain for most just isn’t worth it. I’d imagine you’re looking at $3k ish by the time you figure front and rear gears, install kits, and labor to set them up, even if you R&R your own diffs and mail them off.

Obviously if you’re adding an ARB or rebuilding a worn out diff that would be the time to change gears, but as an “upgrade” the juice just isn’t worth the squeeze.

Honestly I think I’d rather have an extra 30 hp. My LR3 on 32’s doesn’t have the guts to pull my enclosed trailer in 6th at 70 mph, so I sit in 5th and burn way more fuel. I think 30 hp would be enough to get it done based on messing with various speed, gear, rpm settings.
My LR3 without a trailer won't sit at 70 mph in 6th unless my foot is welded to the kickdown button. 35" tires will do that to you. A re-gear is absolutely necessary IMO for anything with a tire larger than a 33". Oh, and some food for thought....I have it on good authority that a 37" will fit if you do enough cutting. Maybe this is the inspiration we all needed

1595948680413.png

Has anyone found a reasonable solution to this? Since I started pulling a 2K lb trailer often, I'm really exploring regear. On 33s, with the trailer, I have to ride in 5th (and maintain abysmal MPGs) to maintain 70mph.

soflorovers

Has anyone found a reasonable solution to this? Since I started pulling a 2K lb trailer often, I'm really exploring regear. On 33s, with the trailer, I have to ride in 5th (and maintain abysmal MPGs) to maintain 70mph.
I hate to say it, but I think you're SOL. If @zelatore hasn't found anything, then I doubt there's a readily-accessible solution out there. I know the LR4 has taller gearing, so it's possible to go shorter on an LR4 by using LR3 gears, but I don't know of anything to go in the other way for the LR3. As much as I'd love to find a solution myself, I think you're stuck with factory gears. If you're really interested in solving this for everyone, I'd reach out to a reputable Australian 4x4 shop that deals with Ford Rangers and LR3's and see if they've had any luck. From my understanding, there's quite a lot of Ford in the LR3.

Carson G

Well the front diff is a Dana Spicer M200 And the rear is a M220. I can find gears for a M200 and M220 Solid axle all day long however I’m not sure if they’re the same as what’s in our clamshell diffs. I’m going to do more investigation on this in the near future when I pull my diffs out to rebuild them.

Carson G

I think The Bronco will have an M200 at one end.
I think it has a m210 with the front locker. I forget what the smaller one is but it’s a less than a 200mm ring gear. If you could get gears for the rear diff I bet you could make a Bronco diff work with very little work.

PatriotLandyTX

Starting to plan out chapter two for my LR3 and certainly interested in this conversation.

Has anyone done more looking into portals for the LR3 pertaining to the desire to lower gear ratio and raise these tanks up? That’s an attractive option for a few reasons, especially the idea of adding air lines to the tires through those portals... there’s a guy that did that on an old defender And it was a really awesome set up.

TroySmith80

Adventurer
I don't think i'm interested in portals but if gears come along, i might be interested in being part of a group buy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94