LR3 Engine Stall, Vapor Lock

John2139

So just an update on this. Cleaned the throttle body it was dirty. Also replaced the evap canaster and dtml pump. I filled her up today when leaving work and drove home. It stalled again coming off the freeway there is nice steep turn coming off the freeway and was 90 outside today too. Any one have an idea what to look at next?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Understanding that the systems are different, I had a very similar problem with my 2006 Dodge Charger. They eventually issued a recall that replaced a bunch of gas tanks. The problem as a I understood it was that a check valve in the evap line at the tank would rot out and fail, allowing liquid gas up the line when the tank was filled or during hard maneuvers, cornering, acceleration, etc... the canister would get liquid built up in it, and when the evap solenoid opened, much richer gas than the normal vapor would exit the canister. The engine would sense this and dial back the fuel, causing a stall at the end of the purge or when the liquid ran out and the system couldn’t return fuel through the injectors fast enough to keep running. Interestingly, because the engine stopped due to fuel turned off, it wasn’t really a “stall” and triggered no MIL. Sitting 10 minutes would allow a restart and you were usually good til the next fill up. For many months I drove the car without ever filling it all the way as i had learned that it would stall on acceleration within the first few miles of the fuel stop. So I has a car that would stall IF you put gas in it, and die IF you didn’t put gas in it! Fun.

This sounds suspiciously similar. Common fuel tank supplier perhaps?

John2139

Copy just stumbled across a TSB that speaks very close to what is happening. I'm going to reach out to Land Rover directly and see what they can do for me. Hoping for the best.

John2139

Well LR told me the TSB was completed in Oct of 2005 and any repairs will be at my cost. However they did offer to troubleshoot it for me for $200. A lightly used gas tank is $200... So really not sure what direction to go. Everything it's doing points at the TSB issue and what's another $200 for a gas tank...

John2139

So a nice update to this one... Figured I would bite the dust and purchase a lightly used gas tank and see if that will corect the issues and while I'm pulling off the tank might as well change the fuel pump too. Drop the tank and the tank I have is from March of 2007 and tank I bought is from Feb of 2007... Sweet Jesus... Swapped out with the new fuel pump and had some issues. It ended up being a fuse. Car starts up but guage reads emptier then empty. Test the resistance of the senders front sender is bad sounds like the float came off and is rattling around inside. So I go to the old tank and start the tare down and see that one of the tubes that is to go over the pump is missing.... I pull the old pump and see its aftermarket. So no im wondering if all the stalling was due to that tube not being put back in the right place when someone changed the fuel pumps out... Anyone have any idea what that tub is for over the fuel pump?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles