LR3 / Discovery 3 Coil Conversion +2" Question

JackAttack13

Observer
Hi All,

I have a 2005 LR3 that I have owned for about a year now. Been replacing and fixing items that are in need before heading out to do some remote back country travel. The unfortunate part of the equation is the EAS. I have not had any issue with it other than a few suspension errors on washboard roads, which are apparently common, but this has given me some fear in the back of my head that the suspension would be the weak link in this Overland build. I looked extensively into coil conversion options and it looks as if the only real option is the AB +2" OME kit. I am currently running Johnson Rods with +2.5" and am running 265/70/R18 Tires. Aprox 32.5" tires. I have some brand new BFG AT's on there and do not want to throw money down the drain by selling them off at cut rate, so I am curious if any of you guys have experience with this size tire on a Coil Conversion +2"

I called AB and they said they could not help, which I find kind of annoying since they make the kit. Seems like a reasonable thing to know if you are going to sell lift kits. I also scoured the web and found reviews, and pros and cons, but no real info on tire size. Any info on this would be great. Thanks.

Ray_G

Explorer
I'm running the +2 on 285/60/18's at the moment, so call them 31.5's. Gut instinct tells me there is 1/2 radius to play with but I don't know that for certain, you may have to play with the frame horns and/or some of the wheel well lining.

Likewise you def want to order the 13mm spacer (RNG500060; https://www.lrdirect.com/RNG500060-Spacer/) as AB won't have it in the kit and if nothing else it tends to level the back out a little better.

If you really were stressing, it wouldn't be too difficult to make a 1/2 spacer to get you back to the 2.5" rod height. (Or hit up someone like Toddco and ask them to custom make a setup at the height you want based off this product; http://store.toddcosuspensions.com/lr3.html)

I would't be too hard on AB; they don't make this kit-they repackage as though its theirs but it is a UK kit I'm fairly certain.
r-
Ray

Eniam17

Adventurer
Hi All,

I have a 2005 LR3 that I have owned for about a year now. Been replacing and fixing items that are in need before heading out to do some remote back country travel. The unfortunate part of the equation is the EAS. I have not had any issue with it other than a few suspension errors on washboard roads, which are apparently common, but this has given me some fear in the back of my head that the suspension would be the weak link in this Overland build. I looked extensively into coil conversion options and it looks as if the only real option is the AB +2" OME kit. I am currently running Johnson Rods with +2.5" and am running 265/70/R18 Tires. Aprox 32.5" tires. I have some brand new BFG AT's on there and do not want to throw money down the drain by selling them off at cut rate, so I am curious if any of you guys have experience with this size tire on a Coil Conversion +2"

I called AB and they said they could not help, which I find kind of annoying since they make the kit. Seems like a reasonable thing to know if you are going to sell lift kits. I also scoured the web and found reviews, and pros and cons, but no real info on tire size. Any info on this would be great. Thanks.

A number of people have said they didn't get a full 2" of lift with the ab coil conversion if that helps. I personally wouldn't want a 32.5" tire with a 2" or less coil conversion based on the rubbing I get with 265/65 , wheel spacers, and 50mm loft via iid tool, but others might disagree

JackAttack13

Observer
A number of people have said they didn't get a full 2" of lift with the ab coil conversion if that helps. I personally wouldn't want a 32.5" tire with a 2" or less coil conversion based on the rubbing I get with 265/65 , wheel spacers, and 50mm loft via iid tool, but others might disagree

I read that some people seemed to get 1" of lift, which is why I called them to find out the whole scoop. Forum information can sometimes be all over the place. I wouldn't foresee it being too difficult to put a spacer in, it is just finding someone to make them. Thanks for the heads up. I love the look of the larger tires, but may need to drop a size or two just to keep it simple.

JackAttack13

Observer
I'm running the +2 on 285/60/18's at the moment, so call them 31.5's. Gut instinct tells me there is 1/2 radius to play with but I don't know that for certain, you may have to play with the frame horns and/or some of the wheel well lining.

Likewise you def want to order the 13mm spacer (RNG500060; https://www.lrdirect.com/RNG500060-Spacer/) as AB won't have it in the kit and if nothing else it tends to level the back out a little better.

If you really were stressing, it wouldn't be too difficult to make a 1/2 spacer to get you back to the 2.5" rod height. (Or hit up someone like Toddco and ask them to custom make a setup at the height you want based off this product; http://store.toddcosuspensions.com/lr3.html)

I would't be too hard on AB; they don't make this kit-they repackage as though its theirs but it is a UK kit I'm fairly certain.
r-
Ray

Do you feel like articulation was severely impacted. I am not doing any serious rock crawling, and I know the EAS isn't the most flexible system out there, but I don't want to turn my rig into a new Cherokee that lifts a wheel on speed bumps. LOL

Ray_G

Explorer
Do you feel like articulation was severely impacted. I am not doing any seraious rock crawling, and I know the EAS isn't the most flexible system out there, but I don't want to turn my rig into a new Cherokee that lifts a wheel on speed bumps. LOL

Articulation loss (fundamentally downtravel) is well covered in my build thread, including a side by side with an EAS truck to show the delta.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/143540-NAS-LR3-build-with-an-overseas-twist/page36

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Hey Ray, I hadn't seen that comparison write-up before. Good info. I've been fighting a front end drop for almost a year. Swap the problem item, gets better for a bit, then another item acts up. I've replaced Arnott springs more times now than I want to say. They were awesome on the P38, but quality has dropped way off now. First set lasted a year, replaced and within two weeks one of the bags had such a major leak, it put me on the bumpstops. The valve block has been replaced twice. Also a height sensor and an air line. Seemed to all be good but the front is now dropping to access height again overnight. Really thinking for peace of mind, just switch to coils. The only reason I haven't yet pulled the trigger is I tow a TCTeardops trailer in the summer and I like the self-leveling feature. But I'm thinking a 1500 lb loaded trailer won't cause that much of a drop at the rear so come spring, if I'm keeping the truck, I think the change will happen.

Ray_G

Explorer
Colin-
Would be very interested to see how it would react with a light trailer. For anyone pulling at capacity clearly the coil conversion isn't a good idea (the primary reason I'd keep it, in fact, would be for towing).

Switching to coils isn't a panacea; but it also isn't the end of days! I have zero regrets about it-and everytime I see a $5k truck these days I think about grabbing one, immediately switching it to coils to get rid of a variable and giving it to my daughter.
r-
Ray

JackAttack13

Observer
Articulation loss (fundamentally downtravel) is well covered in my build thread, including a side by side with an EAS truck to show the delta.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/143540-NAS-LR3-build-with-an-overseas-twist/page36

Great write up! That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. What it seems like to me is the design of the shock used on the rear does not allow the same amount of droop to facilitate the full amount of allowable travel. Most suspension designs are limited by the contact of their A-Arms on bump stops, but since the factory A-Arms allowed the impressive amount of rear travel with the EAS, the weak link has to be within the shock design. One thing I noticed with the AB kit is that the shocks are "House" branded. I wonder how hard it would be to get a performance brand coil over stuffed in there instead. I am talking Radflo, ICON, Fox, Etc. These shocks are designed to maximize travel internally and have a much better off road performance then OEM grade shocks with aftermarket coils.

Also, for anyone interested, I am working with my buddy who owns Nisstec, a large supplier of Nissan parts to the offroad community to possibly make a run of top coil spacers to boost up that 2" coil conversion to approx 3". I looked at ToddCo but I refuse to pay 500 dollars for a set of spacers. Highway robbery. If anyone is interested let me know, I would like a true 2.5" lift once I convert. Thanks.

unseenone

Explorer

r-
Ray

Is Toddco still in business? I called and called, trying to get some of his lift spacers, no response or return e-mail.

unseenone

Explorer
Great write up!
Also, for anyone interested, I am working with my buddy who owns Nisstec, a large supplier of Nissan parts to the offroad community to possibly make a run of top coil spacers to boost up that 2" coil conversion to approx 3". I looked at ToddCo but I refuse to pay 500 dollars for a set of spacers. Highway robbery. If anyone is interested let me know, I would like a true 2.5" lift once I convert. Thanks.

I know a guy in Australia that needs a full set.

JackAttack13

Observer
I know a guy in Australia that needs a full set.

I am in for as set myself, so that is two people as of right now. If I can get a decent amount of people interested, he would definitely try and throw something together.

I am also talking with him about getting custom Radflo Coilovers made up for the LR3. The LR3 would be a beast with some nice performance C/O's with eibach springs under it. I know he already makes the custom alloy tophats for the Nissan models including the Titan swap kit for the Xterra, so its all about trial and error, test fitting, and getting the valving correct for this hefty rig. I also need to contact AB and find out if they can sell the module separately from their kit that kills the electronics.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
My wife and daughter are the smart ones in the family. They both drive Rav4's. :)
Colin-
Would be very interested to see how it would react with a light trailer. For anyone pulling at capacity clearly the coil conversion isn't a good idea (the primary reason I'd keep it, in fact, would be for towing).

Switching to coils isn't a panacea; but it also isn't the end of days! I have zero regrets about it-and everytime I see a $5k truck these days I think about grabbing one, immediately switching it to coils to get rid of a variable and giving it to my daughter.
r-
Ray

JackAttack13

Observer
My wife and daughter are the smart ones in the family. They both drive Rav4's. :)

HA!! I can relate, but I am the opposite. I currently have a built Nissan Xterra that I drive as my rig, and the wife has the LR3. I am finding that I am getting more into the Overland scene and the Xterra has some serious downfalls, the largest of them being a cramped interior. I had to lose 2 passenger seats just to make a basic fridge slide / shelf. We are contemplating selling the Xterra and finishing out the LR3 but have some serious concerns about back country travel on EAS, and I do not like to have problems like that nagging in the back of my head although I have been lucky to have zero issues on the EAS thus far. Here is my rig.

14479555_10108170668885975_8054809572902433931_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles