LR3 Differential Backlash?

Blaise

Been putting off my Front Diff rebuild and it's time to get it done. I'm shocked but LK8 stocks the diff rebuild kit but hasn't got any information on the actual rebuild process.

This isn't my first diff rebuild, so I'm not in the dark here. Pressing in seals and bearings and races are clear. I also do aircraft repair for a living so I'm 100% comfortable getting dirty.

However - I cannot find the backlash adjustment spec or process. This diff doesn't have the carrier bearing adjustment the Toyotas do.

Anyone?

Can't help you Amigo, but I would love to see you do a detailed log on this page right here so when I'm ready to do mine, I know where to go! lol

Blaise

I've googled.... I'm asking for a reason. There's even some rebuild photos here on ExPo but no info on the actual backlash or process. Nothing in the service manual either.

gatorgrizz27

Useenone on here seems to be the LR diff expert. Do you mean that there are no shims in either side of the carrier bearings? If so, the only backlash adjustment would be pinion depth via shim. Obviously this would change the gear contact pattern also, but should still be able to be done within the normal range.

From my limited experience, if you’re reusing the carrier and gears, the original shim configuration will get you VERY close. On my own vehicle (not a customer’s) I’d be fine setting it back up as it was and manually checking for very slight free play (~1-2 degrees of rotation) without a spec to go by.

t42beal13t

Adventurer
A shop near me reinstalls a fair amount of ARBs in LR3 diffs and they may be able to assist over the phone?

Blaise

I swapped in a used diff with ~.019" of lash and good bearings.

Folks, if you have any noise up front, swap the diff. Mine looked HORRIFIC but you could barely hear it. Huge chunks of the coating coming off the housing and eating up the rollers. Now that its swapped out I still need to rebuild it so I'm interested in lash info if anyone can find some.

Nelson

Hi, having built quite a lot off differentials (30 years worth full time transmission builder) I always set between .004 - .007 thou or .1 - .15 metric check footprint but don’t sweat about it too much. Any high ( tight ) spots will disappear when running in , and I mean running in ..have a bit of mechanical sympathy and common sense. Remember backlash felt at the prop feels massive the only way is a DTI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior