LR3 Cracked Alpine Roof Glass

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
After 6 years of ownership I have managed to crack the roof glass on my LR3. What started as a small nick in the back has started to propagate forward. The price of the glass is pushing $1000 and the install will be $300+. Insurance will cover it but, the deductible is $500. So thinking about the glass and how it basically pointless with the rack and tent up there I have begun thinking of replacing it with an aluminum plate. The plate could be painted and held down just like the glass would be. This would alleviate my stress every time I load up the rack.

The density of glass and aluminum is pretty close. The contour of the glass seems pretty minimal. A pass through the rollers should do the trick. If I go this route, I'll try to post this up on the site.

Jeremy

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Probably will not say this right but are you sure your deductible for glass breakage is $500? Most policies have a different deductible for collision and comprehensive and some even have a different one for glass.

EIGHTLUG

Observer
The glass cracked on our LR3 from some road debris. Our deductible is 500 and that's what insurance ran with. We also did get a little rash above the P/S doors that was repaired. Auto Body shop said the Alpine Roof was an extreme pain in the ***. Grubby little hand prints all over our headliner. I took pictures and had insurance demand they replace the headliner. Then... my Daughter finds that the rear entertainment system quit working. Back it went to get a new one installed. The whole ordeal was a nightmare.

Just a couple weeks ago, the housing for the third brake light broke loose and since the last people to touch it was the body shop, I went back there and had them install a new one. Beware of Abra Auto Body... you can't run away fast enough.

Oh and I'd like to see your modded roof. That's actually a pretty good idea.

Last edited:

JAK

Probably will not say this right but are you sure your deductible for glass breakage is $500? Most policies have a different deductible for collision and comprehensive and some even have a different one for glass.

Different zero cost deductible for the windshield only. All other glass is considered body damage. Crack grew about eight inches today on the sunlight.

JimBiram

Adventurer
I'm on my 4th roof glass. Last time a jeep kicked up some rocks that dropped on it. I've got $500 deductible too.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk 4

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Different zero cost deductible for the windshield only. All other glass is considered body damage. Crack grew about eight inches today on the sunlight.

OK. Ours is different than yours as all glass is $50 but I know those things vary by company and by state.

Lecoq

Explorer
The aluminum panel sounds like a good idea. It'll probably cost less than your deductible and your insurance won't go up. It's a win win.

t42beal13t

Adventurer
Maybe someone should cut a large protective film to go on the top glass. Think protective screen cover for your smart phone.

JAK

Maybe someone should cut a large protective film to go on the top glass. Think protective screen cover for your smart phone.

That is a good idea. Like Minis the roof could have a vinyl graphic applied. I have no idea how much protection it would offer.

A quick check last night on the roof contour and it looks like it is contoured in both directions. This will make it much harder to make, an English wheel will be needed.

Javelinadave

Adventurer
Find a shop that does aircraft sheet metal work. It may be a tad more money but they make odd curved aluminum panels all day.

JAK

Find a shop that does aircraft sheet metal work. It may be a tad more money but they make odd curved aluminum panels all day.

I'm in the aerospace business... A thin sheet say .050 would not be a problem as it would pull down on its own, I want to do .156-.188 thick. A bit trickier to form without tooling. A thin sheet would be noisy without stiffeners on it. I may break out my CMM and get the actual shape off the glass and go from there. This morning checked the crack and three more have opened up on the edges. It is still confined to the upper pane of glass so nothing on the inside yet.

unseenone

Explorer
I just had mine replaced, the spiderweb was spreading too much. I found the glass online for as little as 650 new, + shipping. I ended up having it done at the dealer, who probably used a sub contractor (at least they can do something right). The total cost was 900 for the glass and 500.00 for the installation. Then I spend an additional 150 to have it re-tinted which helps keep it cooler in the cab.

If you had the baja rack and add flooring to it, I would think that would be more than adequate protection, their floor rails are close together, and it's really a rugged unit. I highly recommend that route. See it here... http://www.bajarack.com/land-rover-discovery-3-exp

Available from http://Lucky8llc.com

psykokid

Explorer
Hrmm.. seems like a more common problem than one would think on the LR3. FWIW I would cover any newly replaced glass with a protective film like lamin-x that they sell for headlight protection. They sell large sheets and you can get it in a dark tinted version as well..

I've run it on glass lenses on race cars that have recieved their fair share of gravel kicked up. I also have a friend with a fiat 850 spider with the euro lights (same Carello lenses as lambo miura) that keeps them protected with the same stuff. Seems the lenses for those headlights are made of rocking horse poo. He lost one a few years ago to a rampant stone, took him 6 months to source a new one. Been covered ever since..

JAK

I just had mine replaced, the spiderweb was spreading too much. I found the glass online for as little as 650 new, + shipping. I ended up having it done at the dealer, who probably used a sub contractor (at least they can do something right). The total cost was 900 for the glass and 500.00 for the installation. Then I spend an additional 150 to have it re-tinted which helps keep it cooler in the cab.

If you had the baja rack and add flooring to it, I would think that would be more than adequate protection, their floor rails are close together, and it's really a rugged unit. I highly recommend that route. See it here... http://www.bajarack.com/land-rover-discovery-3-exp

I have the Baja Rack. Put my knee down on the edge by the third brake light, perhaps a third of my 180lbs half on half off and heard a little crackle sound in the glass . I have had many things hit the roof with no problems. The vulnerable area is the edge at the back.

unseenone

Explorer
Ya, and don't use it for a ladder either.... :drool: check with Justin @ lucky8 he may be able to save money on the roof, but you'll still end up dealing with shipping and finding an installer... so might be easier to let the dealer sort it. The dealer ordered mine, and when it finally came, they had ordered the wrong one, so I ended up waiting 5 more weeks for the correct one to arrive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier