LR3 coolant leak question

PTB

Observer
Hi all,

Just want to run something by the collective wisdom to see if it sounds right.

My 06' LR3 is in for its 105k. The car is new to me. Rover indie mechanic called because he found a crack and drip level leak in the coolant "manifold" which is apparently made of plastic? He says it is not an uncommon problem. He quoted about $700 for parts and labor to fix.

He seems like a straight shooter, but you know what they say...trust, but verify. Any thoughts? Sound reasonable?

Thanks,
PTB

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
...sounds a bit spendy.

http://www.roverpartswest.com/parts...teid=216120&vehicleid=1432798&diagram=7116048 or http://www.roverpartswest.com/parts...teid=216120&vehicleid=1432798&diagram=7116046 show all the cooling system related parts.

A reasonable shop rate would be $50-$75. If it is perhaps done perfect a 4 hour job. Part markup would be 15-20%, coolant flush and new coolant would be a $150 tops. I can see where the $700 might com from but I'd do it myself at that price. However if you think the guy is on the level it would be good to develop a relationship with him to service the LR3.

Hi all,

Just want to run something by the collective wisdom to see if it sounds right.

My 06' LR3 is in for its 105k. The car is new to me. Rover indie mechanic called because he found a crack and drip level leak in the coolant "manifold" which is apparently made of plastic? He says it is not an uncommon problem. He quoted about $700 for parts and labor to fix.

He seems like a straight shooter, but you know what they say...trust, but verify. Any thoughts? Sound reasonable?

Thanks,
PTB

unseenone

Explorer
Specifically what part are you looking to replace. Typically the leak is the thermostat housing, so you would change the thermostat and housing. I've heard about a manifold, and the mechanic said it was not much more parts wise.. I'm can't find my receipt from the last time I had it done. With that mileage, you might want to get a BG cooling system flush at the same time maybe.

Also try lucky8llc.com for the parts, just give Justin a call.

https://www.landrovermerriamparts.c...teid=215719&vehicleid=1430989&diagram=7116048

Last edited:

PTB

Observer
Embarrassingly I am not sure what specific part he is talking about. Unfortunately I work about 25 miles from the shop, so its not easy to pop in to look at what he is talking about. He referred to it as a manifold. Thank you for the diagrams and parts list links. I'll take a look through those.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
...sounds a bit spendy.... A reasonable shop rate would be $50-$75

That is absurdly low.

I have seen the thermostat housings leak, but not sure what you are referring to as the manifold. The thermostat is a quick job.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I just had the water pump and manifold replaced on mine (luckily under warranty).
it can crack ... albeit usually hairline (according to my mechanic). But, for comparison, the local LR dealership charges $124/hour for labor, so depending on the price of the part and figure 4 hours minimum to replace, I don't think he is far out of line.
Hope that helps ease the pain.
D

unseenone

Explorer
Here it is-- LR005631 That's the full manifold, with thermostat. I think that might be what he is talking about. The part runs in the 100.00 range. Labor should run 2-4 hours. Depending on his rate, and other stuff it may be close.

PTB

Observer
Thanks all. And thanks for the part number unseenone. Since I asked him to save the parts it'll be easy to compare. Looking around on the forums it looks like the housing for the thermostat is prone to breakage.

PTB

Observer
Thought I'd share the break down. It was part LR005631 as suspected by unseenone. Charged $147 for the manifold and thermostat. $28 for coolant and 4 hours at $125 per. For a total of roughly $675 before tax. I can't see a crack in the manifold itself, but there are deposits that look like they are from a leak.

I'll try and post a picture of the old part in case anyone is interested. Thanks again for all the info and comments.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke