LR3 - Control Arm and Bushing Replacement

tdhunter13

Observer
Afternoon Everyone,

So I am going to preface my below question with the following. I have dug through many discussion forums, videos, and threads on EP(including my own) without finding much pertinent information.

My LR3, affectionately named Lux, is on year 13 with ~130k and in need of arms, bushings, links, etc. I replaced LCAs, links, and sway bar bushings at around ~65k but all else is still stock. So I am wanting to do a full overhaul (pic for ref below) this Christmas while I have a week off. (In addition to a new thermostat assembly, compressor "rebuild", and valve block cleaning.)

What I am trying to figure out is if anybody has experience taking out and pressing in new bushings (polys don't count), into any of the arms or rear knuckles. While I would love to buy 8 new complete arms, I do no think that is going to be financially feasible. I have the previous LCAs, which I would like to take bushings and ball joints out of and put new ones in. But as most that have replaced them before know, they are the beefiest and most difficult.

So does anyone have any experience pressing in the new bushings and ball joint into the LCAs or other arms? Note that my question does also include the rear knuckle as well, because I plan to press those too. Would appreciate any advice that y'all have.
1636757988033.png

Thanks,
Tyler

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Tyler, there were threads on the D3.UK forum a while back about people doing that. Never looked easy and the concensus was that control arm replacement was the way to go. However, it can be done and was accomplished by a few people. Getting the bushings out involves a making a mess and a heck of a lot noise (mostly you swearing) while wielding an air chisel. I don’t know any other reliable way to remove them. Pushing the new ones in isn’t too bad if you lube them up and use a press, like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html

You’ll want to buy a set of sacrificial impact sockets that match the diameters of your bushings to pound on or press on to push the old bearing races out. Also bathing them in penetrating oil will not hurt.

JimBiram

Adventurer
Depending on how worn the bushings and control arms are, you may be forced to replace them as the new bushings might not seat properly in the worn control arm. I have experienced this a few times so if doing yourself, you may want to have ready access to replacements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soflorovers

Furthermore, depending on mileage, your control arms may be damaged or on their way to failure. I personally have never seen it on a truck with rubber bushings, but my previous LR3 with polybush had multiple control arm failures where the eyelet for the bushing completely failed.

I'm in the slow process of a suspension/ brakes/ rust prevention overhaul on my 05 salt belt D3. Pertaining to the control arms I had to take a sawzall to a number of the bolts. The rear upper arm bolts had actually frozen to the bushing and took an hour just for one bolt. You may want to confirm you can loosen all of them before your week off. Cutting mine out the arms took a couple hits due to the angle the saw had to take.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94