Lr3 ceiling mounting points?

Hey All,

I'm in the planning stages for my drawer and sleeping platform. I'm thinking of trying to incorporate a cargo net barrier that could also be used as front half of the sleeping platform when hung from the back of the front seats, kinda hammock style. I'm also planning on making some brackets to install the BROG land cruiser attic in the third row sunroof.

I'm wondering if anyone has installed rivnut inserts in the ceiling. My idea is to mount l-track on the center cross member to be able to hang cargo net from. Just really don't want to accidentally screw into or block any airbags.

In the 3rd row sunroof, it would be nice to install rivnuts in the four corners of the recess to mount the attic net. Seems cleaner and stronger than a bracket that attaches to grab handle mounting points.

The drawer/ sleeping platform is going to be a mix of drifta, goose gear and land shark kiss drawers. My plan is to have one wide drawer on the right side and a low fridge slide on the left underneath the full width platform.

Dog barrier mounts to the pillars.

As far as rivnuts, there is no need to upgrade or modify the existing mounting points; if you are going to hang more weight on those than the grab handle mounts can handle, there is going to be bigger problems to deal with. I am building a metal hanging rack similar to the Mantech and using the existing mounting screws/inserts.

Just my opinion on that increase in weight or mounting upgrade!

krick3tt

Adventurer
Although the roof/ceiling is fabric backed with lightweight wooden molded type material it would not be a good idea to screw or mount anything to it that carries anymore weight than tissue paper. You might be able/willing to remove the grab handles and use those mounting points to screw into with the same size threaded fasteners, I think that is all you are going to get.

To clarify my point, exactly what @krick3tt is saying only he said it much more eloquently! lol

You should not mount anywhere else than the mounting points. As a matter of fact, the headliner is only fastened to the ceiling at those grab-handle points and the sun visor mounts. The rest of the panel is held in with the normal plastic clip rivets which will cause the headliner to come off the ceiling with just a little weight/force.

I just found your build thread, my thought was to drop the headliner to find soild metal to install the rivnuts. But at this point I think I'll just go with the grab handle brackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior