LR3 Brake controller install

PhyrraM

Adventurer
After purchasing a trailer for the Scouts, I searched for a brake trailer controller install on an LR3 for inspiration. I mostly came up short, other than pretty traditional "under the dash" units. I did come across the Hopkins
InSIGHT™ Flex-Mount™ Brake Control
that seemed a bit more appropriate to the way the LR3 is actually built. Here a few pics of the install, both to show off a bit and provide some ideas for the next guy. I used the FORD Plug-In Simple!® Brake Control Connector to keep it a plug and play affair.

As seen in below pics I mounted the very light main unit using a single trim bolt and seems perfectly secure. Running the cable to the hand controller on the center console was kinda a pain, but not too difficult.

47297.13 by phyrram, on Flickr
20160227_145432_HDR by phyrram, on Flickr
20160227_145513 by phyrram, on Flickr
20160227_145506 by phyrram, on Flickr
20160227_145525 by phyrram, on Flickr
20160227_145535 by phyrram, on Flickr
20160227_145544 by phyrram, on Flickr

PhyrraM

Adventurer
It works as well as any other brake controller I've used through the years. This one works on inertia and sensed speed changes of the truck to control the voltage to the trailer brakes. (as opposed to lower end units that just use time of brake application to control the trailer brakes)

PhyrraM

Adventurer
New observation....the LR3 provides power to the brake controller all the time. It does not shut off with the ignition. I wasn't expecting this. So far the only downside is that the manual controller has a small red LED lit all the time. I'll consider it an extra security warning light for now. No idea of the battery drain yet, if anything.

Also, more of an FYI at this point for those interested, while troubleshooting a faulty left hand turn/left hand brake taillight issue on the trailer I discovered that there is no direct connection to the trailer lights for the brake/stop lights. No relays, no fuses, no piggybacked wires on the truck light circuits. The inside fusebox is "smart" and the microprocessor turns those trailer lights on directly with a dedicated transistor (mosfet) for each direction. So, if a light isn't working you likely have a bad fusebox. Land Rovers literature says the circuit has software current monitoring to keep it from blowing and safety shutoff if current is exceeded or shorted. It also supposedly resets itself when everything is fine again, but not for me apparently. That's where I am now. I have obtained a used fusebox but it needs to be programmed to the truck. I do have the Faultmate so I'm hoping I can that myself.

unseenone

Explorer
Ah... the trailer ball fitted option... good point. Where did you tap in the power on this, the brake lights do not work when the vehicle is off, but... I did notice the trailer lights flickered when I've pulled some trailers.... ie: the LED issue.. so it must be hot, I have not confirmed that with a multimeter.

Did you also just install the trailer wiring harness/kit as well, or did you have it working before, or just trailer light issues?

For what it is worth, Bruce has an extensive set of stuff on trailer wiring in his disco gallery. I think it would be well worth a fairly extensive look through the main documents he has there, as well as the brake controller stuff listed for kicks. He has extensive descriptions for all the various bits.

Last edited:

johnsoax

Adventurer
My brake controller shuts off the same way the radio screen light does. That is, when the truck falls to sleep after 5-10 minutes..

I have a P3 brake controller plugged in using the Ford plug. I really like your setup though, as I can't really reach my controller well in the event that I need to make adjustments.

My owner's manual talks about a fuse block in the driver side rear compartment for trailer brakes.. I haven't checked to see if that is actually there. And there is no left hand side fuse for some reason.

PhyrraM

Adventurer
My brake controller shuts off the same way the radio screen light does. That is, when the truck falls to sleep after 5-10 minutes..

I have a P3 brake controller plugged in using the Ford plug. I really like your setup though, as I can't really reach my controller well in the event that I need to make adjustments.

My owner's manual talks about a fuse block in the driver side rear compartment for trailer brakes.. I haven't checked to see if that is actually there. And there is no left hand side fuse for some reason.

I'll check to see if it goes to sleep, but the wiring diagram I have makes it look like power comes straight from the battery through fusible link 6E to the Ford trailer brake connector.

The rear fuse box does not exist on my LR3 ('06 HSE). Google research seems to indicate it does not exist on North American trucks.

PhyrraM

Adventurer
Did you also just install the trailer wiring harness/kit as well, or did you have it working before, or just trailer light issues?

I've had the OEM trailer wiring kit installed for a while now. When I first installed it, I found a bit of skinned wire on the truck side of the harness. It was there from a previous owner or from manufacture. It was taped up and everything worked fine.

Before we bought the new trailer for the scouts one of the families was gracious enough to let us borrow a trailer when needed. This trailer was constantly having trouble with the left lights. I always assumed it was only the trailer, and at times it surely was. However, my guess is that the trailer eventually took out the left circuit in my LR3s fusebox.

johnsoax

Adventurer
I'll check to see if it goes to sleep, but the wiring diagram I have makes it look like power comes straight from the battery through fusible link 6E to the Ford trailer brake connector.

The rear fuse box does not exist on my LR3 ('06 HSE). Google research seems to indicate it does not exist on North American trucks.

Forgot to check last night.. Will try to run out at lunch and see if I have the fuse block or not.

johnsoax

Adventurer
Looking at the wiring diagram, and I don't see the fuse block listed. I also see that the power for the brake controller comes straight from the battery at the fuse you said. Will see if my brake controller is lit when I get out at lunch too.

johnsoax

Adventurer
I do not have a fuse block in the back. And my P3 brake controller must fall asleep itself. When I press a button it wakes back up without turning on the ignition.

unseenone

Explorer
I've done this installation. It does not go to sleep, at least when the trailer is connected. Otherwise, the installation was about 15 minutes, and it works great with the Hopkins gear outlined. Thank you for posting the information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles