LR3 block heater

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
Good morning all.
As I plan trip up north after Christmas, specifically to James bay area, the issue with not having block heater installed resurfaced again. I own a 2005 V8 LR3 with 260 000 miles on it and I was wondering if anybody has any experience with block heater install on this particular truck. Local dealer quoted me 6 hours of work which in todays tariff will account for at least 1000 US dollars. Ouch!!! Apparently they need to lower diff a bit to gain access to freeze plug. I will try to do it myself on the driveway but is it possible for this plug to give me trouble after sitting in the block untouched for 15 years ? Am I looking for possible sheering off or stripping ?
Another approach is to not install it and just take chances with cold starts up there in northern Canada for a few days. end of December temps should not be that brutal compered to lets say February, but what do I know..I don't live there so can't say for sure.I ran conventional 5W30 oil in my LR and so far it is all good.
Please share some knowledge if you can as I really don't want to break anything nor substitute for a heating pads. Thank you.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
I live in Minnesota where the winters get cold. Last year we had a polar vortex whip through and the temps were around -25F (-32C) or colder and my LR3 could handle it no problem. Sure things go a little slower but it never lets me down when it's that cold. Save your money for maintenance or fun stuff.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Good morning all.
As I plan trip up north after Christmas, specifically to James bay area, the issue with not having block heater installed resurfaced again. I own a 2005 V8 LR3 with 260 000 miles on it

To echo @DiscoNels , it's basically a non-issue whatsoever. I visit Grand Marias during winters and one time, in my 96 disco it was litterally -30's for a week one january. It always started and the lr3 is even better at it.

However, a dual battery is IMO a better choice than blowing $$$ on block heater installation. My mom lives up there too and never has a problem. 100,000's of people drive around up there without block heaters although it may be a vehicle generational thing because I sure do remember as a kid in Duluth MN lots of cars with the plug hanging out the front.

I just replaced what was probably the original lr3 starter on my 2007 with just 166,000 miles so you might want to be sure that is solid or have a small 'whacker' and be able to access the spot underneath if you ever need to ********** the starter to help it get moving.

True winter tires are a very good plan though. I got the Nokian Hakkapellitta LT2 studded in 245-75-17 on factory wheels but non-studded are fine for the lr3 too with it's great traction control as long as they are narrower. Nokian also for our two wagons with the Audi on the WRG2 "all-weather" (great in snow but used local daily and as a backup winter car) and the BMW wagon on Nokian R2 which is a pure winter.

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
Thanks guys. I actually have Nokian WRG3 mounted on stock 19's. Previously had WRG2 and Rottivas installed.They should be sufficient enough for roads up north. i was thinking of buying a Zerostart 250 W stick on heating pad but will see if i have time to even install it on side of the oil sump.
As far as battery, it is relatively new and starter works well although it is still an original unit.

762X39

Explorer
It was -25 C on the way up to my cottage on Saturday morning. All our vehicles have factory installed block heaters. Heck, they cost less than $100 and it beats having to build a fire under the oilpan in the morning. My brothers place north of Thunder Bay has been around -24 C for a bit now. I can't see any harm in plugging in at night...

mpinco

Expedition Leader
When I pulled into the hotel in Jamestown ND many years ago all the parking spots had power outlets ....... for block heaters. Sure is nice to not have to wait for the heater to blow warm air.

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
Sure it is nice, but not the particular installation on LR3. I took my front diff out twice already. If I know that I would ever need a block heater, I would install one back then, providing that 15 years old freeze plug would not give me trouble. It sits after all in the aluminum block. May be hard to remove after all those years..

Jwestpro

Explorer
It was -25 C on the way up to my cottage on Saturday morning. All our vehicles have factory installed block heaters. Heck, they cost less than $100 and it beats having to build a fire under the oilpan in the morning. My brothers place north of Thunder Bay has been around -24 C for a bit now. I can't see any harm in plugging in at night...

He did not mention a $100 option.... what is yours? I think for many vehicles it's cheap but maybe he only found some involved one or it's due to the engine area design. Still, my mom drives around Grand Marais area without one for years on 4 different vehicles and never mentioned being stuck without a start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke