[ LR3 ] another lift option - OOPS

SpencerFitch

Observer
I recently converted my air suspension LR3 to coilers with the Atlantic British Kit.[ Yada Yada Wheel travel Resale Blah Blah. Dont want to hear it. ]
I have since been back at stock height [having previously used rods] Well I confirmed today that the LR3 I believe uses the EXACT same suspension struts as the Ford Expedition.

I could have put in Bigger springs, but
1, Im not guaranteed what would work.
2, I HATE HATE HATE taking apart struts
3, it would move the shock from its center point.

So these spacer kits are perfect.

What I had a problem with was how to get a Even lift. All the lifts that are sold on ebay for the expedition are 1"- 1.5" higher than the rear [because of the heavy rake of expeditions] however my truck was already level and I didn't want the front sitting higher than the rear. So I ordered the 2" front + 1" back and bought an additional 1" rear to stack. Total cost 180$ shipped. Im waiting for the rest of the kit to come in tuesday but I already got my additional 1" lift for the rear in and it fits the bolt pattern and everything PERFECTLY.

I should have it installed next weekend. Or tuesday if I get impatient.

I had no problems running my truck at permanent 2.5" lift so I have no worries that a 2" lift is going to do any damage.

Im also going to add a 1-2" body lift to it shortly. I love being the first person to do this type of stuff.

Last edited:

Mack73

Adventurer
Thanks for the info.

With the AB kit, was there a computer to install to trick it into forgetting about the Air suspension? do you have any lights on the dash? Also assuming the terrain response is deactivated?

SpencerFitch

Observer
It does come with a device that can program it. Heck no its still got the terrain response. There are no faults but the air suspension light is always lit. Red which I'm fine with. It's not very bright.

I cannot conferm but I have heard that expedition struts wether it be air or coil are also interchangeable. I think it's for expedition years 03-11. Makes sense they were owned by ford and it's not the only price on the truck that I have found marked ford

Mack73

Adventurer
It does come with a device that can program it. Heck no its still got the terrain response. There are no faults but the air suspension light is always lit. Red which I'm fine with. It's not very bright.

Awesome - does the special programs in terrain response still work? I assumed terrain response was disabled since all the coilers come from the factory without it

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Awesome - does the special programs in terrain response still work? I assumed terrain response was disabled since all the coilers come from the factory without it

Not exactly correct. Some coilers had it, some didn't. They shipped over 27 special vehicles with all sorts of configurations, to figure out what to bundle into the USA models. As for TR, on my coiler, it did not have the EASY button, but it had all the systems, it just lacked the integration. You had to use your hands and feet to integrate the various TC systems.

Gerry at OC Rovers did a 4" body lift and King coilover swap, running 35" tires, but LR took the rig back before he finished hacking the electronics. Now there are two or three different companies making black box solutions. Pretty soon I think, we are going to start seeing LR3's with solid axles swaps :)

IMG_0384.jpg

Mack73

Adventurer
Thanks for the info nwoods.

Yes I am excited for the next couple years. If I won the lotto, I'd SAS it tomorrow.

SpencerFitch

Observer
Update: the rears work but the fronts don't! I was positive the fronts would work and was worried about the rear. I'm glad I started on the front. I guess I'll have to make my own front spacer.

Rippin'AV

Adventurer
What will you use for the body lift? I was thinking that it would be an easy way to gain another 1" of clearance for slightly bigger (33") tires. I already have rods and if the EAS ever craps out on me then I'll probably switch to coils with spacers like you. Have any pics of the spacers, coils, etc. installed?

js632

bump...im fixing to convert my05 lr3 over to coils and am very interested in the coil spacers. did you ever come up with a solution for the front?

No I have not. I'm still considering it, I could make one but I'd love to just buy one. I'm sure there has to be a strut that shares the same bolt pattern but I can't find any info online and am out of resources. I went to an auto shop and tried to get an explorer front strut to measure but they had none. I have the measurements. It honestly I have been trying to sell my 06 lr3 and go to an 03 discovery

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94