LR3 and LR4 Brake Life

Just curious what everyone is getting for average brake life before you get the brake light or failure or shaking, etc. and need a brake job!

Curious to see who is running what and what kind of life everyone is getting!

Yes, the type of use matters, don't over complicate it!

Now quit b!tching get your best guess numbers in for my science project please!

:LOL::ROFLMAO:

krick3tt

Adventurer
Complete brakes at 133,315. Is now 147,974 so front pads out at less than 15K miles. Really doesn't seem that far.

edit: Just received new OEM pads for front from AB. Also ordered new sensor from Suburban Auto Parts. Will give me something to do on the weekend, not doing the rears yet.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I was probably one of the best “worst case” scenarios. I drive to win, heavy on throttle, heavy on brake. I live in LA’s bumper to bumper traffic, and used my LR3 offroad 3 weekends out of 4. My LR3 was loaded fairly heavy and usually carried a family of 4 everywhere we went. I drove 25-30k miles a year in the LR3, on heavier than stock upsized tires.

i got 15k on pads and 30k on rotors and sensors. I used replacement parts from Atlantic British.

Last edited:

morrisdl

Adventurer
@nwoods This is definitely worse case driving....and that was on the smaller v6 brakes rotors if memory serves me. Good to see you back around here lately. Getting back in the LR ?family?

On OEM v8 brakes: I got 35-37k on pads, 65k miles on rotors. Use: typical rural mixed driving, w/32" Duratracs

nwoods

Expedition Leader
@nwoods This is definitely worse case driving....and that was on the smaller v6 brakes rotors if memory serves me. Good to see you back around here lately. Getting back in the LR ?family?
Initially with the smaller disks, but I swapped them out with the larger V8 disks because someone else wanted to run smaller wheel diameter on their LR3, so it was a win/win for both of us, and then I kept that size moving forward.

Never really left, I've been in lurk mode since 2017.

New Defender certainly has my eye. But so does the Bronco....and the Gladiator, and the Bison, and the Ram TRX. Yeah, especially the TRX. Vroom vroom!

Last edited:

douglastic

PO put new brakes front/rear at 110k miles, I don't remember brand (I bought at 116k)
Likely OEM as it was all dealer serviced. They left horrible dust and were toast at 20k use.

I put new pads/sensors on at 130k miles (Akebono Euro all 4 corners)
I love them - SO clean and quiet - and phenomenal wear.

I currently have put over 25k miles on them, and they still have plenty of life left (not even 50% worn)
I will buy these again when the time comes, along with new coated rotors (Like Zimmerman)

Driving is mostly all highway (wife's kid hauler), with 2 full-day off-road trips.

teleskier

I'm about to do my second set of brakes on my 2016 LR4 at 40k Miles. These are the most rapidly wearing brakes on a vehicle I have ever owned. Replaced at dealer around 25k. I tow some heavy car trailers and a boat trailer about 1x per month for 10-30 miles per trip - I think it chews them up. Switching to Napa rotors and pads to see if that is better.

spikemd

Explorer
I second Akebono. Best pads by far. Clean, no squeak and last way longer than OEM. I just replaced pads on the Supercharged L322 and in a year, they are toast. Couldn't find Akebonos for them. LR3 has lasted a few years.

aek50

Adventurer
Getting 40-50k consistently on OEM brakes, on the LR4. Large amount of highway but primarily in town hauling kids, going to work, with weekend trips. Running 265-65-18 BFG All terrains. Light steady pressure on the brakes anticipating what is coming up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior