LR3 and D90 Signal Peak, CA 6/15/15

spikemd

Explorer
My buddy Eric bought a D90 in the fall and had a bit of work done and part of the frame repaired this spring. We took it out for its inaugural trail run on Monday afternoon. We headed to Signal Peak, near Tahoe which is just an hour from our neighborhood. Got off at Eagle Lakes exit, loop under 80 and the staging area is the same as Fordyce. The trail starts off immediately climbing a rock garden with some decent sized boulders to navigate. Various obstacles along the way, tight squeezes and some trees to contend with on the climb. One section, has a large tree on your right and a huge boulder on the left. As I was climbing, some rocks shifted and my left rear tire dropped down, bashing in the rear sill and ripping off the rear cladding. Oops. At the last minute before the trip and having to bring 4 kids, I decided to take the LR3 instead of my range rover. I remember this section last fall and with sliders, I just bounced off. Looks like I need sliders for the LR3 before I do any more serious offroading. The D90 is a bit slimmer and didn't have much trouble scrambling over the rocks. Power gets you through most obstacles while you need to drive slower with the LR3 to let the traction control kick in, but the LR3 motored through anything we threw at it. At the 'ledge' we decided to take a steep loose bypass instead. My wife wouldn't be happy if I bashed up her truck anymore. The top of the peak rewards you with spectacular views and a quick hike to the original lookout post. We took the backside fire road down to Cisco Grove, aired up and then drove home. Great day trip.

A stock LR3 could see some damage on the trail and there are no bypasses on the first half of the trail. I have Sasquatch Rods and 32 inch tires and tapped a few bits, including that good hit on my rear sill and bumper.

There is plenty of camping around that area and would like to do a weekend trip with folks which is showing interest in another thread.

A few pics and link to video. The video is after the tough sections and just a scramble up an open area. Didn't get any shots of the tough stuff.

20150615_165444.jpg
20150615_154544.jpg
20150615_172315.jpg
20150615_162855.jpg

Last edited:

iowalr4

Adventurer
Can you not just pop that fender back on via the clips? You remove them the same way right? just pulling on them?

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
Can you not just pop that fender back on via the clips? You remove them the same way right? just pulling on them?

Yes and no on just popping them back on. Depending on how old they are those little clips get brittle and break. I personally hate them. The cheapest I have been able to find those things for is around two bucks a piece! If you have to pull off the plastic fender there is a good chance that at least one or two will break. The good news is that mine have stayed on with only half of the clips being there. I carry a few of those things in my spares kit now.

spikemd

Explorer
Once I got home, I looked at the passenger side for correct mounting. The fender piece extends along the bottom of the door and the rock ripped a nice section underneath but then it was folded under. Once I got some trim tools in there, I was able to align the trim with the door. A few clips were broken and need to get some more but it is fixed on the door again. A bit of a gap is noticed until I can get new plastic clips.

Any lead on the clip kit? I heard it was $50 at the dealer!

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
Once I got home, I looked at the passenger side for correct mounting. The fender piece extends along the bottom of the door and the rock ripped a nice section underneath but then it was folded under. Once I got some trim tools in there, I was able to align the trim with the door. A few clips were broken and need to get some more but it is fixed on the door again. A bit of a gap is noticed until I can get new plastic clips.

Any lead on the clip kit? I heard it was $50 at the dealer!

I found this site. Price is for 25.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Land_Rover_Moulding_Clip_DYC101420_p/a21657.htm

spikemd

Explorer
Thanks. Found some on EBay which are en route. Should get rid of the gap.

Had some coolant issues 2 weeks ago. Low coolant light came on and found some buildup around the thermostat housing. Apparently thermostat leaks are common around 100k miles so I replaced the housing which includes a new thermostat. Looked good, but after a week saw some more coolant leaking. The coolant reservoir tank has a very small hole which I will replace when my new tank gets here. Threw on some epoxy to hold for the next few days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94