LR3 Alternator Replacement

tdhunter13

Observer
So,

Thought I would have a nice peaceful end to an otherwise stressful week Friday. Was heading to the gym and thought, "lets get a quick car wash, get the salt off". So ran by the car wash, got through it and was wiping it down when the car just shut off. Backstory, the battery light had been flashing on and off for the past couple weeks, but it has also been in the 20's and 30's the past few weeks. So tried to get the car to start for a while, got every error possible, lights galore, the nine yards. Finally got it started and hobbled over to the gym (priorities right?), then to Oreillys, and home. Ran the test on the batteries and alternator, voltage regulator out. So, bought a remanufactured one from Oreillys this morning and got it installed. Ran me about ~$230 and was surprisingly a fairly easy install. Hoping a local shop in town can rebuild the other alternator for a reasonable price. Seems like having a backup would be a solid plan. I found the high output alt on ebay that ColoDisco and others mention in the thread, but I just didn't have the time to wait for it.

Now on to the actual questions.
1. The truck is at 64k roughly with a traxide dual battery setup and the alternator went out. Does that not seem kindly low to you all? I was hoping for 100k truth be told.
2. The idle on the truck has been pretty rough lately and even after I replaced the alt. It seems to bounce from 300-800rpm kinda like my grandpa when he is asleep and his heads start to fall and it wakes him back up. What are your guys thoughts and suggestions for the rough idle?

Thanks,
Tyler

rcharrette

Adventurer
We've got 170K miles on our 08' LR3 and original alternator (I'm screwed now!). However we are stock with no additional large accessory loads.

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
The unstable idle is because your throttle body is dirty. Clean it with some kind of throttle body cleaner. Don't use brake clean as it can damage the finish. Just spray some cleaner on a rag and wipe it until it is clean. It is okay to force the throttle body open as long as the key is off.

unseenone

Explorer
I thought my original alternator was OK at 165k, until I actually put a load on it (a battery bank that needed charging). It was serviceable but not up to the task. I ordered an aftermarket one with higher output, very very happy with the results.

Good Luck!!

Ososlo

Tyler, we have a Lr3 with twin batteries and suffered alternator failure whist touring Australia (we live in NZ)..I,d have to look it up but it would have failed around the 100k mark as well...you may be onto something with the extra work it has to do charging two batteries...we replaced it with an OE part as that was all that was available where we happened to be at the time.Aprt from that and the compressor we have had a very good run with our vehicle with us having down over 50k throughout Australia including desert travel..we are now back in New Zealand.

tdhunter13

Observer
jymmiejamz That was it, spot on. I feel slightly dumb for not even thinking about that when I have cleaned throttle bodies before. Regardless, thank you!

unseenone Yeah, I haven't taken just the alternator in by itself yet, but it might still be good other than the diode. Either way I am going to see if a local battery/electric motor shop in town will rebuild it for me. If they won't/can't I am going to purchase that high output one in the next 15k, swap it in, and keep the remanufactured as spare.

Ososlo Interesting, sounds like there may be a trend then. Thankfully my compressor was replaced before I bought it. Other than that it has been very reliable as well.

I should know more about the alternator failure come Friday when I run by the motor shop.

unseenone

Explorer
great tdhunter13. I liked the alternator so much, I ordered a spare, gave my old spare to a friend. I think it is better to order the one I got, because they also change the pulley with a new one, which is a slightly different size. No belt change necessary.

tdhunter13

Observer
great tdhunter13. I liked the alternator so much, I ordered a spare, gave my old spare to a friend. I think it is better to order the one I got, because they also change the pulley with a new one, which is a slightly different size. No belt change necessary.

Hey unseenone, do you happen to have any contact info for the "Powermax USA" alternator you guys got off ebay? I got a quote from Quality Power HERE to rebuild my existing one and upgrade it to 250amp for $295. So I was going to see if I could get a hold of Powermax and see if they could do it cheaper. Else I'll just buy a new one of them off ebay.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
I need some help here: So my alternator on my 2006 LR3 went out over the weekend and I'm looking at alternatives. Autozone has a cheapy reman for $188 that I could have in hand today, and ebay has a high amp (250amp) for $224 here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-High-AM...ash=item3adcbe20a8:g:MNAAAOSwA3dYD5dL&vxp=mtr

What would you guys recommend? I have a dual battery set up and a 12K winch wired to the main battery, and an ARB fridge/freezer I run occasionally off the Aux battery. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

POST EDITED.

Here you go! Unseenone sent me this PM a while back when I was dealing with alternator issues. I have not ordered mine yet because I couldn't wait and had to buy one off the shelf at NAPA. I will be buying this one to upgrade and the NAPA will go in the spares.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252290104191...:MEBIDX:IT

Use the factory belt. See above.

Hope this helps,

E

Last edited:

unseenone

Explorer
Correction-- and please edit the post--- DO NOT USE THE BELT -- It is too short, it will self destruct... Use the factory belt and it will be fine. I am still loving this alternator--- get it...

unseenone

Explorer
Hey unseenone, do you happen to have any contact info for the "Powermax USA" alternator you guys got off ebay? I got a quote from Quality Power HERE to rebuild my existing one and upgrade it to 250amp for $295. So I was going to see if I could get a hold of Powermax and see if they could do it cheaper. Else I'll just buy a new one of them off ebay.

Just order it off the ebay, they'll ship it to you--- Top notch... Skip the belt suggestions, fit a new factory stock belt.

unseenone

Explorer
Anytime--- after fitted the 1" smaller belt, per recommendation, it disintegrated shortly afterward. It was too tight. Ended up renting a tool at Expo East and getting a buddy to fetch it, and a new belt. Changed it in the dark with the help of some other expo goers. It's been fine ever since.

It was a bear to get the belt shards out..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles