LR3 Air to Coil conversion.....one year later.

NAS_D90

Concerning the coil conversion with +2”, what is the length from the center on the wheel caps to the bottom of the wheel arches? I want to know how much it differs from the standard wheel height with EAS.

Cheers...

MrWesson

Adventurer
I understand being worn down by LR3 repairs(I've only had little ones but still) but I love the air suspension..

Hope I never have to do this.

Ray_G

Explorer
Concerning the coil conversion with +2”, what is the length from the center on the wheel caps to the bottom of the wheel arches? I want to know how much it differs from the standard wheel height with EAS.

Cheers...

The long and short of that is it depends. Depends on how laden the truck is particularly, if you put the spacers in, etc. But at the end of it all, it basically is the standard off road (not extended) height when you swap on +2 coils.
More info here: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...891&highlight=coil+conversion+EAS#post2177891

NAS_D90

Thanks, I just want to get an idea of what to expect. Looking for the actual height difference when not loaded compared to stock ride height with EAS. I want to be able to get it in my garage...

sdjp

Hi everyone, experienced off-roader here with another brand. Completely new to LR, except for the 72’ series III I had briefly in high school almost 30 years ago.

just bought an 08’ LR3 HSE that already had the AB coil conversion done (air suspension failed the second time and previous owner had enough). It was a little old lady and the reputable Land Rover shop put in what seems like a lower than stock height coil/ strut. It’s low, see pic.
QUESTION- to increase ride height can I just replace the coils with bigger coils on the strut or will I need to buy different sized struts too? Don’t want to re-buy something if I don’t have to. Going to do the 2” OME or 3” Lucky 8.

Attachments

• 6FCE84A1-E3F7-4CEE-9B36-4C1D65BD343A.jpeg
    6FCE84A1-E3F7-4CEE-9B36-4C1D65BD343A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 51

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Dont know if your struts are still OEM, but if so, yes, replacing the coils with stiffer and/or taller coils will lift the rig. I ran 40mm taller springs for a while, with near OEM ride quality. I then switched to 65mm taller springs that proved a near ideal amount of lift, but it rode like an empty dump truck. Bouncy! But i kinda liked it. What i did not like was the significantly reduced articulation.

Cookie4x4

Hi All, old thread i know but i am not convinced with the coil conversion yet and wondered if any one could possibly give me further information
Would anyone still recommend it now when prices are cheaper for the air components?
I have a 2008 LR3 and have had sensor problems, compressor faults and shock failures, i just purchased and installed all new shocks, new sensors, new air compressor, new air receiver and the bump stop extension kit from lucky 8 and i am still having calibration and suspension faults, i have had enough and was considering just putting lifted coils in and be done.
does any one have any experience towing with the coils and is it ok?
Is it comfortable with the coils?
Do you loose any functions?
and are there any annoying error lights on the dash after the conversion?

Any help will be appreciated right now
Thanks

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I have a 2006 with the Coil Conversion and a 2008 with Air spring. I can hardly notes a difference in Ride quality. The big question is do you want it lifted or not. I put the lift coils on my wife's 06 and regret it now, but only just because she wishes it was lower now.

Ray_G

Explorer
Hi All, old thread i know but i am not convinced with the coil conversion yet and wondered if any one could possibly give me further information
Would anyone still recommend it now when prices are cheaper for the air components?
I have a 2008 LR3 and have had sensor problems, compressor faults and shock failures, i just purchased and installed all new shocks, new sensors, new air compressor, new air receiver and the bump stop extension kit from lucky 8 and i am still having calibration and suspension faults, i have had enough and was considering just putting lifted coils in and be done.

Thanks

Prob worth wandering through my build thread.

Your questions are interesting; you sunk a ton of money into new EAS components-and are finding that troublesome, but ask if it's worth it because EAS components are cheap? Seems you have answered that question with your experience.

Yes, I've towed with coils-a fair amount-it is totally fine. Hardly any real difference from towing with EAS, even if the load is significant and you have a little sag in the back because of it-that has no real bearing on how it performs.

Yes it is comfortable, as noted in this thread, my thread, and many (most?) folks who have done it.

You loose the functions of the EAS. So no going up/down. Also no riding on the bumpstops when it fails, which is one of the functions of EAS too.

There can be a red suspension light in the bottom left corner of the dash if you don't hardwire the black box in and just use it as a ECU flash. Annoying is subjective, I've had mine on since 2015 and view it as a reminder that I don't have to worry about riding on the bumpstops.
r-
Ray

Glapin

2x what @Ray_G said. I have an 06 on the +2 OME HD coils. I have made multiple cross country trips hitting some pretty zesty trails and passes with a family of 4 and our pooch. To say the vehicle had some weight in it is an understatement. I also regularly tow my 24ft. fishing boat which isn't a slouch either. The LR with coils does great. I bought the vehicle for a steal, didn't want to put a ton of money into it and just didn't want to have to worry about reliability and something else failing on the trail, especially when I out with the wife and two kids. I haven't looked back.

GORM

Adventurer

Thanks

GORM

Adventurer
I bought the AB +2” HD kit. Was great, took me maybe 12-14 hours to install in my garage with no help. If I did it again it would be alot less.

I have the red error light, but who cares? I wasn’t willing to cut into the wires under the dash and add harness just to get rid of all codes. That error code is a badge of honor putting almost all my other issues behind me. I also have to ignore the TPMS light from either my tires, bad sensors or bc I can’t inflate the spare and still fit it under the truck.

Hey, it’s a Land Rover ... no errors on the dash means something’s wrong.

TheNextEpisode

For what it's worth, I've got about 23,000 miles over two years on my AB +2" non-HD kit. I'm carrying no extra weight, and I tow between 500-1500lbs three times a year with proper tongue weighting. Three of the shocks are blown, and the lower shock body bushings on all four coilovers are shot. I also only got about a 3/4" lift out of the coilover kit.

I am glad to not have airbags, but if you're looking to coilovers with hopes of never having suspension issues again, you might be disappointed with AB's kit. At least with the coilovers, your issues will be more predictable; blown bushings and shocks don't leave you stranded on the trail. But, AB coilovers' lack of reliabilty is pretty depressing. A fully restored EAS might actually last longer than AB's coilovers, assuming you can convince the voices in your head that suggest that EAS failures are just around the corner.

2006 LR3 - Rear Right Shock Damaged Bushing Close Up.JPG

Last edited:

garrycol

Well my car is 13 years old and has covered 190,000km with no unexpected EAS issues. I have replaced the desiccant in my original Hitachi and replaced the plastic cap with a metal one - these actions in my views should be included as service items. My lack of EAS issues is consistent with others I know where EAS problem are the exception not the norm.

perkj

Explorer
Well my car is 13 years old and has covered 190,000km with no unexpected EAS issues. I have replaced the desiccant in my original Hitachi and replaced the plastic cap with a metal one - these actions in my views should be included as service items. My lack of EAS issues is consistent with others I know where EAS problem are the exception not the norm.

@garrycol what is this plastic to metal cap you speak of?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94