LR3 Air to Coil conversion.....one year later.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
RoverRandom, what are the part numbers for the OME springs?

Kevin, the guy with the factory coiler bought from Nathan Woods pictured above was sourcing springs from Australia because no one in the states had a kit last year. It definitley sat too low with the factory springs especially loaded for the trail.

If I got an LR3, I would convert to coils but your lift is limited by control arms and axles. Sorry, IFS guys...

This is a curious comment. I gave Kevin three sets of springs. The OEM factory springs (soft), +40mm lifted springs from Peddars in Australia that were soft, but not OEM soft, and then rock hard +65mm springs from King Springs also of Australia. It had the KingSprings installed when I sold it to him.

As others have commented, this factory springer had all the various traction control systems (DSC, SRS,TC, etc...), but did not have the Terrain Control to integrate them. You had to use a bit of intelligent right footwork :)

IMG_3250-XL.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Here are some photos of the OEM springs with the Land Rover part number labels on them:

suspension-02.jpg
suspension-03.jpg
suspension-05.jpg

Attachments

• suspension-01.jpg
    suspension-01.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 40
  • suspension-04.jpg
    suspension-04.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
My 3 also was rough riding, especially when in the lifted settings. Some of that you could contribute to worn struts but also part of the blame go's to the airbags attaining lift by raising the air pressure in the airspring bladder.
This is a very common misconception regarding air suspension systems. When you lift the vehicle you are not raising the pressure in the air springs. All you are doing is increasing the volume of air.

Real quick: vehicle weight x will require a certain pressure to hold the vehicle up. When you've lifted the vehicle (as in from std height to off-road) the vehicle weight x has not changed - so still only the same pressure is required to hold the vehicle up. The compressor/reservoir have a higher pressure than the air springs so that additional air can be 'pressed' into the springs when necessary. But once that additional volume of air has been inserted the pressure is the same as before.

Blueboy

Adventurer
you may also want to check Boyle's Law for the relationship between Pressure and Volume within a closed system

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
This is a very common misconception regarding air suspension systems. When you lift the vehicle you are not raising the pressure in the air springs. All you are doing is increasing the volume of air.

Real quick: vehicle weight x will require a certain pressure to hold the vehicle up. When you've lifted the vehicle (as in from std height to off-road) the vehicle weight x has not changed - so still only the same pressure is required to hold the vehicle up. The compressor/reservoir have a higher pressure than the air springs so that additional air can be 'pressed' into the springs when necessary. But once that additional volume of air has been inserted the pressure is the same as before.

Maybe, but you have also just lost down travel.

roverandom

Adventurer
Yes, that is a much more accurate explanation of the air bag operation. Thank you. I wrote that quickly on my phone and really should have thought about that statement more before I started typing.

The EAS did, however, "feel" rough in the raised position. Even before I had high mileage on the vehicle.

spikemd

Explorer
I will have to ask Kevin about his springs. Good to know OME has springs giving more options for LR3 owners.

One benefit of air is that the ride height will be the same regardless of how much you load it. Expect a half to full inch drop on springs when loaded for a week on the trail. My P38 sits high in the back unloaded but levels out with gear. It can be tricky balancing height and load rating when choosing springs as it depends on the drivers compromises and weight/armor/winch etc. It took me three sets of springs before I found the setup that worked for me.

roverandom

Adventurer
I had four adults, three kids, too much gear loaded on the roof rack and an ARB winch bumper and winch for a long road trip and my 3 didn't sink much at all. I was quite surprised.

The EAS self levelling feature would be much better than coils if you used your 3 for heavy towing.

roverandom

Adventurer
Here are a few recent pictures of my 3 as it sits now.
enuvuhy2.jpg
3egyseqy.jpg
ymuqynyq.jpg
be6uruba.jpg
uhu4a4e9.jpg
vu4y7y8e.jpg

Tyres are 265/60R18 Toyo Open Country all terrain. Wheels are aftermarket. Touren.

P.S. Yes, the truck is usually this dirty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NAS_D90

Here are a few recent pictures of my 3 as it sits now.
enuvuhy2.jpg
3egyseqy.jpg
ymuqynyq.jpg
be6uruba.jpg
uhu4a4e9.jpg
vu4y7y8e.jpg

Tyres are 265/60R18 Toyo Open Country all terrain. Wheels are aftermarket. Touren.

P.S. Yes, the truck is usually this dirty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roverandom,

Please check your pm.

Cheers...

SGStriglos

Great Read, My wife drives an 06 LR3 with 140k on the clock and I have been debating what I will do with this system when it eventually fails. My intention has always been to make this my next trail rig if I get to a point of no return with the Classic. I just got done with the new front bushings/lower arms and a fresh rear diff. I know this will be my next issue. Glad you guys are blazing the trail first.

Roverholic

Observer
Thank you for taking the time to post this. Having experienced long bump stop rides in both the classic and p38 I have no desire to repeat it in the lr. We're in Big Bear right now and the system freaked out on me today. Fortunately after I restarted the truck everything went back to normal but there was Oh S$** moment. Coils in the near future for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles