Lr3 Air Strut leaking?

etont

Hi Guys,

I've been troubleshooting an air leak in the front of my 2005 LR3 for a few weeks now. After putting the car in off-road mode and pulling fuses I found the front end was sagging just about an inch over night. I replaced the front valve/solenoid and now have an auditable air leak only in off-road mode from the front right strut but only when it is compressed (ie, I apply brakes, speed bumps, etc). It sounds like its coming from the top of the strut around where the airline connects but I cannot verify since I am only 1 person.

When the car is sitting still and in off-road height it doesn't seem to be leaking at all (I've tried to locate it with soapy water, etc).

Anyone have any good ideas? Or... can the fitting on the top of the strut be replaced? Is it a VOSS compression fitting like the ones that are on the valve block? THANKS!

catmann

When one of my air bags leaked it was very random, some days one corner dropped and other days it did not. Sometimes I would here a light hiss sound and then I would not. The indy shop said that often times the crack is invisible until the pressure angle is just right, meaning the LR needs to be leaning in just the right way to trigger the leak. Soap and water won't show it until the angle is right. So if all else checks out, it's probably the air bag with a micro-fissure in it somewhere.

etont

When one of my air bags leaked it was very random, some days one corner dropped and other days it did not. Sometimes I would here a light hiss sound and then I would not. The indy shop said that often times the crack is invisible until the pressure angle is just right, meaning the LR needs to be leaning in just the right way to trigger the leak. Soap and water won't show it until the angle is right. So if all else checks out, it's probably the air bag with a micro-fissure in it somewhere.

Thanks, that makes sense.

protohyp

Adventurer
If the bags are the original replace with arnott. Do not throw the old struts away but instead keep the bags as if this pops up again an extra bag that is fairly easy to replace on a leaking one as yours will keep you on the road.

Arnotts have a check valve so it’s hard to end up on the bump stops if lines break or compressor goes down. Most other struts are wide open so if a line breaks the struts lose all its air. Also the front arnotts are made with continental bags so they are very high quality

Also the LR self levels over night so some sag or drop will happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krick3tt

Adventurer
I hav not ever noticed a drop or a self level on my 2007 LR. I drop to access height before putting it in the garage so not to scrape as I have a Front Runner RR and don't want to take a chance on a scrape or a jam. I also put the lock on in access height to avoid any rise over night.
Had a friend with a leak in his strut bag from rust eroding the rubber. Replaced all 4 of them, just because if one is going bad others are the same age and might cause a difficult situation on the train from a failure. Thanks to his experience I now what fuses to pull to keep it in a road capable situation rather than drive on the bump stops.

etont

Thanks all,

I think I am just going to replace the front two and save my 1 good one and see what happens.

Seems everyone likes the Arnott struts... but does anyone have any experience with the Lucky8 struts? Way less expensive then the Arnott. Lucky8 says they are Dunlop. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles