LR 3 help/ "rumble" noise on deceleration

rcharrette

Adventurer
Hi all, I have an 08' LR3 with 145,000 miles on it. Recently it has developed a rumbling noise but only when I let off the accelerator. As soon as I step on the gas again it goes away. I can feel it very slightly in the floor as well. It almost seems like tire noise but I'm sure it's not. Could it be the front drive shaft? Maybe a pinion bearing. Looking for help on this.
Thanks, Randy

rcharrette

Adventurer
Thanks, I'm suspecting front drive shaft as well. I crawled under the other day and it looks like the LR3 does not have U-Joints in the drive shaft? Anyway, I'm hoping that the clue of "rumbling only on deceleration" may ring a bell with someone.

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
Lr 3 driveshaft is built around CV joints on both ends. I had one apart and by design , it should not produce deep rumbling noise whatsoever something like high pitch noise and vibration, maybe, but not what you describe.What does produce deep noises like that, on de acceleration, is usually associated with a pinion inside front differential, or bearing ,also inside DIFF. , that half shaft sits on .,so front differential would be my suspect.

rcharrette

Adventurer
I took it by the shop that put tires on it (about 4 months ago) yesterday. It's a Standard Tire and auto and I know the owner. Anyway, I never suspected the tires could be the problem as I'm on my 2nd set of these and it's never made noise. However he said it is a possibility and suggested we start with a tire rotation to see if anything changes. I plan to drop it off with him next week to get this sorted out.
Then on the drive home I started thinking that I've put over 6K miles on this truck with this noise and it has never gotten worse, just stayed the same. If it was a bearing (pinion) I'd think it would have gotten louder, etc? Still not counting on it as it's never a cheap and easy fix with these things :)

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Could be a loose heat shield, or maybe the heat shield around the spare tire is rubbing the exhaust? Under load the exhaust shifts a bit, lift off the throttle, everything moves again....

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
In my experience this is a classic sign of differential bearing failure. Very common on these vehicles. Start with the rear diff - drain the fluid. I'd bet it looks pretty bad.

To diag in a shop, put the vehicle on a two post lift in drive and check various drivetrain components with a stethoscope.

I have seen front and rear diffs, and transfer cases, all fail on these and produce the noise you are describing.

jmartin20

I know this is way old, but did the original post ever find a solution or a diagnosis? I am having the exact same issue on my 08 LR3...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles