Lowrance 540C

jerdog53

Explorer
So I got it finally and got it installed in such a manor as to be removable when I have the hard top off my LJ. Antenna is routed through the dash to the roll bar padding to the top of the speaker pod and is removable at the cannon plug. Power cable plugged into the power outlet in the dash quickly tucked back up once removed.

540C002.jpg

I like it a lot and it is not so large as to distract my road view.

540C003.jpg

I did get the upgraded software after a few weeks of returning to my house "off the beaten path" acording to the GPS with the new software it shows all the secondary streets and FS roads. Its cool!

:wings:

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Cool!

You can get topo level detail for NM, CO, WY, MT, ID, UT, AZ, CA, NV, OR, and WA on a single 2G SD card and still have 250K left for user data! We'll be using a 3500C on our upcoming 8 state trip.

jerdog53

Explorer
Nullifier said:
what did Lowrance upgrade over the older 480c that I have?

I believe the only thing that changed was the interface with a PC other than that it is the same unit.

How long have you had yours and whats your impression?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Looks good! What does it come with for a antenna receiver cable? Is it long or did you have to lengthen it?

Also, do you know if the new 540 is Mac computer capatible?

Im going to order this GPS very soon here. Just need to find a way to mount the monster in the 80.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I got it last summer and so far I have really liked. It is easy to read the screen while in motion. which was my #1 objective. THe map system is easy to use as well.

Iplan on buying a new hand hend lowrance explorer to use with it when I leave the rig for hiking etc.

P7220170.jpg

jerdog53

Explorer
SOCALFJ said:
Looks good! What does it come with for a antenna receiver cable? Is it long or did you have to lengthen it?

Also, do you know if the new 540 is Mac computer capatible?

Im going to order this GPS very soon here. Just need to find a way to mount the monster in the 80.

Antenna is hockey puck in size and shape it comes with a extension cable so you can mount it a good distance away maybe 20'. The antenna itself has a pig tail about a foot long if that’s any help, I ran mine through the dash and up the A pillar to the roll bar and back to the passenger speaker box and it works great even through the hard top.

I don't know if its MAC compatible or not I would assume so.

jerdog53

Explorer
Nullifier said:
I got it last summer and so far I have really liked. It is easy to read the screen while in motion. which was my #1 objective. THe map system is easy to use as well.

Iplan on buying a new hand hend lowrance explorer to use with it when I leave the rig for hiking etc.

P7220170.jpg

I see you have the same CB I do! :friday:

cell4soul

Adventurer
crawler#976 said:
Cool!

You can get topo level detail for NM, CO, WY, MT, ID, UT, AZ, CA, NV, OR, and WA on a single 2G SD card and still have 250K left for user data! We'll be using a 3500C on our upcoming 8 state trip.

I just installed the 540C, but haven't downloaded software yet. I'm looking to get software soon. Is the software you are referring what is available in the Lowrance websight? Does anyone know if the National Geographic Software is compatible and has anyone tried it? Thanks for any info in advance.

PCRover

Adventurer
Can someone tell me the difference between the 540C and the 5200C units? Is it just the ruggedization off the 540C or is there operational differences?

jerdog53 said:
So I got it finally and got it installed in such a manor as to be removable when I have the hard top off my LJ. Antenna is routed through the dash to the roll bar padding to the top of the speaker pod and is removable at the cannon plug. Power cable plugged into the power outlet in the dash quickly tucked back up once removed.

540C002.jpg

I have a couple of questions on this GPS....I am looking to mount it up high on my sportcage crossbar using this mount.....

MODULARGPSMOUNT1.JPG

First...is it possible to reverse how the GPS sits in its cradle, ie so it will not hang upside down when used with the rollbar clamp and secondly, how long are the antenna and power leads? If I decide on that location, it will be located up high and I'll need a fair amount of length to run it across the top bar, along the downbar and then under the dash. Thanx.

jerdog53

Explorer
robert j. yates said:
First...is it possible to reverse how the GPS sits in its cradle, ie so it will not hang upside down when used with the rollbar clamp

Yes, I would fab a new U bracket to replace the stock U bracket to get it as close to the roll bar and bracket as possible.

robert j. yates said:
and secondly, how long are the antenna and power leads? If I decide on that location, it will be located up high and I'll need a fair amount of length to run it across the top bar, along the downbar and then under the dash. Thanx.

I would have to pull them out of the dash to get an accurate measurement but I would say roughly 6 to 8 feet in length. 6 foot for the power and around 8 foot for the antenna, you should have plenty for what you want to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz