Lowrance 540C GPS - Review & Mount

uphill

Observer
I love my Lowrance 540C.

IMG_21581.JPG

I mounted it where the rear view mirror used to be on my 07 FJ Cruiser. You can't see out of the rear very well anyway and it proved to be a perfect place for me to have my GPS. It's super convenient.

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

I mounted the antenna on the OEM rack. (my HID lights are mounted on an N-Fab bar).

The actual bracket that the 540C is mounted to was made by SHADOW-WARRIOR, who is a member of this Forum.

After about 9 months of constant use, it's one of my favorite and best loved modifications - and a MUST for expedition driving since it is a true topographic GPS.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
We have the same unit and love it too. Can you post more pics of how you mounted it up near the rearview mirror?

mattmainster

Observer
Haven't seen the close up shots Larry, thanks. I'm using the Magellan crossover right now, but see this as an upgrade in the future.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I just checked our 80 series, which has a taller window than your FJCruiser. I don't know how that doesn't block your view. It would bug the heck out of me. It's way too big up there.

Neat how you did it though, but won't work for me. I'll stick to my Ram-mount.

uphill

Observer
SOCALFJ said:
I just checked our 80 series, which has a taller window than your FJCruiser. I don't know how that doesn't block your view. It would bug the heck out of me. It's way too big up there.

Neat how you did it though, but won't work for me. I'll stick to my Ram-mount.

If you're ever on a run with me, check it out from the driver's seat. It doesn't obscure the trail and it gives you a sideways glance at where you are and where you're going.

I know, it looks awkward but it's not. Once you have it there, it's addictive.

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer
That really is a great looking install. I ran one of those type antennas for years on the hood of my FJ40.

What about the rear view mirror and state inspections???

Shadow-Warrior

Observer
Yep, I'm loving mine too. I find it not in the way and allows you to watch the GPS with out taking your eyes off the road. I also don't miss the rearview mirror either. :) I'm glad your still liking the mount Larry. :26_7_2:

Mounted-3.jpg

Last edited:

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
does this lowrance model have a video input available, for example to display video from a rear view camera??

thx

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer
spressomon said:
Nice! I assume you drilled through the roof and ran the puck wires under the headliner?

Looks like he did drill through the roof. See to the right of the mount the GPS puck is sitting on top of?

What did he do for a bulkhead connector is my question....

spressomon

Expedition Leader
LC/LR4Life said:
Looks like he did drill through the roof. See to the right of the mount the GPS puck is sitting on top of?

What did he do for a bulkhead connector is my question....

I did see the cable going through the roof...hopefully he'll expound on that part of the install. I really like my 540C...still getting to know it...but it's the best GPS I've found for off-roading.

davegonz

Explorer
Very cool mount. Any chance that the gps has video in? Would be cool if it could let you run a rear view camera.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles