Lowering my new rig for offroad travel

jh504

Explorer
I picked up a new to me Toyota last night. It is a '95 Pickup that I plan on using with a Four Wheel Camper. The truck has been maintained pretty well and it has been built right. Unfortunately it just wasnt built for my specific needs. It has a 6" suspension lift and a 3" body lift with 35x12.50's. It actually handles very well for what it is but with the 4.56 gears 4th and 5th really aren't worth too much on the hills.
My first order of business is removing the body lift and downsizing the tires. Here are a couple pics of how it sits now.

truck2-1.jpg

truck1-1.jpg

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Nice truck! Great color...pewter pearl.

I would be lowering it too. Whenever I'm on the trail with the camper on, the side-to-side tippiness is what holds me back the most. It'd be great to get that COG a few inches closer to the ground.

Some 33x9.50 on 15x6 Toyota wheels would be cool on there. Or some 235/85R16 on some narrow 16" rims. They would mesh pretty well with your 4.56 gears.

Enjoy!

jh504

Explorer
Yeah I like to keep it as close to the ground as possible and still have decent clearance. I like the skinnier tires but 9.50s might be a little too skinny for my taste. I usually try and stay around the 10.50 mark. I am looking for someone local who may want to trade their smaller tires up to some 35s.
I have two winches here that I plan on incorporating into it and at some point a locker and sliders would be nice.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
What about removing the body lift, adding cut out flares and keeping the 35s? The width of the 35s will help it feel stable, especially with a high mounted load like a camper back.

JAT

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
WEll from the sounds/looks of things that thing was NOT built to be off-roaded at all.... Are those Semi-Tires on it or just some street tires??? BUT to you that's a GREAT find cause chances are it never got anywhere near a trail or at least not too far down said trail ;) Meaning you've got your self a NICE, CLEAN looking truck there. No matter what motor is in it it's feel underpowered (The V6 may FEEL more powerful but out on the road they're stil slow as my 22RE and nowhere near as well engineered a motor...ADD to that the milage hit you get for a motor that's suposed be more powerfull - but isn't - and You may want to look into a Motor/Trans swap ig you plan on running a camper on the back of that old beauty.

PS if you ever get a chance, look at the frame on these trucks then compare it to the newer gen Taco...You'll be SO STOKED you got one of these old "world grade" Hillux's for just the frame and chasis strength alone. They may be slow but the tortise wins the race, or so the fable goes ;)

Anyway, great find mate. can't wait to see her "like you want her" eh. Oh and yeah a 3" BL is well, just such a bad idea and usualy for the mall-crawl crowd IMO. so Axe it asap...

Cheers

Dave

I run a 3 inch body lift, 2.5" OME suspension lift and 315/70/17 big 35s. I can say it wheels well no issues. I think you will find removing the body lift a PITA! If you have the origanal parts prior to the removal you will be miles ahead. I think if you load up about 1000 lbs and go wheeling as it is it will give you an idea of how it will handle prior to removing the body lift and approximate camper/gear weight. I found that the big tires roll well over rocks, creeks, and ledges. Are you realy going to take your $15,000 4 wheel camper down a 4+ trail? Just my .05

jh504

Explorer
What about removing the body lift, adding cut out flares and keeping the 35s? The width of the 35s will help it feel stable, especially with a high mounted load like a camper back.

I definitely have thought about that option, especially after watching that Hilux in the old Top Gear polar expedition this week. I would definitely have to regear if I did that. It may be an option but I think it will perform better with a little smaller tires, and like 4rescue said these tires are 35x12.50 street tires, so they would have to be changed out for something more aggressive.

WEll from the sounds/looks of things that thing was NOT built to be off-roaded at all.... Are those Semi-Tires on it or just some street tires??? BUT to you that's a GREAT find cause chances are it never got anywhere near a trail or at least not too far down said trail ;) Meaning you've got your self a NICE, CLEAN looking truck there. No matter what motor is in it it's feel underpowered (The V6 may FEEL more powerful but out on the road they're stil slow as my 22RE and nowhere near as well engineered a motor...ADD to that the milage hit you get for a motor that's suposed be more powerfull - but isn't - and You may want to look into a Motor/Trans swap ig you plan on running a camper on the back of that old beauty.

PS if you ever get a chance, look at the frame on these trucks then compare it to the newer gen Taco...You'll be SO STOKED you got one of these old "world grade" Hillux's for just the frame and chasis strength alone. They may be slow but the tortise wins the race, or so the fable goes ;)

Anyway, great find mate. can't wait to see her "like you want her" eh. Oh and yeah a 3" BL is well, just such a bad idea and usualy for the mall-crawl crowd IMO. so Axe it asap...

Cheers

Dave

It was definitely built for show. I was surprised it didnt still have the stock 4.10s in it to be honest with you. It has the 3.0 in it and it is very underpowered. I am already planning out a 3.4 swap in the future.
These trucks are definitely solid. This will be the 3rd one I have owned and the build quality is excellent on these old trucks. I have owned 2 Tacoma's as well and while I think the Tacoma has better engineering, I think the older Pickups have a better build quality and are stronger.

I run a 3 inch body lift, 2.5" OME suspension lift and 315/70/17 big 35s. I can say it wheels well no issues. I think you will find removing the body lift a PITA! If you have the origanal parts prior to the removal you will be miles ahead. I think if you load up about 1000 lbs and go wheeling as it is it will give you an idea of how it will handle prior to removing the body lift and approximate camper/gear weight. I found that the big tires roll well over rocks, creeks, and ledges. Are you realy going to take your $15,000 4 wheel camper down a 4+ trail? Just my .05

I'm the BL will be a pain, but it has to come off because this truck is just too high. What gears and engine are you running in your Taco?
I dont plan on buying a new FWC, I have been looking at the older models, I wont be as afraid to mess it up if it doesnt cost me an arm and a leg

I'm the BL will be a pain, but it has to come off because this truck is just too high. What gears and engine are you running in your Taco?
I dont plan on buying a new FWC, I have been looking at the older models, I wont be as afraid to mess it up if it doesnt cost me an arm and a leg[/QUOTE]

Stock 3.4, 4.10 gears and a manual trany. At high altitudes I could use a regear and if I was going to keep this truck for a longer period of time I would install 4.56 or 4.88.

jh504

Explorer
^^ Thanks, I hope it turns out to be a good one.

I dont plan on buying a new FWC, I have been looking at the older models, I wont be as afraid to mess it up if it doesnt cost me an arm and a leg

Stock 3.4, 4.10 gears and a manual trany. At high altitudes I could use a regear and if I was going to keep this truck for a longer period of time I would install 4.56 or 4.88.

If I kept the 35's I would have to go to 5.29s for sure. Especially with the extra weight of a camper. 5th gear will not pull up any kind of incline, and 4th gear will only pull on slight inclines. Any large hills and I have to drop down to 3rd.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
JH: for some reason mate I didn't see that it was your OP.... Sorry man, I know you know what you're doing. I thought it was someone else who was new here HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Anyway, great find mate. Can't wait to see what you do with'r.

CHeers

DAve

jh504

Explorer
JH: for some reason mate I didn't see that it was your OP.... Sorry man, I know you know what you're doing. I thought it was someone else who was new here HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Anyway, great find mate. Can't wait to see what you do with'r.

CHeers

DAve

No worries man, your observations were all spot on about the truck. It needs a "dressing down" to make it right, but when I'm done hopefully it will be a nice camper rig.

I know your just glad to see I'm not in another XJ:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles