Lower control arm

Eric K

Observer
OK, they need replacing. I have decided to tackle this problem on my own, doesn't look that bad(I should post how bad it was after I am done). A quick internet search gets me control arms that cost anywhere from 100 bucks to 400 bucks. That's a big price swing. Any recommendations on a good brand/website to purchase?

jhawk

Adventurer
I'm assuming LR3, correct? If so, I just did my lower arms last weekend. I went with arms from Autozone, roughly $380 for the pair. Comparing them to the LR arms I saw no discernible difference.

Jim

zelatore

Explorer
My only note would be that the newest version from LR is supposed to have slightly better bushings to help get a bit more life out of them than the usual 60-70K, plus (maybe) a little firmer drive on the highway.

I don't know if the aftermarket would be a match for the new spec or the original.

A.J.M

Explorer
If it's an LR3 then you can upgrade to the RRS lower arms.
They have a larger ball joint and better bushes.

The ride is a touch firmer but it's a good mod.

From experience, I would fit genuine parts but you can always haggle over the price, I always haggle with the parts guys and can get 20% off if I try.

You may want to change the arb bushes while you are at it.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic86153.html

Here's a link to a step by step guide on how to change them.

I'm doing my arms again on Saturday with some mates. I'm going the RRS route this time.

Eric K

Observer
I'm assuming LR3, correct? If so, I just did my lower arms last weekend. I went with arms from Autozone, roughly $380 for the pair. Comparing them to the LR arms I saw no discernible difference.

Jim

Whoops, sorry! Yes it's an LR3.

unseenone

Explorer
They are very well regarded in the Land Rover space. They're a sponsor on the boards here. I didn't know they have to kit with polybushes installed already though, I know they did the polybushes. The Red ones where badly reviewed, I don't know how the Orange ones are... It would be nice to see a short and long term review.

cannonball55

Adventurer
Get ahold of Lucky8, I think they sell the LCA kit with polybushes already installed?
https://youtu.be/ExhRWEvhb8A

They do sell an LCA with poly Kit, but the poly bushings were not installed. I just ordered and installed these 2 weeks ago. PM me if you'd like a bit of a personal review of this most recent order.

They are very well regarded in the Land Rover space. They're a sponsor on the boards here. I didn't know they have to kit with polybushes installed already though, I know they did the polybushes. The Red ones where badly reviewed, I don't know how the Orange ones are... It would be nice to see a short and long term review.

Short term review is they're great, no squeaks and, compared to the super terrible ride the busted bushings had, its a much better ride!

roverandom

Adventurer
I fitted the Polly bushing to the rear of my 06. The fronts need doing as well but the wife wanted her car back, it's a ***** of a job to get old bushings out so I got board and I kinda wanted to evaluate the front and rear separately anyway.

I used the orange 'Dynamic' bushings with red sway bar bushings with new factory links. So far I like them. Comfort and noise from the rear is like a new LR3.

As soon as I can summon up the enthusiasm to tackle the fronts I will report back.

FYI, I know the parts guy at a high volume independent Land Rover specialty garage quite well and when I asked him about using RRS lower control arms he told me that they change just as many LCA on RRS's, and at similar intervals as they do on LR3's so if there is any durability benefit they haven't seen any proof of such?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94