Low Profile RTT mount on an LR3???

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
What options are there out there for low profile mounting for a RTT right onto the LR3 roof rails. The Land Rover roof rails are to high, I would want to find a way to have the Tent no more that 2 inches off the glass roof. I would be ditching the Roof Rack of course, as it is now if I put the RTT on the truck it is to tall for daily use.
027D5600-5D69-4AC4-AE90-0870D2392B19.jpeg

gabrielef

Depending on the tent size, Baja Designs has a rack where there is 50” x 50” or so of platform space fore and aft for a RTT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Haha probably ? I need to stop listening to the Overland Journal podcast. Hey have me thinking hard about stripping stuff off.

gatorgrizz27

If you can handle it being 3” high from the center of the glass to the top of the bar, I’m extremely happy with my Front Runner load bars. They are for an H3 as they were the cheapest available, and only required adding fender washers to fit right in the factory short roof rails. I added the wind deflector since there was a whistling noise without it.

69751F27-A7C8-403D-BB71-BB927628EEE9.jpeg

Coincidentally, these bars end up being the exact dimensions of the Front Runner RTT, it’s 49” wide and 53” long. These rails have tracks that can hold a captive nut, so my plan is to just drill holes in the floor pan of the RTT when I eventually order one. I haven’t had a need for it yet.

The rails also work great for lumber, canoes, etc and you can easily add the front runner bike, kayak, or other racks, I haven’t bought any yet.

As far as general duffel bag storage up there, I plan to order a sheet of HDPE or just use some plywood coated with epoxy and painted. I just want a flat rack with a bunch of routed out holes to tie stuff down to when necessary.

gabrielef

If you can handle it being 3” high from the center of the glass to the top of the bar, I’m extremely happy with my Front Runner load bars. They are for an H3 as they were the cheapest available, and only required adding fender washers to fit right in the factory short roof rails. I added the wind deflector since there was a whistling noise without it.

View attachment 671997

Coincidentally, these bars end up being the exact dimensions of the Front Runner RTT, it’s 49” wide and 53” long. These rails have tracks that can hold a captive nut, so my plan is to just drill holes in the floor pan of the RTT when I eventually order one. I haven’t had a need for it yet.

The rails also work great for lumber, canoes, etc and you can easily add the front runner bike, kayak, or other racks, I haven’t bought any yet.

As far as general duffel bag storage up there, I plan to order a sheet of HDPE or just use some plywood coated with epoxy and painted. I just want a flat rack with a bunch of routed out holes to tie stuff down to when necessary.

What’s the load capacity of those load bars?

gatorgrizz27

What’s the load capacity of those load bars?

Apparently the slats and brackets are rated for 220 lbs dynamic/660 lbs static load. They don’t actually state that on each vehicle application since it is derated to the OEM roof weight rating.

douglastic

I’m thinking Rectangular aluminum tubing know that right to the factory roof rail

Agreed - lowest possible would be bolting the "bar" of your choice directly to the factory rails - Cheapest by far, too
Get as many bars under the tent as you want, right where you need them

Dogpilot

I had a similar issue with the Range Rover Supercharged. The factory bars put the RTT so high it interfered with low flying aircraft. It also puts the CG of the vehicle a bit on the high side as well. So I ended up machining six mounts and modifying Front Runner mounts to make a really low profile mounting system. I use the Thule bars for the RTT, just because it is much faster to mount that way. I fabbed up a hoist system in the hanger so I can pull everything off in 10 minutes. You can mount some of the tents directly to the Front Runner Slimline. I can also store one RotoPax can under the tent mounts. The larger wind fairing is also one I made from ABS sheet, patterned after a Yakima fairing, just bigger. The lower one is the Front Runner one supplied with the rack.Range Rover Rack 1.jpgRange Rover Rack 2.jpgRange Rover Rack 3.jpgRange Rover Rack 4.jpgRange Rover Rack 5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online