Low Height Battery

Saratoga

Adventurer
Hiya

I'm trying to get a decent size battery to go on my LR90. However the only space to put it is underneath the passenger seat next to the other battery.

And there is even less space at the back than the front, where the main battery is.

The max height of the battery can be 15cm and can be 30cm wide and 23cm long. That's the space of the box.

I'd rather not get a Gel Cell battery in there as they are quite low on capacity. Any suggestions for getting something to fit please?

TIA :)

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Battery Group physical sizes are listed on the net. I'd look up one of them and see if there is a group size that will fit. Armed with that info you can then peruse the mfg pages looking for who makes that group size.

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
In terms of Lead acid batteries,
There are gel batteries.
There are AGM batteries.
There are flooded batteries.

Gel batteries have very specific charging requirements that make them a bad choice of vehicles, so that leaves AGM and flooded.

If your battery is going inside the passenger compartment you need an AGM. Unless it is going into a sealed and vented to the exterior box, you need an AGM battery. And it can be argued that even an AGM battery must be in a sealed and exteriorly vented box.

The only batteries which have significantly less capacity are Optima.
Other AGM batteries are within 5% of their flooded cousins, and it can be argued that the 5% less capacity is not an issue because they still have more cranking amps when discharged the same amount as a flooded battery.

For AGM batteries on opposite ends of the quality spectrum look up universal batteries and Lifeline batteries.

And remove the term gel cell from your vocabulary. Gel batteries have their applications where they are a good choice, but that application is nowhere near an expedition vehicle.

Saratoga

Adventurer
I've got some batteries now for it, they are the Yuasa ones, only 35ah but paired up should do the job ;) It was a bit of a squeeze though :eek:

5220771850_38ed43eec2_z.jpg

This shows the two batteries in the box. The orange thing is the split charge thingy. That is mud in the box too :eek: Hence:

5220774002_8e5d884ae0_z.jpg

It has been moved to a plastic box and the external fuse will be replaced by a weatherproof one which I have here ;)

At two locations in the vehicle (one up front and one in the back next to the rig) I'll have one of these little boxes based, although it'll have a cover on obviously :D

5220779310_ce314eaefa_z.jpg
I think that will be enough power/sockets ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior