Low-cost Chinese generators

HINO SG

Adventurer
Just bought the WEN 850 (2-cycle) unit on closeout from Menards. I'll be using it amost daily; any thoughts/experience?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Good luck with spares... I had one given to me (door prize with a bigger purchase). It worked OK til the pull-start mechanism broke. Called all over SLC and couldn't find anyone who would even entertain attempting to order a part for it.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Not sure if you saw this topic : Bargain generator

It is one of the Chinese generators. It is a Honda copy and I am told Honda parts will work for replacement. Everything I can see confirms that for the most part. There are differences in the muffler and air filter, but I think Honda replacement, although different, would bolt on.

I think I tend to agree that the "genuine" item may be more refined and the quality higher. I am not sure that warrants the ten fold difference in price for the uses I have in mind. If it were powering the life support system for a loved one, I may choose differently, but to power less important items I think this will do.

That little WEN 850 looks like a viable solution for the price. $80 is pretty cheap. You can buy half a dozen of them and still be money ahead of the others available.

Only time will tell if it has the quality and durability needed.

Shucks-Checker-Kragen have the Powerstar Plus 1200 watt generators on sale for $99. With the great customer discount 25% off that would make them $75. That doesn't sound too bad for a small generator.

Last edited:

Conrad_Turbo

Observer
HenryJ said:
I think I tend to agree that the "genuine" item may be more refined and the quality higher. I am not sure that warrants the ten fold difference in price for the uses I have in mind.

They have to pay for the R&D costs somehow...instead of just copying something else that is already out there. I am not rich by no means but 9 times out of 10 I will not support a copy cat product and avoid product from China when I can...which is pretty hard this day and age.

mrchips

Adventurer
Just to throw my 2 cents in to the mix,,,, We should be getting away from 2 cycle products. I would hope that we who enjoy the outdoors/and adventure would be aware of the pollution that 2 cycle engines produce,,,,,,,,,,,

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
mrchips said:
I would hope that we who enjoy the outdoors/and adventure would be aware of the pollution that 2 cycle engines produce
Ever try Redline synthetic smokeless 2 cycle oil? That is all I use for my air cooled 2 - cycle engines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94