Low BTU AC options ---> turned cheapo 5kBTU install in the Idacamper2.0

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
As mentioned previously, I used a radiator fan and a PWM speed controller to keep the noise down. The one I used is out of stock, but I'm sure you can find others. Air flow is critical to avoid burned out air conditioners.

The good news of this type of A/C is that it does a good job (too good?) of moving air around the camper. My roof mounted A/C is nowhere near as effective.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I'm not concerned about the radiator fan noise, but thanks for the link.

This unit does do a great job of moving air, and the louvers are adjustable left-right

We also utilize a few USB fans for air movement (used more-so in the winter so far), that simply hang on cabinet pulls, so they can be placed pretty much anywhere.
But there is always on in the cab-over bead area.

Like these...

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Our radiator fan was so noisy that folks thought we had a genset.

When we had a 6k BTU A/C in the Tiger the air flow, on the lowest setting, was so strong that we had to sleep with our heads on the driver's side. Wish we had that kind of air flow with our current setup.

FWIW, we found that the temp swing was such that we preferred to leave the fan on constantly and actually raise the temperature at the thermostat. As always, YMMV!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Ah, are you saying yours typically cycles the fan?

This unit does not. Its too dumb for that. VERY basic with manual controls.
When its on, the fan runs continuously, on both the low and high settings.
Only the compressor cycles.

So once you "acclimate" to the white noise of the fan, its non-obtrusive.

On low you do hear the radiator fan, but on high you do not.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
So... testing continues.

Camper is loaded back up for our next trip, so Ive had the little Honda EU2k running to test things out.

The generator runs the AC on both high and low, as well as the radiator fan without problem, all on eco-throttle.
When the AC compressor kicks on, the geni ramps up RPM to handle it, then settle back down to nearly idle.

We seem to be good to go.

My only concern now is how the AC unit will handle things when the generator runs out of fuel.......
Obviously it will shut off, but when the geni runs out of fuel it isnt an instant ON-OFF.

Time will tell. I guess I could put the AC on a timer, so it always shuts off before the generator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles