Low BTU AC options ---> turned cheapo 5kBTU install in the Idacamper2.0

The Artisan

Adventurer
The thru-wall unit should meet all of my concerns. Wish I had known they existed.

Good luck!
It does only down side is 8k unit more power to run it off grid. Ideal for a campground situation, imo.
I am looking at 3 tesla or lifepo equivlent packs should be about 15,000 + watts of power
Kevin

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
I installed AC in my Hallmark and put a marine hatch on the side with a 10in radiator fan from amazon ($27) that is rated at 1100cfm - I’m sure I’ll be lucky if it puts out half that - to get good airflow. Without the radiator fan my AC would run for 60 seconds or less before shutting off. Ran for an hour tonight and dropped the temp 18F from 95 to 77.
884380fe1f2fa798e87e40dc9fd408a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
'nother update on this.

I gave it a very good test this weekend, with highs between 95 and 100 degrees (F)

At these temps, the unit did eventually start to short-cycle on high.
It did not short cycle on low.

Fitting it with a small 1500 CFM 7" push/pull radiator fan (12V) right over the side vent as a test, fixed the issue entirely.
In near triple digits, the little 5k unit was able to cool the camper down to 70 degrees in roughly 3 hours.

For now, Ill simply fasten the fan more permanently to the side of the camper.
In the near future, when I have the time, I will consider frenching it or another fan into the side of the camper.
Id like to find a small sealed motor 120V fan, so I do not have to use a power supply or run off of camper 12V
Id like both ac and booster fan to run on shore power only (or generator)

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Not terrible.

Mostly air movement noise from the AC blower.
You really have to listen to hear the compressor kick on/off.

For reference, Id say its roughly the amount of noise you hear from a typical box fan.
In bed, with the AC on, its more or less white noise.

Ill get some photos of the fan fitment this evening.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
definitely no space within the AC unit. Already looked there.... very tight.

And I like the looks of those wet location fans. Good find. Not so great cost :ROFLMAO:
At those prices, Ill stick to a small power supply an the cheapo radiator fan.

dreadlocks

yeah just use em for part numbers then go over to fle-bay and find some scrapper selling em for pennies.. I got a whole bunch of 8in axial AC fans for my server cabinets for nothing out of an e-waste pile at work.. they still working great 10y later, really well built.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Thanks dude. Now using keywords.... "Round Axial Fan" in my searches.

Im an Ebay junky, and Ive got more options now... (y)

dreadlocks

yeah me too.. love ebay finds, scored tons of great deals over the last, leme check.. ******** 20 years.

ok so I'm months away from my ebay account being old enough to drink, I think my gmail account already is.. aint no school like old school I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94