Low BTU AC options ---> turned cheapo 5kBTU install in the Idacamper2.0

dreadlocks

given the choice of white noise v swamp ass.. I'll take the AC any day if I'm needing to avoid heatstroke.

shade

Lets hope the noise it makes wont drive you crazy !
If so, he could always put slides under it without increasing the total width. :)

IdaSHO, I'm just messing with you. I know you aren't interested in any type of sliding configuration, and you have your reasons.
I hope it works out, as this is an often overlooked, but affordable way to add effective cooling to small campers.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
No worries bud. Serious testing will happen this summer.
Ill report with my findings for others. This is a very easy and cheap way to do it, so hopefully it is effective.

BTW, the noise is the least of my worries.

That said, the little AC unit very quiet. I doubt Ill hear it over the generator.

dreadlocks

I've seen these lil micro units on almost every DIY teardrop Ive checked out on the road.. usually sitting on the tongue, if I remember correctly one of the lil campers my dad had when I was a kid had a normal window unit hanging out the back with some steel water pipe supporting it off the bumper.. seems to make sense for a tiny space, not often you can win both cheap and effective in the same game.

When I was a teenager my parents took off for the Bayu for a few week car camping expo, they came back with a window unit in the trunk.. apparently nobody could sleep at night it was so hot and muggy so they bought a cheap AC and put it inside their coleman tent.. They raved about how great their airconditioned tent was and I thought they were loonies, but now I'm old and looking back it seems brilliant, they didnt pay for any of the power at normal camps heh.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
You seen the latest Roadkill episode? They strapped a generator to the truck to power a 120V milkhouse heater to keep them warm on a winter roadtrip :ROFLMAO:

The good news? I typically make getto look good......:LOL:

shade

I've seen these lil micro units on almost every DIY teardrop Ive checked out on the road.. usually sitting on the tongue, if I remember correctly one of the lil campers my dad had when I was a kid had a normal window unit hanging out the back with some steel water pipe supporting it off the bumper.. seems to make sense for a tiny space, not often you can win both cheap and effective in the same game.

When I was a teenager my parents took off for the Bayu for a few week car camping expo, they came back with a window unit in the trunk.. apparently nobody could sleep at night it was so hot and muggy so they bought a cheap AC and put it inside their coleman tent.. They raved about how great their airconditioned tent was and I thought they were loonies, but now I'm old and looking back it seems brilliant, they didnt pay for any of the power at normal camps heh.
The only time I've ever absolutely wanted AC while camping was when I was told we had to camp in Colorado Springs in July in a crowded RV park. After I squeezed the pop-up trailer between our neighbors, we huddled under the rooftop beast and enjoyed its cool, life giving blessings. The next night, we slept at 10,000' outside Leadville for free, and were much more comfortable - with no noise. "Why didn't we do this last night?" ?‍♀️

dreadlocks

Who the hell even needs aircon in Colorado, My house dont even have aircon. I think I used mine once here at Lake Pueblo in August, mid day was quite brutal w/very little shade.. My brother lured me out there like an idiot for some snake hunting group that canceled.. pretty sweet lake fishing tho.

Everything is so blown out, used to camp outside co springs as a kid when Woodland Park was tiny and all the camps were mostly empty.. now its all dispersed camping allways, if we do any camp grounds its for a group thing where not everyone is as well equipped as I am.. and someone has to make reservations in the winter to secure it.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
So I did what I never thought Id ever do....
Blew a big hole in the wall of the camper :oops:

Coming along nicely.

Hole saw from the inside used for the initial penetration.
Then flush trim bit, followed by 1/2" roundover bit.

The top was done freehand using the router bit(s) in the die grinder as the roof lip created interference.

49791044442_712ace905e_b.jpg

49790186878_d1648d81f8_b.jpg

test fit....

49791045772_090ab73c29_b.jpg

This side wall will house the additional cool air intake vent. Fingers crossed its enough.

49790733651_024218502e_b.jpg

And pushing to epoxy. First coat down.
Next coat will include glass cloth to marry all joints.

49790733776_70f0e21968_b.jpg

D

Deleted member 9101

So I did what I never thought Id ever do....
Blew a big hole in the wall of the camper :oops:

Coming along nicely.

Hole saw from the inside used for the initial penetration.
Then flush trim bit, followed by 1/2" roundover bit.

The top was done freehand using the router bit(s) in the die grinder as the roof lip created interference.

49791044442_712ace905e_b.jpg

49790186878_d1648d81f8_b.jpg

test fit....

49791045772_090ab73c29_b.jpg

This side wall will house the additional cool air intake vent. Fingers crossed its enough.

49790733651_024218502e_b.jpg

And pushing to epoxy. First coat down.
Next coat will include glass cloth to marry all joints.

49790733776_70f0e21968_b.jpg

I had an A/C that size in my Jumping Jack trailer, with no insulation it could make it uncomfortablely cold.... In August....in South Florida...lol.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Nope

It will have a stainless expanded metal cage over it, but no sealed cover.
Entirely too far off the ground when the camper is on the truck anyhow.

For non- hotter than hell summer travel, I plan to pull the AC, cover the "outside" portion in a nylon cover, then reinstall.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Side vents cutouts in process..

(these further complicate the idea of a sealed cover)

Once the epoxy is cured, the final cut will be made, to connect outside to inside the box.

The holes are 3-1/2" in diameter, and sized to fit ABS pipe that will act as a sleeve.
The sleeves will be epoxied in, edges rounded over, than glassed like the box.

49790431048_01a7ddf88e_b.jpg

Vent cover will be one of these stainless louvered guys

41WedSjS2OL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_PIStarRatingFIVE%2CBottomLeft%2C360%2C-6_SR600%2C315_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles