Low BTU AC options ---> turned cheapo 5kBTU install in the Idacamper2.0

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Very little offerings for small campers I know. Ours is less than 80sq feet, and less than 300 cubic feet of air to condition.
Even a 5kBTU unit is overkill....

We are getting closer and closer to hitting the road full time, and have summer trip coming up, to the heart of texas.
So adding AC is on my mind. But the options for sub 5kBTU units is slim to none.

Anyone venture down the road with a server rack AC unit?

2kBTU
120vAC
Rotary R134A compressor
<55 DB <-------noise... my primary concern
small & lightweight Just 35 lbs

Runs about $650

srcool2kwm-features.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
There is a lot more to it than that.

Assumption of just how effective it needs to be is one.
Removing humidity, is another.

Most units are FAR too big, resulting in short-cycling, and not properly removing moisture.

Rando

Explorer
Definitely an interesting idea. I like the low power draw (276W max, so only 22A or so at 12V). But I do wonder if it will be enough to make a difference. Shade has a good point that just removing the 'human heat' uses almost half the capacity, which doesn't leave much for either dehumidification or cooling. The need to dehumidify also reduces your ability to cool. It also looks like it draws air for the condenser from the conditioned space, so you would need to add some sort of duct work to bring in outside air for that as well.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Considering we have survived this long without any AC, any improvement is huge.
Even if it was able to maintain a 15 degree margin Id be happy.

I already have a compartment that is vented to the exterior and it wouldn't take much to make it work.
I might have to cut an opening in another side of the compartment and add a fan to increase airflow across the unit, but thats no biggy.

I'm just curious if anyone is familiar with this particular unit, or units similar.

The compartment is the rear drivers side. It was originally intended for a generator. It fits our Honda EU2k
The door is vented (could add much bigger vent) and It connects all the way to the rear wall, where I could add a fan.

48541440247_1a770dea42_b.jpg

The Artisan

Adventurer
My buddy and I were looking at this option yrs ago with my pod well insulated at 84sf I think it is a great option. They make a 7k as well but more amp/hr
Kevin

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
It seems to be that you might find some options in the trucking world. Specifically, I have seen some micro AC units rigged up to hotshot trucks ( full size pickups ) A lot of those folks get a micro sleeper unit or convert the rear of the crew cab into a bed. spotted a few units similar to this in parking lots. Most seem to run a small honda genset etc to run it. https://climateright.com/2500-btu-small-ac-and-heater.html I am sure there is a way to link it into house batteries. Have seen a few other interesting window units on the bigger rigs that seem to run off the trucks APR so they don't have to run the motor. This looks like an interesting option. Seems to have a self contained batt bank that charges when you are on the move. https://www.voltaair.com/truck-no-idle-ac-iq/ This seems to be another popular option https://www.arcticbreeze-truckac.com/

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Ive looked at the climate right units. Reliability is not what Id call good. Ratings are pretty terrible.

Also, the no idle AC kits for big trucks are not small, nor anything remotely inexpensive.
The smallest Ive seen is 10kBTU and pushing north of $3000

dreadlocks

I've had experience with units such as this in various server rooms and datacenters over the years, and they are anything but quiet.. thats not really a requirement when you have 1U servers running at mach 2 nearby.. I would be highly suspect that this would be any quieter than a normal rooftop camper unit.

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
If Tripplite builds these like they build their PDUs... inside will be cheap, and built for stationary use in a datacenter, not vehicle-mounted. It may behoove you to bench test it, then disassemble it and reinforce wiring and anything else that looks flimsy. Consider mounting it on some rubber isolating feet, may help with longevity and noise. Good luck!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Thanks guys, all input is appreciated.

Currently weighing my options. I may just toss a $100 5kBTU window unit in the camper and plan on using the little UE2k Honda

shade

There is a lot more to it than that.

Assumption of just how effective it needs to be is one.
Removing humidity, is another.

Most units are FAR too big, resulting in short-cycling, and not properly removing moisture.

I realize there are many factors, but one that's easy to define is the heat generated by the occupants. You can probably figure out how much humidity two bodies will release, too.

Thanks guys, all input is appreciated.

Currently weighing my options. I may just toss a $100 5kBTU window unit in the camper and plan on using the little UE2k Honda

I have a Honda EU2000i that I've used a few times to run a small unit to cool my insulated garage. Just as you described, drying out the air and knocking the temperature down makes a big difference. If you can find a way to make a window unit work with your camper, that's a cheap, effective solution.

You may find that running the AC for a few hours will cool down the camper enough to make sleeping comfortable through the rest of the night without it.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yeah, replacement cost is a big thing as well.
So I nabbed a 5kBTU mini-compact from work today.
Even if the thing only lasts a year or two, it was just $125.

Manual dials, no fancy gismos. Should run on the little EU2k easily.
Its also smaller than I anticipated.... I might just knock a hole in the back wall of the camper, and enclose the exterior portion in a wire cage....

Thanks guys

dreadlocks

When sleeping w/my aircon it was not the constant noise that would wake me up but the jolt of the compressor kicking on/off, when your on wheels/suspension that kinda thing transfers into your body remarkably easy... I've been thinking of installing a soft-start on mine, not because my honda eu2200 needs it.. but so the compressor cycling on/off is less dramatic and I can sleep through it.. I dont think you want a quiet aircon because then you'll hear the genset running full tilt.

I havent done it yet because I need aircon so rarely, but having aircon opens up alot of the country to me and my intolerance to humidity and heat.. Probably will have it on by the next Eclipse when I'll take this rig on its first journey to the south east.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I just did a test run of the little AC with the Honda EU2000

It barely notices it, and runs fine with it even on ECO-throttle.
Time will tell once it is really tested in the heat.

Also, the AC I grabbed seems to have a soft start of some sort.
Fans do not come on instantaneous, then ramp up in RPM.
Not sure about the compressor, but it is definitely cooling.

This is the unit I am trying.
Reviews are not the greatest, but at $125 I dont care :ROFLMAO:

Only obvious thing, that is mentioned a couple times in the reviews, is that it doesnt even have a drain on it.
So I plan on drilling a few drain holes on it. Easy fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles