Low beam headlights not working on '05 Montero

plh

Explorer
Wifes daily driver ('05 Montero), she mentioned last night the on her way home from work both headlights quit working (didn't come on).

Initial diagnosis: High beams work fine, factory fog lights work fine when headlight switch is on Low Beam & turn off on High beam - this is normal, rear lights and brake lights work normal.

Inspected fuses both under dash and in engine compartment - They are OK.

Reviewed wiring diagram in FSM - appears that there is a ECM that has some function with the lights, it resides in the engine compartment fuse box. Part number MR587816. Is there a test procedure for this unit? Don't see one in the FSM. Anybody know if this unit actually controls the headlights?

Anybody else ever have this issue and resolved it?

nckwltn

Explorer
It could be the stalk.... I forget the exact issue, but my notes say it was something with the bright lights (and/or turn signals), I fixed both issues on the same date.

I replaced a stalk and it resolved the issue.

I used rock auto to find other mitsubishi vehicles the same stalk was found in, and pulled one out of another mitsu as Gen 3s aren't real common at my pick-a-parts.

plh

Explorer
just a quick side question...how do you like those bulbs?

Just a quick note of my observance this morning while driving ahead of my wife. The new Philips bulbs are noticeably whiter and brighter then the old (OEM I'd assume) bulbs that were removed. She says they are great... Sorry - not very scientific.

plh

Explorer
Another follow up on these bulbs. They are nice and bright, but longevity is not so great. Maybe its worth $26 a year. I'll be ordering my 3rd set today. 1st May 2016, 2nd Sept 2017 and now 3rd Sept 2018.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94