Love the new Tundra

MR. ED

Observer
Yesterday I test drove the 2014 Tacoma, 4runner, and Tundra Crewmax, all 4x4. Really liked the Tacoma and 4runner, LOVED the tundra!
I'm going to be selling/trading the 01 dodge diesel and 04 Outback to get a new commuter rig. After years of MPG being the #1 priority I've moved comfort and safety to the front. The Subaru is great if I'm in it for less than an hour. The Dodge was my work/commuter for years until I inherited the Outback.
My commute will be about 3 hours roundtrip starting in Jan. I know that commute and Tundra don't really belong together, but it seemed to be very comfortable. Does anyone drive a Tundra for long distances on a regular basis? I'm curious if it's as comfortable long term as it is short term. I don't NEED a truck that big, but I'm really leaning towards it now.
Any advice/comments are welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:

Joe's Toy

Observer
Hi Ed, I have an 07 tundra which has the same drivetrain as the 2014. The 2014 had the exterior/interior redesign so I can't comment directly on comforts of the 14 but I'll tell you I love our 2007.

The longest I've been in the truck was when I sold a Harley and made a 1 day round trip delivery from Vegas to Tucson and back (12-13 hrs in the truck).

After the trip I didn't have any pains, wasn't overly exhausted from "working" to keep the truck on the road or up to speed. It's just nice to have the power and stability to get where you want. I should tell you I drive the 03 Tacoma mostly, my wife typically drives the Tundra as it's bigger and I feel more comfortable with our 1 year old in the "big" truck, but I drive the Tundra anytime I know she won't need it and love every minute of it.

If you haven't looked already there's a few forums dedicated to Tundras where you might get more specific information on the platform.

http://www.tundratalk.net/ is a good one.

Good luck on your hunt.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
No specific feedback for you in regards to butt time in the truck but I will tell you I feel much "safer" in Tundra or larger sized vehicle. I know all modern cars/trucks have crash zones but...
I have test driven them a few times and I'm sold and if they made one in stick it would be my DD. It will be the replacement for our Jeep GC when it's dead. That is my wife's bad weather and our shared outing vehicle. Can't wait till it's a Tundra!!!

You will be spending a lot on gas but if you have the cash to do it and feel most comfortable in that truck, do it.

Keep us posted on your decision.

-jorge

TEC3

Adventurer
Hi Ed, I have an 07 tundra which has the same drivetrain as the 2014. The 2014 had the exterior/interior redesign so I can't comment directly on comforts of the 14 but I'll tell you I love our 2007.

The longest I've been in the truck was when I sold a Harley and made a 1 day round trip delivery from Vegas to Tucson and back (12-13 hrs in the truck).

After the trip I didn't have any pains, wasn't overly exhausted from "working" to keep the truck on the road or up to speed. It's just nice to have the power and stability to get where you want. I should tell you I drive the 03 Tacoma mostly, my wife typically drives the Tundra as it's bigger and I feel more comfortable with our 1 year old in the "big" truck, but I drive the Tundra anytime I know she won't need it and love every minute of it.

If you haven't looked already there's a few forums dedicated to Tundras where you might get more specific information on the platform.

http://www.tundratalk.net/ is a good one.

Good luck on your hunt.

I really would like the specs on that tundra.

For the original post. I put roughly 3500 miles a month on my tundra and it is very comfortable. I love it and like driving it over my wife's Acura mdx. If you can afford the gas go for it.

BIGGUY

Adventurer
Yesterday I test drove the 2014 Tacoma, 4runner, and Tundra Crewmax, all 4x4. Really liked the Tacoma and 4runner, LOVED the tundra!
I'm going to be selling/trading the 01 dodge diesel and 04 Outback to get a new commuter rig. After years of MPG being the #1 priority I've moved comfort and safety to the front. The Subaru is great if I'm in it for less than an hour. The Dodge was my work/commuter for years until I inherited the Outback.
My commute will be about 3 hours roundtrip starting in Jan. I know that commute and Tundra don't really belong together, but it seemed to be very comfortable. Does anyone drive a Tundra for long distances on a regular basis? I'm curious if it's as comfortable long term as it is short term. I don't NEED a truck that big, but I'm really leaning towards it now.
Any advice/comments are welcome. Thanks.

I bought a 2014 Tundra Double Cab with the SR5 upgrade and the TRD package in April. It's smooth, roomy, and very nice. I love it. I've made a few longer trips in it such as drives in my area around 200 miles or a little more. I also made a run of approx 400 miles and then I just got back from a drive on Thursday of about 785 miles. I've been very comfortable for the most part. Being a big guy with a bad back the seats in just about any vehicle tend to bother me a little compared to someone smaller and healthier. After awhile the seat in the Tundra starts to bother me a little. I usually readjust it a bit and that helps and I also bought a gel seat cushion that I use for awhile too. Overall I'm very happy with the comfort though. The 400 mile trip was from Rock Springs, WY where I live down to Steamboat Springs, CO on 2 lane highways with varying speed limits so it was a little longer time wise than say the Interstate. The long trip on Thursday was from here down to Silverton and Ouray, CO. I drove to Silverton and it was 399.7 miles and then ran around the area a bit and drove back home. I put on approx 785 miles with it taking me just over 6 hours down, just over 7 hours back and then about 4-5 hours driving around the area. I actually felt better after I got home and the next day than I have in my FJ Cruiser that I traded for the Tundra. Most of my problem was from my broken down body and not the Tundra. The ride is good and it's quiet. I average 16.5mpg everyday with a mix of I80, in town, 2 lane highway, and dirt roads. On the Steamboat trip I got 18.74mpg. On the trip to Ouray I got 17mpg going down and it looks like a lot better on the way back. I'll be fueling up here in a little while and will know for sure. Going down I played road racer in a couple of sections and coming home I drove a lot slower as it was dark and the road I was on has a lot of deer and elk in the area. Making such a long drive in my FJ before wore me out and I had trouble staying awake. This trip I was fine until about the last 30 miles and then I was ready to just stop so it was a better experience.

I fueled up this afternoon and on the return trip mentioned above I got 19.15mpg.

Last edited:

racerjb

Observer
Hey Ed,

I recently got a 2014 Tundra double cab limited trd. I am extremely happy with it. I commute about 1.5 hrs round trip plus longer trips on the weekend. I agree that the comfort level of a half ton is great plus the new Tundra interior is way better and equal to a chev/ford/ram. I may pay more in MPG but it is worth versus a commuter car to me. Also the actual annual difference you save on mpg with commuter is not that much. My previous vehicle was a '10 dodge diesel 2500 and it got the same MPG as the tundra. I did leave it stock so the EPA crap on new diesels really hurts the MPG. I could have deleted it all but didn't want to mess with it. Also with a fair bit of aftermarket suspension it still was a ruff ride but I knew that since it was HD. Anyhow, I downsized to the tundra and love it. My only complaint with Tundra is the small gas tank. I have to fuel up a lot. If you can wait the '15 model is supposed to have a larger capacity tank. My wife has a 5th gen 4 runner and I like that too. However, we tend to always take the Tundra on weekend trips. Also the halfton truck market is pretty competitive these days with mpg and all the different motors configs but the reliabilty of the Toyota 5.7L is hard to beat.

bkg

Explorer
Commuting 3 hours ar 13-16mpg? No thanks. Buy a cheap car and save $600 month in fuel costs. I liked my 11 crewmax, but not enough to spend that much in fuel. I got rid of it when monthly fuel costs topped $600. I have more important this BG to spend money on than fuel. But, that's just me.. And I know I'm strange.

v_man

Explorer
Wow, yea ... Buying the Tundra with comfort and safety being your top priorities for a 3 hour round trip commute seems odd .

But if you have other needs that the Tundra fulfills in addition to commuting , like camping and light off roading , then I could see it as a reasonable purchase .

I dunno. There's lots if safe and comfortable vehicles that get better than 16mpg , a Volvo comes to mind.

CYK

Adventurer
I get about 13mpg pegged on a lifted land cruiser with the same engine except made in japan... Can't imagine driving even my luxo tank 3 hours commute time. Would take the love out of driving this beast quick.

Going 100 miles on weekend 405 traffic to and from Newport Beach to Santa Monica drains the tank by 1/4 with radar cruise on all the way. That's not even close to 2 hours of driving.

My guesstimate is you're draining 1/3 tank everyday. That's straight nuts to me no matter how much cash you have to burn. We haven't even gotten into accelerated maintenance schedule, wear and tear, depreciation on a very nice truck.

My $.50.

MR. ED

Observer
Definitely concerned about the MPG's. I'm open to all options as far as commuters go. I've been doing 1+ hour each way back and forth to work in the Subby for the last 2 years and it's starting to hurt.
Thought about Volvos, VW's, and Hondas, but I really want a truck. I used to drive an 86 xtra-cab that I miss about twice a week. I was looking at the Tacoma until I realized the Tundra's not much more.Thanks for all the replies.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
Wife and I are over 60 and routinely drive our Sequoia for 10 hour one way trips. When we are in a hurry, one stop for gas. Not exactly a Tundra, but close.
Large vehicle comfort and economy don't usually match, but you know that.

I commuted 1 hour in my LJ. Now drive an Accord. More comfort than the LJ, but nowhere close to the Sequoia. Just took the Accord on an unexpected 4 hour round trip, with a 1 hour meeting in the middle, still not anywhere close to the Sequoia.

Get the Tundra

racerjb

Observer
Since your getting rid of two vehicles, the truck I assume is your "outdoor" rig and your commuter car. You might have less expenses such as insurance, maintenance cost by going to one dual purpose vehicle. If the tundra allows you to get to work but also play on the weekends then why not go for it! I use my Tundra everyday for both work, commuting, plus getting it all setup for weekend backcounty adventure trips. It's also definitely not as fun spending maintenance cost on your commuter such as tires, oil changes, other issues that can arise versus putting money into a vehicle you enjoy. I guess you would really have to figure out how much the difference in MPG really is for you per year.

Rchefas

I just did a 10 day 3600-mile wandering trip around the PNW in my 01 Tundra (TRD, Limited) where I was camping (sleeping in the back of the Tundra) most nights. It's so comfortable on trips that even after driving it 10+ hours on a day I would still sit in the cab and read after dinner for a while before I crawled in the back. Went from SF to Glacier and back. I was also photographing wildlife so I was sitting in it many hours that were not driving and I spent a few days in Glacier.

The last day I made for home and drove 18 hours straight. That wore me out a little but I wasn't sore or stiff at all. I'm not a small guy and I'm in my 40s and I do have a history of back problems. I'd like a new Tundra but can't justify it yet as mine is still running strong (at 181K miles) and is a great vehicle. I bought it new so I've had it now for 14 years. It's been really nice not having a car payment the last 10 years too :)

That much of a commute would be tough though. Not from a comfort/drivability standpoint but just from a gas and maintenance standpoint.

nucktaco

Adventurer
my dad has an 07 tundra crewmax that he daily drives. puts about 100-150 kms a day on commuting between our shops. he loves it and is going to be buying a new one in the next year or so. 300k kms on it now and no major issues have arisen. he did say the mileage sucks but in regards to comfort its great. we have done a few long hauls with it and even with his bad back hasnt had an issue. we did vancouver to palm springs in a 1 shot 20 hr drive with no issues 5 or 6 times in a past few years and the freeway mileage wasnt bad, and with US gas prices being what they are its not too expensive to fill.

MR. ED

Observer
racerjb- I have an 89 K5 for my new work/play rig. I was going to sell that too and get a Tacoma when I started looking at the Tundra. Still an option-rear locker and ATRAC! Basically I'm sick of having too many cars. I always leave something I need in the last vehicle that I was in. Need to simplify!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior