Lost World Expedition (US-Central-South America)

LateNate

Adventurer
Awesome!

Whats up? This is Nathan. I sent you guys an e-mail earlier. I just went to your website before finishing up this post. It seems Freddy and I might be having to do the same thing as far as updating multiple things, ie. Facebook, ExPo, and our website. It does sound time consuming. I like the baja info. We plan on surfing and also climbing. I like to hear that the crime is not as bad as the media makes it out to be also. I have started our thread here also. Its under Our Turn for the Pan-Am. Check it out.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Just found this travel blog and what an experience.

Great to revisit so many of the places we've stayed through others eyes. It's also so good to see how many EXPO members step up to help and offer places to stay and support.

Good luck Luis and Lacey, and keep up with the posts, whether they be Facebook, Website or EXPO Forum, some how those of us following will find them:victory:

We are in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato. We have been here for a couple of weeks. Lacey was attending a jewelry making school and I have been loitering around the area eating everything in site and harassing street vendors for recipes and what not :)... We are also waiting for a solar panel that we ordered a couple of weeks ago.

Thank you so much for the few of you that have commented. This trip has been eye-opening already and we have not even left North America! People we have met along the way, through ExPo and just by serendipity have been amazing to us. Both the U.S. and Mexico have proven to be even more beautiful than we could have ever imagined.

According to our "plans" we should have been in Costa Rica by now, but we have decided to take it slow and enjoy the trip (the whole plan of finishing the trip in a year and a half has been put to rest). We should be in Mexico another month and a half...?

4335162872_129d7cf3ce.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
"we have decided to take it slow and enjoy the trip"

Bravo! And thanks for the great writing and photography in your blog.

One year on the road today!

I have not been posting on this thread (or on my website) as much as I should. But today marks our one year anniversary on the road. Can you believe it?

Exactly one year ago today we got rid of anything that would not fit into The Landcruiser and moved out of our beautiful wreck of a house. We said farewell to our friends and neighbors one year ago. We have been living out of the Landcruiser for one year. Living on the road, driving around the United States, Mexico and all of Central America for the last year. 9 countries and 8 border crossings in one year. Redundant? Yes, I know, but we can hardly believe it has been that long, it seems like our going away party at Humboldt Brews was just yesterday.

When we left our home in Arcata, California on July 18th 2009 the plan was to drive to Ushuaia, Argentina and back "home" to Arcata in a year. Plans change, or maybe they evolve. However you look at it, our plans are definitely changing as time goes by, almost daily.

The truth is The Landcruiser has become "home" and we are still in Central America even though the original plan called for us to be headed back to California by now. Don't get us wrong we have no intention of not finishing our "trip of the Americas." We have just decided to go a little slower. We have adopted the nomadic lifestyle, we have become vagabonds, we are the transients that so annoyed us in Arcata (well, maybe not that bad).

What does this all mean? Who knows. At the very least it means our adventure towards Ushuaia has been extended at the very least another year and a half! Yes, December 2011 in Argentina. What happens between now and there, could be anyone's guess. The only certainties we have are that we have some amazing countries left to visit and the fact that our plans will continue to evolve :)

(This same note will be posted on our website/blog later this evening)

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Slow going means more seeing and that is a good thing.
I often read trip reports here, on HUBB, on ADVrider and marvel at how folks blast through an area so fast.
I look back on the mistakes I have made doing the same thing.

Great to see you making the choice to travel slower and enjoy more, the only timeline & deadline is yours, good on ya!

Keep us updated though, many of us are living through you :)

We are re-grouping and re-organizing in Panama, but should be posting more and more often soon :)
Check out this very innacurate map I just finished...
4805674965_58cbae332e.jpg

Neither the map nor the route are accurate, but it is actually pretty close.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
We are re-grouping and re-organizing in Panama, but should be posting more and more often soon :)
Check out this very innacurate map I just finished...
4805674965_58cbae332e.jpg

Neither the map nor the route are accurate, but it is actually pretty close.

I am suprised you skipped the west coast of Mexico and the Mex200. It truely is a fantastic area of Mexico with tons of good camping. I had planned to do about the same route as you through the Yucatan but was short on time. Seeing the Cenotes (perhaps diving one) and Chetumal were high on my list for Mexico but I just didn't have time.

Looks like a similar route you have traveled through CA as I did....

:beer:

We drove on the west coast of Mexico form Los Mochis to a little further south of Puerto Vallarta and then we headed inland (did not want to miss the city of Tequila :) ).

After a couple of months inland enjoying the wonders of colonial Mexico and Oaxaca we drove to the Oaxacan coast and enjoyed the Oaxaca coast (including a disturbing nude beach) as well as the coast of Chiapas.

We loved the cenotes in the Yucatan, but the peninsula is thoroughly overdeveloped. All in all Mexico was amazing. Well worth a whole year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have been house sitting in the highlands of Panama for one month. Beautiful area and not as hot as the lowlands and the coast.

We had our sixth flat of the trip, this time the tire is gone. Not repairable. It turns out 33x10.5x15 BFG's (or any other brand) are impossible to find in Panama. Get this: the ONLY BFG dealer wants $425 US for special order! We will figure something out.

Next week we are moving back into the Landcruiser and hitting the road again. We have not found a definite container partner (shipping to Colombia), so we decided to head back north to Costa Rica or a while...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 34

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles