Lost World Expedition (US-Central-South America)

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Keep the post coming...even if it is just a quick pic and link to your blog so we know it was updated. Something like the "Oasis for your soul" thread here.

I agree with the Food as part of Travel thing...I find that I am willing to try so much more when I am out of country than I will at home.

If you have any time when you pass back through Phoenix, give us some notice so we can meet up. Even if it is just a quick pint somewhere.

I posted this on our Facebook site, but here is the new "tailgate" awning we got this morning from Campinglab ... Fernando just got these smaller awnings in his last shipment. The only bad part is there is no mosquito netting for it yet...
7920_144545302205_62931757205_2510260_6602311_n.jpg

(sorry for photo quality it is from my iPhone)

We have not updated our blog in weeks, it seems like I post here in ExPo and on Facebook most of the time.
After spending a week longer than we expected in the Florida Keys we drove to Miami to visit our old friend Fernando (CampingLab). We spent a couple of days there and got some goodies from Campinglab :D
Our Plan was to head to Savannah Georgia and then back West... we really would like to hit Baja before November. Fernando was heading to Virginia to attend the Roaver Owner's Association of Virginia (ROAV) Mid Atlantic Rally... so we said: "what the hell, we will drive with you!"

Here are a couple of pics, I will start a thread in Land Rover section with all the pics...I will put a link to that thread here soon.
Our view for most of the weekend
7920_151733097205_62931757205_2558908_574863_n.jpg

Their view of us for the week :)
7920_151733072205_62931757205_2558905_6515052_n.jpg

One of my favorite rigs
7920_151733117205_62931757205_2558911_138642_n.jpg

Had a great time Land Rover owners are a cool bunch (even if they did not let us drive our truck on the trails... understandable, it was a Land Rover only event)

Did you take the Blue Ridge Parkway route toward home?

Hey Jack, Thank you so much for the Blue Ridge Parkway Idea. It was a great drive, great camping and beautiful scenery.

We did the Parkway then the Smokey Mountain NP. It has been a few(?) weeks since Virginia and we have been horrible at going online... in fact we have not posted on our website since New Orleans I think :rolleyes:. In fact I seem to post in ExPo more than I do at our own site. We have been posting little snippets on Facebook through our iPhone... It takes a lot of time to park at a coffeeshop and post up.

After the Smokey's we spent a day in Asheville, NC. An awesome city, we felt very comfortable there and there is an awesome campground just outside of the city. Same with Nashville, TN. We love music and it is everywhere there! We spent one night bar-hopping and enjoying incredible free music from extremely talented people trying to make it in a very competitive business. The following night we went to the Grand Ole Opry...

We pulled an all nighter and wound up in eastern Kansas in the middle of a cold spell! 24 degrees, so there was no camping there for us.

We then proceeded to:

• hang out in Denver
  • Visited Proffit's Cruiser's (which was an awesome stop :D )
  • Awesome BLM and National forests back roads and dispersed camping
  • Arches National Park
  • Bryce Canyon National Park
  • we are currently in the very overcrowded and beautiful Zion National Park...
UTAH ROCKS! Really...

I will post pics sometime soon, sorry we are very disorganized at the moment and trying to get ready to finally leave the country:victory:.

We posted a couple of short blurbs on our website in an effort to get caught up... here are a few pics. We are in Sedona, Arizona enjoying our first motel bed in a couple of weeks.... as much as I love our RTT a bed and an endless hot shower is very, very nice :D

4031582288_228e81ed3f.jpg

Arches National Park
4031550316_72bd528bc4.jpg

Bryce Canyon
4031570724_6a83726b84.jpg

The view from one of our campsites
4030805641_7be3a7e3ee.jpg

The site had a nice stack of firewood and a nice ring... dispersed camping is the best stuff on earth
4030806493_82e73a2036.jpg

4031545524_d9e8ee800d.jpg

Grand Canyon on a slightly hazy day
4030830421_997e56f613.jpg

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
very cool and nice to know you are in the area...
I am sure the Overland folks in Prescott are ready to welcome you in and we in Phx would love a chance to say hi if you give us a chance.
How long will you be in the area or have you already passed through?

... we in Phx would love a chance to say hi if you give us a chance.
How long will you be in the area or have you already passed through?

Hey guys. Hope your having fun. If you swing through Phoenix don't be shy and stop on by.

We are indeed having a great time. We actually wound up spending the night in the Overland Journal Shop and did some much needed re-organizing and maintenance.
P1110475.jpg

Scott and Jeremy were great to us and we are very thankful.

Sorry, we did not head to Phoenix. We drove to Joshua Tree NP and we are now in LA enjoying the smog for a day or two while visiting friends and getting ready for heading south of the border after our 3 month loop around the U.S.

Check out the latest post on our website and in the Overland Journal Blog

Hi everyone, it has been a while since I have logged on other than to sell stuff.

We are currently in Mulegé, Baja Sur. This is a beautiful beach town that suffered a great deal of damage a couple of months ago from hurricane Jimena. The locals are very upbeat and some of the expats that live here are contributing quite a bit to the clean up and repairs, other expats have cut their losses and left.

The trip through Baja has been great so far. There are great off road trails (poorly marked) that go just about anywhere.

Check out our website for the latest posts.

Last edited:
The time has come to leave Baja, but we will be posting about Baja for a few more days. Baja really is an amazing place and much safer than the media is leading us to believe. We had an amazing time in a beautiful setting with wonderful people.

For the surfers here in ExPo... please take a few days to visit one of the nicest breaks I have ever seen. San Juanico also known as Scorpion Bay
4157627939_a2d4a88bc0.jpg

The rest are on the road from Scorpion Bay to Mulegé (Pacific to Sea of Cortez)
4174379046_5f984cf4be.jpg

4174380226_d09275b60a.jpg

4174379506_07ae26f9bb.jpg

I just posted our visit to Los Mochis, Sinaloa, Mexico. Western Gateway to the Copper Canyon and home to ExPo member EFUENTES. Ed was a very gracious host who took time off from his busy schedule in order to take very good care of Lacey and myself while we visited Los Mochis. Ed's recommendations and tips will be with us throughout the rest of our visit in Mexico and beyond. Thank you Ed, you are a gentleman and a scholar!

Please check out the post...
At Ed's property... our temporary home
4220369089_e627c84e40.jpg

This guy has two overland vehicles in one with no trailer needed!
4220369383_631969f679.jpg

Cheers!

I just posted our visit to the Copper Canyon. It was outstanding!!! Highly recommended to anyone visiting Mexico and to those still thinking about it. I can't describe how large and amazing this place is, many compare it to the Grand Canyon, but each place has its very own grandiosity and they are incomparable yet equally amazing.
Sadly my pictures suffer from lack of talent and a lot of haze on the days of our visit so please bear with me.
Cheers!

One of the views from Divisadero
4250063340_79c41c0a9f.jpg

A tunnel hand carved into the mountain
4250062660_79cf00f613.jpg

The view down to the town of Urique
4250062214_2a81ae877b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles