Lost City of the Kalahari Expedition

Hi Graham

If you send me your postal address I will send you a DVD of the expedition and then you can copy it and send to the other Portal Members who have shown interest in the States.

I will also send you one of the Lost City Expedition stickers (I am sure I have one left) and some other stickers that we have.

My private email is offroad@iafrica.com

esh

Explorer
Greg,

Thanks for the writeup. Awesomely inspirational stuff!

Graham, I am interested in watching the DVD as well. Will PM you my address.

Cheers!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I have led a number of expeditions and will post the other reports and pics ...These expeditions are what I live for :) and I am pleased to have found this forum as there are very few true adventurers in Africa.

Terrific account Greg, I really enjoyed reading that as well. As for your comment there in bold, I had to laugh at that. Our perceptions are so different here in the US. I suspect the truth is that there are very few adventures native to Africa, but thousands of adventures visiting Africa :)

Please continue contributing your stories and photos as time allows.

Cheers,

Nathan

Hi Nathan

I am 49 and have travelled over 1,500,000 km in Africa and I often meet travellers visiting a place BUT there are very few, I would guess les than 10 folks who organise and embark on expeditions. There are so few rules in Africa and this lends itself to exploration, negotiate with the village chief (yes the villages north of South Africa are still governed by chiefs :) ) and you have permission to explore.

I have heard about 2 things that are next on my list...

1. There is a WW II shipwreck in the swamps up the east coast and I have heard that it is very well preserved BUT very difficult to get to. So this is on the cards once we have done more research.

2. I was contacted about the legend of a sink hole in Botswana where, legend tells that an explorer with a wagon and oxen fell into the hole and could not get out. He lived in the hole for some years eating animals that fell into the hole and drinking water from a spring. He was rescued by bushmen years later and it is said that the sinkhole still has the remains of his wagon. So I want to find it.

I think one needs to differentiate between Expeditions and Adventures. Expeditions are going where no one has gone before - or at least for the last 50/100 years and looking for something, documenting something or exploring something. Adventures mean roughing it but going to places frequented by others.

My five cents worth.

goodwoodweirdo

Adventurer
1. There is a WW II shipwreck in the swamps up the east coast and I have heard that it is very well preserved BUT very difficult to get to. So this is on the cards once we have done more research.

Great story - please keep us posted...

As for the WW2 Shipwreck it must be documented, was it allied or German do you know ?

taco2go

Explorer
This would be great in print too. Great account, and please do keep us updated.
I'd sign up for the DVD- those aerial shots are awesome!

I believe the wreck is British and was "hiding" in the backwater when it got bombed. Once I know more I will let you know.

Joash where did you learn about bakkie and Imvubu - are you originally from SA?

I have found a few more Lost City pics - will scan them and post them.

rdraider

Adventurer
For those of us interested in the dvd:

I would suggest, we send you a blank dvd, according to your specs, so that you are not out $100 on blank dvds.

add me to your list, please.

Greg, all i can say is....:D I'm green with envy.

taco2go

Explorer
Joash where did you learn about bakkie and Imvubu - are you originally from SA?
simply smitten - In med school I did a month rotation there with a South African neurologist who was working in NYC.
Would LOVE to take my family to SA for a visit someday.

Last edited:
I will find out tomorrow what the postage of a DVD will be from South Africa to the States - and see what plan we can make - the problem here is the theft of postal items is crazy so maybe a courier will be better.

Otherwise I might be able to split it into 10 min slots and post on Youtube.

lcsodiver

Adventurer
I too would love to see the DVD, so posting on youtube would be great! But I would sign up for the dvd mailings however we decide that would work. :)

Thanks for the great write up!
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz