Los Angeles -Class Attack Sub(urban), Build / Collected Werks topic - '02 k1500 Z71

Phreak480

Army Guy
next 'project' project is getting a 4'x8' sheet of 3/8" or 1/2" HDPE in black as the final version of my roof rack deck. Hopefully by July 4 weekend. My MkIII one-piece plywood design is doing what I want in terms of fit and function. So time to execute it once more in a better, more weather-resistant product.

Can you recommend a good source for the HDPE sheet that doesn't completely kill you on shipping, or did you find a local source in which case I'm on my won finding one out here in NY?

Been following your build for quite a while and stealing ideas I can reuse in other vehicles.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Cool. I found a distributor / source down in L.A., I can drive down there and pick it up. I agree about the shipping, basically doubles the cost. And it's cheaper by the whole sheet, than trying to economize and having a whole sheet cut down in size. And since it's a Suburban, I can shove a whole 4'x8' sheet in the back and close the hatch ;)

Phreak480

Army Guy
Cool. I found a distributor / source down in L.A., I can drive down there and pick it up. I agree about the shipping, basically doubles the cost. And it's cheaper by the whole sheet, than trying to economize and having a whole sheet cut down in size. And since it's a Suburban, I can shove a whole 4'x8' sheet in the back and close the hatch ;)

Yeah I need most of a whole sheet. Designing some in bed storage for my pickup so it needs to be 8ft long and then cut 2 pieces about 20" wide that will be vertical next to each wheel well. Those will contain all my various tools and such on the sides of the bed and leave the whole center wide open to still accept 4x8 sheet goods on a regular basis. The bed cover I have is 99.5% weather proof but I really would rather avoid using wood in the bed for that .5% chance. Also HDPE will be kind to all the stuff i load in and out of the bed and hold up well too. I probably need to do a build thread at some point. Just recently DIY'd some cargo rails down both bed sides and across the front.

---EDIT---
Started a thread, link in my signature.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Interesting idea. And it should hold up well. I was thinking to try and get away with 3/8" for $150 / sheet (plain HDPE) but am likely going to bump up to 1/2" for $200/sheet.
Just worried a long hot summer is going to make it droop. The hottest I've measured with an IR gun is ~146F IIRC and that is significatly below the melt point for HDPE so I am hoping it holds up. OAL is 84", bolted to three crossbraces. rear about 10" in, front about 12", middle brace splits the difference. So about 30" spans in the middle portions. And my rooftop solar covers the rear main section between braces. And I intend to add a second fixed panel forward of the first, so much of the shade deck will itself be shaded by solar panels. So I hope to 'get away with' HPDE and never have to mess with re-doing the deck again. MkIV and done.

Got my last parts for my rear axle bearing and seals and oil change. Probably do that work a week from now, after a trailering run upstate. Not entirely sure the parts will fit and don't want to start the project now when I'm trailering on Tuesday. There's 8.5", 8.6, 9"soemthing ring gears and different axle housings and some commonalities and no online catalog gave me full confidence. So I made a best guess and am hoping things are right. Won't know until things are disassembled.

And I got my new CV axle. Got a boot tore up and slung in my original as a stopgap to stop the slinging of CV grease everywhere. I'd kept one of my originals as a spare, when I'd put the new axles in last year(?) After looking at repair and replacement boots, the tools needed etc, the hassle, the $30 premium for a whole new axle was the far easier and cheaper thing to do. So it's in hand and probably going on this evening after the heat breaks.

SilverJeep

I haven’t read the whole thread to see if there is more information about the AC issue but take a look at the rear lines over the rear tire. They tend to rot out up there.

tbisaacs

Adventurer
Interesting idea. And it should hold up well. I was thinking to try and get away with 3/8" for $150 / sheet (plain HDPE) but am likely going to bump up to 1/2" for $200/sheet.
Just worried a long hot summer is going to make it droop. The hottest I've measured with an IR gun is ~146F IIRC and that is significatly below the melt point for HDPE so I am hoping it holds up. OAL is 84", bolted to three crossbraces. rear about 10" in, front about 12", middle brace splits the difference. So about 30" spans in the middle portions. And my rooftop solar covers the rear main section between braces. And I intend to add a second fixed panel forward of the first, so much of the shade deck will itself be shaded by solar panels. So I hope to 'get away with' HPDE and never have to mess with re-doing the deck again. MkIV and done.

Got my last parts for my rear axle bearing and seals and oil change. Probably do that work a week from now, after a trailering run upstate. Not entirely sure the parts will fit and don't want to start the project now when I'm trailering on Tuesday. There's 8.5", 8.6, 9"soemthing ring gears and different axle housings and some commonalities and no online catalog gave me full confidence. So I made a best guess and am hoping things are right. Won't know until things are disassembled.

And I got my new CV axle. Got a boot tore up and slung in my original as a stopgap to stop the slinging of CV grease everywhere. I'd kept one of my originals as a spare, when I'd put the new axles in last year(?) After looking at repair and replacement boots, the tools needed etc, the hassle, the $30 premium for a whole new axle was the far easier and cheaper thing to do. So it's in hand and probably going on this evening after the heat breaks.

Anyone heard from rayra? His last activity was over a year ago.

b58f3599e03ce0086e9e1f10d76cdac9.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbisaacs

Adventurer
Ive wondered the same! I've even messaged him to no answer

According to Tapatalk his last few posts were debating COVID hospitalization rates in his state. I’ve seen too many sad stories that ended this way.

I hope I’m making a big incorrect assumption and Rayra is out there enjoying his retirement somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thebmrust

One of his last posts was indicating a challenge to the mods (naming one in particular) and they were listing their LA home headed to Vegas.

There is a lot of wheeling in those red rocks around Vegas.

Overlandtowater

Pretty :poop:y if they banned him for covid posts....if so did everybody that posted on that thread get the boot too? @rayra is a wealth of information on the gmt800 and personally its BS if they did. @dindyjerret can you shed some light? I think what we are wondering is maybe he hot sick and kicked the bucket or if was banned.

Last edited:

jgaz

Adventurer
@rayra is alive and living in Nevada after his long talked about ”escape” from CA.
He visits Garage Journal somewhat regularly.

His last post on that site:

I agree with the above sentiment that yes he could be crotchety, abrasive, or whatever.
Myself, I was willing to look past those personality traits and learn from his well documented posts.

I hope he just decided to move on and wasn’t permanently banned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94