Los Angeles -Class Attack Sub(urban), Build / Collected Werks topic - '02 k1500 Z71

rayra

Expedition Leader
Flickr, IMGUR both seem to work fine, but only going forward wtih new images. Replacing all these older images will be a nightmare to reconstruct as Flickr, IMGUR both completely change your filenames into scrambled gibberish. So once I re-upload 1000+ vehicle-related images, I'd have to look at the original post, original image link, find the filename, find that fie on my own hard drive to look at the image and then scroll thur a 1000 images to find the same picture in the new host and then swap the links. Got a migraine just doing ~60 pictures in that model build topic.

I have to find a hosting method that will let me keep my existing file names - at the very least as a prefix - so I can readily find the images again. THinking about hanging a USB on my home router and putting it in the 'DMZ' so it's accessible read-only over the internet, but might have some ISP bandwidth / total usage issues. $135/yr I could create my own domain and site with unlimited bandwidth and storage space and do whatever the hell I want with it. Trying ot find another image host I can use. I'm also owner / admin of a discussion forum that already has unlimited bandwidth / storage, I could squirrel them there right away, short term. But relocating the image directory anywhere else would break things all over again. So I'm taking the time to figure a solution that I don't have to change yet again.
I've recouped the images from Photobucket and have been creating a duplicate directory structure of the hosted images. And even breaking down some into more defined categories. And when I find new space I hope to just plonk it all down there in one big move and then go re-sow all the new links. There's at least 1500++ images I need to replace, out of 14yrs / 3700 images. That's just to replace my own how-to / build topics all over the place.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Hah! (mostly) Fixed!

Had to resurrect an old domain and arrange some hosting, but now I'm hosting my own images. One topic repaired, dozens to go.

/**** Photobucket!

rayra

Expedition Leader
In the on-deck circle for this bus, a New & Improved transmission cooler. Got to give this aging 4L60E trans every bit of support I can.

attachment.php

I've been reading good reivews of the Tru-Cool series of coolers. And the Max LPD47391 47391 Low Pressure Drop Transmission Oil Cooler for this series of vehicle. It has roughly 4x the surface area of the factory external cooler.
There is also a version that has some sort of thermal restriction which prevents cooling until operating temp is achieved. I guess for cold climates. It costs about $30. I don't have those conditions to worry about and wouldn't want the extra complication anyway.
Amazon stocks the 'normal' version for ~$133, sometimes they bounce the price down 15-20% if you keep it on you rwish list long enough.
https://www.amazon.com/Tru-Cool-LPD...391+Low+Pressure+Drop+Transmission+Oil+Cooler

And it's on ebay for $111

This vid is light on details btu has a couple good tips for this series of GM trucks / suvs. Chiefly to cut and flip the inlet fitting 180deg to move it further to the passenger side of the radiator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2jBZzQZSx4

Should be an easy project, given that my factory tow package already has a small external cooler. Basically just a swap / adapt.

/and I have to remember to get some radiator paint.

Yes they make a thermostat that use the same principle as a standard automotive thermostat. It bypass the cooler until trans fluid reaches 180 degrees. Not necessarily for colder climates. Auto trans shift valve circuit are designed for an optimal 180 degrees. Using a thermostat will allow for quicker transmission warm up.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Here's an ok vid on doing a cooler install, for those that don't already have a factory cooler. I think his holes in the plastic panel where he routed the rubber lines were too small, likely to rub thru the hose. Bigger holes / more clearance or better routing would be better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXnIEPt2A-0

rayra

Expedition Leader
report from another thread, about design ideas for roof-mounting a solar panel setup

I think I'm finally lined up to a lay hands on a folding panel kit this coming weekend and have already dismounted my roof deck to fashion the MkII. Over the next few weeks I think I'm going to fashion a flat roof mount where the forward edge of the panel slots into a piece of channel on my roof deck and the rearmost edge gets locked down with a similar channel that's fastened with something like a flush-style hood lock (the kind with the round barrel key). Locked on when mounted, and wired to my power setup for constant power. And positioned towards the rear of the roof so I just stand on the rear bumper, turn a couple hood locks and the panel comes free and I can position in on the ground on a either a short or long lead, as desired. So I can park my huge black bus in some tree shade or under my awnings.

Maybe I can make the mount on the roof deck like a sort of picture frame, so the panel sits down inside it, it's sides all covered from wind or probing fingers. And have the locks added to the panel array as an extension on the panels themselves, and with some foam rubber footings under the panel so the panel doesn't rattle around. Just put it up there, slot the front edge into the mount slot, press it down into the rubber / closed cell foam as the locks are engaged. From the ground all anyone sees is the black perimeter frame, if they even notice that.
Have to think about that some more. Wind forces, uplift, the speeds I drive. The tiny roll pins in those hood locks probably aren't sufficient. So maybe a hinged piece of angle metal as the rear retainer lap, with the lock setup built into that. Flop it open, insert the panel, fold it up and over the rear edge of the panels, press down while engaging the locks. I think that will work well.

I could even cover the panels with a sheet of lexan and not worry about using the automated car wash.

And use 'security' screws to mount the framework to the deck

rayra

Expedition Leader
Transmission cooler arrived late tonight, after 2030 via UPS, days earlier than expected. But not in time for my trip tomorrow, in the heat. But that's ok, this weekend's driving can establish a good baseline for factory cooler trans temps. I'll try and capture them as I go.

Nice piece of hardware. Came with 4' of hose and a bag of miscellaneous parts and pairs of barbed couplings in three different thread sizes. And a lot of bracket straps and screws / nuts. Nice universal mounting kit.

transcooler04.jpg
transcooler05.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
Driving across inland SoCal yesterday afternoon / evening, some moderately high temps and the reason I think I need the trans cooler upgrade. This was essentially unburdened. Just myself and a couple hundred pounds of tools and materials in the Sub. Outside temp 104F, relatively flat 215 fwy between Menifee and Perris, about 75mph

transcooler06.jpg

And then a couple hours later, after sunset, traversing from the 15 to the 138, in antelope valley, heading for Palmdale, after heading up part of the Conejo Grade.

transcooler07.jpg
transcooler08.jpg

The new cooler ought to be good for something between 20-40F reduction in trans temp. Probably the lower end of that range, already having a factory external cooler, but it's small and positioned poorly. The new cooler is about 4x the area and I'll be striving to position it for best effect.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Yes, eta PANLONG brand, but there's a lot of identical translucent blue plastic versions on Amazon under different brand names. Mostly around $14-20. And I'm using the $5 version of Torque on an old Android tablet. Had to upgrade to the paid version to unlock the features that let me reach the existing trans temp data. Likewise the dongle branded for Android use.

My transmission cooler install should happen later this week, if I can beat the heat. Hard a hard / long weekend out of town replacing a water heater and remediating some mold damage and grouting a slate patio

eta also another preview of coming attractions -

This is the panel I'm going to create a roof rack deck flat mount for. The panel will nestle into a lockable metal frame and be tied into my Aux power setup so it works as a trickle charger all the time, will keep that setup fully charged all the time. And when camped / bugged out, the panel can be more properly deployed for much better efficiency or even ground deployed at a short distance from the vehicle, so the vehicle can be shaded or concealed (awning project ;) ) while the panel is out in the direct sun.

solarportable01.jpg

Last edited:

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Rayra,

Thanks for the links on the trans cooler. I went through the long link you posted and a couple of others, and it really helped me understand what I might see for my factory set-up tow package. After looking at the videos, I re-checked my Av (2001) and it turns out hat I have a fairly large trans cooler, not the small ones I saw on the videos. It looks to be as large as the one you purchased. So I am not sure whether my factory tow package has a larger one (as seen in the videos) or the PO installed a larger one. Mine covers a great deal of the radiator (coolant). Thinking I may not need to upgrade.

When I had my trailer on the last and first haul to the ranch with my new trailer, I was seeing about 210 degrees on the trans. I too was using the torque app. My trailer is close to 3000 pounds, and I have to climb a fairly steep mountain grade from about 6000' to about 9000. All in all, I do not think that was too bad, although I am a bit new to this trans temp monitoring. I picked up one of the somewhat dated Garmin Monterra's last year, which is an android based unit. This lets me run the Torque trans temp app on the same device I can run my mapping. If you have not checked it out, there is a widget that you can run with Torque, so you do not have to have the entire torq app up front on the display. I set up the widget for the trans temp. You have a bigger screen than me, so you might find the widget kinda useful.

Looks like you are going to have fun with the solar. I have my system somewhat in place now, being on my second year. But I find that all of the vehicle mods are somewhat stressful, the suspension, springs air bags, etc. Solar for me is just pure fun. It has to be much more fun than all of the wrenching and hammering that you seem to be doing for friends/family. I'll be doing a long trip this weekend for the holiday, so I will really be able to air out my batteries, so to speak. And the new awning, and fold out bed for two.

Thanks again for the links, and have fun with the solar. Looking forward to seeing your rendition.....

Craig

rayra

Expedition Leader
Thx and thx for the tip about the widget, I'll look into that as I'm currently fumbling between screens / apps. And this is the only Android device I mess with some I'm not really conversant.

Sounds to me like you almost certainly have an aftermarket cooler. Both our '02 Sub and '05 Tahoe (both Z-71, Tow package, k1500s) have the same smallish cooler, roughly 11"W x 4-5"H, with the top half firmly behind the grill bowtie. Looking at factory replacements online should tell that tale.
I hope to position the new cooler a little lower, more exposed to direct wind flow. Tomorrow morning I'm popping the grill to try that out and the verify the existing pipe diameter to buy some matching compression couplings.

This was Saturday in 100F temps, about a 12hr evolution to remove the leaking water heater, assess the mess, remediate the moldy drywall and insulation and repeatedly slather the framing with a black mold -killing bleach-vinegar solution and get the new water heater installed and operational.

waterheater01.jpg
waterheater02.jpg
waterheater03.jpg
waterheater04.jpg

Then it was 7am-1pm the next day grouting a slate patio again in high heat, trying to move a patio umbrella around for shade as I went, before doubling back to finish all the details on the water heater. Then it was visiting Stryder on the way home to pick up the solar panel and visit another friend to pick up another ammo hoard, didn't get home until late last night and I'm lamed about 4 ways.
I hope to get to the cooler install this week, but maybe not. Supposed to be 110F+ here all week. 'But it's a dry heat'.

Bear in NM

Adventurer
I just went out and looked at mine again, and it is almost the full width of the main radiator, from the small vertical cooler on the right, to within an inch of the left/passenger side of the radiator. It goes below the lower horizontal member to where I cannot see from the grill. I guess this is why I was originally questioning whether I even had one, as you really have to look to see the main radiator. I was questioning whether I even had a trans cooler.

This is good I think, not only from the cooling perspective, but in trying to assess how the Av had been maintained and used the PO's. As it came with a brake controller, I knew it was used to tow. The engine bay is clean enough to eat off of. The paint condition tells me it was garaged. If the PO installed a large trans cooler, hopefully this means he did not thrash on the tranny.

Wow, that water heater was a mess. It sure looks a lot better. And it has been hot here, but I have not been complaining. Been following the mess in Texas, and was actually hoping the high pressure over the west would have moved, as the high pressure area over our locales has been contributing to the slow movement of Harvey. We are not seeing a drop of moisture from the storm here in NM, which is rare for hurricanes that move in from the Gulf.

Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior