Looking to raise a 2004 Chevy Express 3500 Roadtrek Popular 190

Stevemo

Thank you for the response, good to hear it worked out as the full lift seemed a bit aggressive for a camper. I was quite happy with the swaybar I added too. If you find yourself pulling the parts off before resale please drop me a line.
Cheers, Steve

Stevemo

I have ordered a Weldtec Designs lift as they have a sale on. 5" up front and 4" blocks in the back as they felt that taller blocks could lead to problems.
I'm unsure about when I will install the kit. The first thing I need to do is find some frame stands tall enough to let me bring the lower control arms straight down and still have space for a floor jack. Plan B would be to dig holes in the driveway for the jack.

speedyone

I have ordered a Weldtec Designs lift as they have a sale on. 5" up front and 4" blocks in the back as they felt that taller blocks could lead to problems.
I'm unsure about when I will install the kit. The first thing I need to do is find some frame stands tall enough to let me bring the lower control arms straight down and still have space for a floor jack. Plan B would be to dig holes in the driveway for the jack.

I just installed the same lift from Weldtec on my 2016 Chevy Express. Standard jack stands on the frame were tall enough. I used two jacks to get the lower control arm reinstalled. There is just enough room on the outer lip of the control arm to start getting it into position (watch that you don't pinch the ball joint boot). You only need to move it a couple inches then you can position the other jack underneath the control arm to do the heavy lifting. Doing this is a two man job. Also be very careful there is a ton of pressure on those coils especially when the coil spacer is installed. Now that I have done one in my driveway I would not hesitate to do it again. Make sure to watch Weldtec's videos on Youtube regarding the install he explains it all really well. Hope this helps

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Please post pics when you're done!

A couple of Roadtrek's have caught my eye lately, but one of the things that always keeps me from pulling the trigger is how low they are. Trying to guess whether it'd be easier to pull some of the lower skirts off a RT, or start with a plainer high-top van and try to replicate some of the RT interior stuff.

(I don't need or want the black tank, etc. - so a lot of that could go.)

Stevemo

Good to know about having two jacks available. Did you put gaiters on the shocks?

I think my kit shipped on Monday but I haven't been watching the tracking. I will definitely be doing videos when I get around to doing the job but it isn't scheduled yet...hopefully within 30 days. You can subscribe to my channel and eventually the videos will pop up. https://www.youtube.com/user/SteveRivett/videos?disable_polymer=true

Removing the bins on a Roadtrek would immensely devalue it and leave it looking totally ridiculous. I think you would be better off purchasing the right van for you and sending it to a body builder / outfitter to finish to your liking. I have not been able to find a salvage yard network that adequately identifies conversion vans...that would be another way to find parts if you wanted to DIY.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Please post pics when you're done!

A couple of Roadtrek's have caught my eye lately, but one of the things that always keeps me from pulling the trigger is how low they are. Trying to guess whether it'd be easier to pull some of the lower skirts off a RT, or start with a plainer high-top van and try to replicate some of the RT interior stuff.

(I don't need or want the black tank, etc. - so a lot of that could go.)

Here’s a Roadtrek with some decent looking ground clearance:

89F0E6C6-6709-4D05-938E-4E90CE3BBA0F.jpeg

osinrider04

Observer
Has anyone regeared their Roadtrek after adding a lift and bigger tires? Mine came with 4.10s from the factory, but doing Weldtec's 5" lift with 33s sounds like gearing would be needed.

osinrider04

Observer

Hey Stevemo - I watched some of your videos on youtube and had a question for you. Why didn't you go with the progressive rear leaf pack when you did the 5" lift?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles