Looking to design the ultimate SUV Sleep-in-Vehicle setup

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
I think this is very interesting concept. As an ex-Wilderness SAR member I have sleep full nights or cat naps in my Jeep Grand Cherokee many and many of times. At 5'6", I could sleep inside with rear latched closed, but this concept allowing underneath storage (convenience) and extra pull-out and drive away table, offers a lot of flexibility and comfort for taller people. I especially likerd Config-C.

I think there is a market for a real quick and easy sleeping set up for people who want to use their vehicles, but as mentioned by NatersXJ6, cost will be a factor as most of these people are looking to get into outdoors as inexpensive as possible. However, I think they will sell and I would be very interested.

One isue I found sleeping in Jeep was bugs and heat/himidity. Cold was easy with nice sleeping bag, but here in Southeast with bugs/humidity/rains abilty to have waterproof closure and/or screen/net would be really nice as well as screen/net for sunroof.

Has anyone figure out how to have a/c and heat in SUV for sleeping or waiting out storms without having vehicle running?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I see your point about crowd funding as a market survey tool. That certainly makes sense to me, and it seems to be the way of the modern world. Elon Musk and his flamethrowers come to mind... However, as a customer, I'm not giving out my hard-earned cash to someone that I don't know to fund development of a product when I have no say in the design compromise decisions.

I'm thinking that 37" is your target width? I can't remember exactly, but I think that the sliding platform I made for my JKU came out really close to those dimensions. It might be 32 deep, but the useable depth is somewhat compromised due to the slope of the rear seat, so there is a gap at the back of platform/ front of vehicle if you put anything tall on it. I almost made a mistake in not considering the depth that the door latch protrudes into the space. It is a difficult compromise, trying to match "most" vehicles means you won't truly fit "any" vehicle, but there isn't enough market in any specific vehicle to design only for that unless you have some radically flexible manufacturing process and make to order.

One suggestion I have, if you haven't already considered it, is to evaluate the dept of your storage containers against a few common camping gear items. For instance, if you came up 1/4" too short to hold green propane bottles laying down, you would quickly find the dark side of crowd sourced marketing. Giving up an inch above the equipment to ensure adequate space below might be well worth it.

Either way, it looks like a fun project, enjoy!

Hummelator

Adventurer
Interesting concept.
For me however, the idea of sleeping inside the vehicle only interests me for the security of the hard walls. If you are hanging out the hatch with fabric creating the weather barrier you might as well be in a roof top tent.
That said, I love seeing new designs for different applications and I hope this comes to fruition. I doubt I would ever purchase a product like this but I'm sure there will be many who will.
Good luck!

mellotango

I think this is very interesting concept. As an ex-Wilderness SAR member I have sleep full nights or cat naps in my Jeep Grand Cherokee many and many of times. At 5'6", I could sleep inside with rear latched closed, but this concept allowing underneath storage (convenience) and extra pull-out and drive away table, offers a lot of flexibility and comfort for taller people. I especially likerd Config-C.

I think there is a market for a real quick and easy sleeping set up for people who want to use their vehicles, but as mentioned by NatersXJ6, cost will be a factor as most of these people are looking to get into outdoors as inexpensive as possible. However, I think they will sell and I would be very interested.

One isue I found sleeping in Jeep was bugs and heat/himidity. Cold was easy with nice sleeping bag, but here in Southeast with bugs/humidity/rains abilty to have waterproof closure and/or screen/net would be really nice as well as screen/net for sunroof.

Has anyone figure out how to have a/c and heat in SUV for sleeping or waiting out storms without having vehicle running?

Hi 68Camero. Thanks much for your words of encouragement. It means a lot to us, to me especially.. and to know our work might make a small difference to outdoor enthusiasts out there. But then again, this is not about me... but whether Mobicamp can actually help seasoned adventurers or normal folks who might have never considered getting outside, and to do that more easily and affordably at the same time.

I'm not an expert on camper RV electronics or plumming systems. But I have thought dog kennel air conditioners might make a good and compact option for our typical sleeping quarters size. Now we just have to ask other experts here how to power them up...

Last edited:

mellotango

Hi Friends,

It been a while since I posted anything in this forum. Where I left off, I mentioned I was in the midst of launching an idea I had about a mini camper design, specifically for Suvs (now also working on adapting the design for trucks fitted with caps).

The new version of our website is finally ready now. But... a few things to note. You will see all images are still in rendered form as we don’t have a working prototype yet. They are only meant to demonstrate how Mobicamp works in theory. But at the same time, we also inviting early supporters to place pre-orders through our cart system at our ‘idea concept’ stage (with maximum perks). I have mentioned before that our goal is to obtain a satisfactory validation for Mobicamp through pre-orders before embarking on the huge and challenging task of making the various Mobicamp model prototypes. That would indeed be a great moral booster. And it would put our minds to ease about the various factors we are still unsure about with regards to its suitability in the US market.

I’d love to know everyone’s thoughts on our new website, honest opinions about our project and any advice on how we can improve.
If possible, and if you are familiar, I'd also appreciate to know how we might compare with the swissroombox (now ceased) high-end car camper. :)

To get you a head start on our website, here are some recommended links:

HOME PAGE - https://www.mobicamp.net/
LIST OF BENEFITS - https://www.mobicamp.net/products/benefits/
FAQ - https://www.mobicamp.net/products/faq/

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

Saint Nick

Just had a look at the website, and as others have said, interesting concept. I think it will be interesting to follow your progress. Good luck.

SN

mellotango

Hi all,

I've just added an article that glosses over the evolution of my camper design over the years. How I started, and the various changes I painstakingly made to my camper design in order to suit my outdoor preferences. Mobicamp was conceived in another part of the world, so it will be interesting to see if the ideal setup we are all looking for have any type of similarities. Hope it makes for a light-hearted and interesting read!

View this article at -> https://www.mobicamp.net/about-us/our-story/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online