Looking to convert MB 1019 AF. Need help! :)

AquaTruck

Hello, we are new here on this forum.
Pension is around the corner and we are planning to leave our home and live between our truck and sailing boat.
We want to travel the world again.

Currently, me and my wife are looking to convert a Mercedes 1019AF (longer cabin) with the OM 401.1 engine.
VIN 38018314937586. She is built in 1982.
We did not buy her just jet but we are almost sure!

We also had a test drive in a 1017AF. The turbo and straight 6 makes a lot more noise and makes the engine
more complicated. We rather have some more power and fewer parts that can break. The OM 401.1 in the
1019AF is a V6 and makes it sound a lot better and easier on the ears. We also want to go for the
bigger wheels R385 x 22.5. For more off-road capabilities and top speed.

Our most important question right now is about the axles. We have been reading up on the subject but we
are not sure what axles are currently under the truck. The seller has told us it will go just above 80 kmph (with
standard smaller wheels). We want “faster” axles and would prefer a top speed around 105 kmph (with the bigger wheels)
so that we can reach the cruising speed of 90 kmph a lot easier and with lower rpm. I believe the 1019AF has exactly
the same axles under the 1017AF and think that Cloud9 (Niel) on this forum might be able to help us out with the correct
part numbers and a better understanding of how this works. I wouldn't say I'm a mechanic and never really worked
on big trucks but I’d say I can do about 50% of the work myself. It all sounds pretty familiar but just bigger and heavier ;)

If anyone knows a good address for (second hand) axles and/or parts in Germany or the Netherlands, please let us know.
If more information is needed about the truck, please let us know. I have pictures of pretty much every angle
of the 1019AF we are currently looking to buy. I really hope this forum can help us out because its appears to be more
difficult to find parts and information about such an old truck these days even though there are plenty for sale.
I hope I've just been looking in the wrong place haha.

Thank you all in advance!

P.S, we are going to Willys treffen in Germany at the end of this month!

Have you obtained the data card from the EPC? Your VIN is missing 3 letter/numbers from the front, the first ones are WD.
I’m not sure anything can be simpler than an OM352 or 366. What size tires came on it? 11R22.5 are the same diameter as 385s. If it has 11s and you want bigger size you want 425 or even 445s. Corint Reifen is a good source, also Vrakking in Netherlands.

AquaTruck

Thanks for the fast reply!

I thought the VIN was the one on the chassis. I have a picture. (posted below)
I thought the EPC meant Electronic Parts Catalog but I guess that's totally something else?
The wheels that are on there now are 9R22.5
Vrakking in the Netherlands is a great source! Thanks for that.
So how do I get the EPC info? How do you read it? Is there an article or forum post about it?

chassisvin.jpg

Attachments

• P1580030.JPG
    P1580030.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 5

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Contact Fabian Heidtmann

Beyond wheels, he has a lot of experience with these beasts. Call or e-mail, his website is pretty much dead.

Also get in touch with Erik Smetsers. His main website seems to have gone away, but he is a great source of info, if backed up for about two years the last time we chatted. He is also on Facebook, look under his name or Adventure Trucks.

Erik Smetsers
Adventure Trucks BV
Pleinsedijk 4
5271SZ Sint-Michielsgestel
The Netherlands

Tel: +31 (0) 6-1555 1782

Last edited:
EPC is electronic parts catalog
Try putting “WDB” or “WD7” in front of the 14 digit number
385s are about 10% taller than the 9R22.5s. But you will need single ~11.75” reversible rims to get the tracks about equal.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Atkins Vos in the UK has access to the needed parts to upgrade to a faster axle (ring and pinion). Estimate was about $4,500 USD for just the parts (this was for our 1120 AF, we have the second fastest ratio and would only be a few MPH gain to the faster one). If the truck you are looking at tops out at 80kpm it does not sound like it has one of the faster axles. I think Cloud9 was an ex-military truck (1017A) so had the slower axles.

There is a German forum for LN2 trucks, the members seem to be pretty knowledgeable and helpful, https://ln2-forum.de/index.php.

And here is a MB truck owner that has assembled a European truck wrecking yard website http://www.nomadic-one.com/reflect/truck-junk-yards-europe

Not sure if Fabian has the 10 bolt rims, we got ours from him (8 bolt for the LN2) and they are built to be reversible.

Neil

Observer
My truck "cloud9" was ex military and had the slower axles.

However, I had the diffs upgraded to the fast ones and although expensive , I consider it to be one of the best modifications I DoD.

I do not notice the slight difference in the lower gears.

Cruising on a highway is now far more pleasant.

The truck will sit happily at 90kph and the noise level is really good.

However, it is rare that we do this, I am much happier at 80 to 85 kph. The truck feels comfortable , revs at about 2100 rpm and noise level is really good.

We don't have a radio in the cab but listen to music from the phones speaker alone so this illustrates the calmness of it all.

When I got the truck, the top speed was important. Having been on the road for a couple of years, the top speed is now far less important and has been superseded by the relaxed feeling that low noise and low revs brings. We are however lucky that we are never in a rush to get anywhere.

My view is you will not regret getting fast axles.

I use 385 65 x 22.5 Bridgestone tyres that are also low noise.

Neil

AquaTruck

DiploStrat, thanks for the addresses! I'll definitely look into them.

Charlieaarons, I need to get my head around those wheel and rim sizes. I do not completely understand them yet. Thanks for the info.

VerMonsterRV, I'm in the process of making an account on the LN2 forum. Looks like a great source!

Neil, thanks for your opinion!

We would start with smaller trips. We think that we would like to be able to keep up with the trucks on the European highway. I've been told that's 87 kmph on average. And about the top speed, just knowing we have it would be a nice luxury. Did any of you do any special sound insulation? Or do you have tips for that?

Low noise bigger tyres are something we will need anyway so that will be a good start. I just have to look at all the options, local supply and make a choice.

There is so much information to take in! I now realise there is much more to it than I originally thought. We looked at some more trucks and had a test drive in an 1120 AF LA (LA water-cooled turbo changer) with the OM 366 engine. Its is faster than the 1019, it has ABS and is more quiet. I have been told that the fuel consumption should be similar. 20 liter / 100 km. Also more expensive. We found one with the faster axles already equipped. Apparently all the swiss 1120 AF versions had double pedal controls on the passenger side AND faster axles. This makes the truck more wanted so a bit more expensive. Seller is asking 26,.000 euro without taxes.

This forum makes the start of this adventure a lot better! Sorry for my delayed reaction. Too much information to process.

Sitec

Adventurer
This forum is a mountain of info and ideas! Love it! Welcome aboard! I'm putting off the cost of fast axles and the work involved... Doing the build first, then I'll have something of value, where I'll have to do something re top speed!!! :) However... I'm going to try something different.... Look up something called a 'Joey Box' or Joey Gearbox'. Thinking of sitting one between my gearbox and transfer box.

Link_cat

You finally got the correct vin number? is also on the card!

I've the mercedes EPC if you need I can take the full datacard.

best

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles