Looking to buy my first motorcycle, need opinons. *Finally bought one

JeepMI

Observer
So, after really trying to get out and adventure for the past 2 years of me being in college and living on my own I have found that it is very difficult to scrape up the money to take my Jeep on a proper adventure, with gas being so much and the risk of breaking things being so high. So, with my tax return this year I plan to buy myself a motorcycle, possibly a dual sport, so that I can actually afford to get out and explore. My budget is $1500-1700 max, so my options are limited. The bike will be used to commute to and from work/school (10 miles of 40 MPH roads) and of course the occasional adventure which would include 55 MPH roads, and if I can get my hands on a dual sport then I will be forced to throw some trails into the mix :bike_rider:

Any way, there are four specific bikes I have my eye on:

One is a '95 TW200, 3200 miles, only problem is that the end of the clutch lever is broken off but it still works fine. I love how these TW200's look, and they would be a blast on the trail but I'm concerned with the reliability of an 18 year old bike that has done some sitting judging by the miles. http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/3619668997.html

Another bike is a mint condition '75 CB125, 11k miles, looks and runs absolutely perfect. Needs tires soon though. I really like the way the smaller 70's Honda's look, but obviously offroading will not be possible.
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/3638304403.html

Next, a CB350 that I don't know much about, but I have heard good things about the CB350 and this one looks nice.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/3627300547.html

Last bike is a '90 XT 350 that looks pretty nice, but I can't seem to find much information on these bikes. It's at the end of my price range but I may be able to talk him down.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/mcy/3613451305.html

So anyway, I'm just looking for opinions from people that know about motorcycles :) Any information, opinions, thoughts, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

ih8philly

Adventurer
I own a TW200 and wouldn't want to take it on any extended trips. It just doesn't have the power or stability at speed that, at least for me, makes extended trips bearable. When I bought it the first ride was to get it home from San Diego, about a two hour ride on the freeway. I wouldn't willingly do that again. That being said, its a fun little bike to run around town and it will be very user friendly from both a power and ergonomics perspective. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the age as they are very very simple to work on, haven't changed much over the years, and the factory manual can be found online (although I purchased a Cyclepedia subscription for that bike and it is fantastic).

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Suzuki DR350. Usually can find a nice one for under $1k, will run 65-70mph comfortably depending on gearing and are stupid simple and reliable.

hey there, in my personal opinion I will go for the xt but for a 1990 is a little high in the price, have you consider a klr 250 super sherpa they are little great bikes and hard to brake :bike_rider:

JeepMI

Observer
I own a TW200 and wouldn't want to take it on any extended trips. It just doesn't have the power or stability at speed that, at least for me, makes extended trips bearable. When I bought it the first ride was to get it home from San Diego, about a two hour ride on the freeway. I wouldn't willingly do that again. That being said, its a fun little bike to run around town and it will be very user friendly from both a power and ergonomics perspective. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the age as they are very very simple to work on, haven't changed much over the years, and the factory manual can be found online (although I purchased a Cyclepedia subscription for that bike and it is fantastic).

Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. I don't plan on riding the tw200 on the freeway if I buy it as i've heard they top out around 65 and in the Detroit area that's dangerous. I would need 55 MPH out of it at most which I think is doable, no? Good to know about the manual and nothing changing. I also forgot to mention, he said it will need a battery for the electric start to work, but does the lack of battery effect anything else? I don't mind kicking for a while as long as there are no other negatives to having a bad battery.

Suzuki DR350. Usually can find a nice one for under $1k, will run 65-70mph comfortably depending on gearing and are stupid simple and reliable.

Cool, I'll keep an eye out, nothing on craigslist now, is there any other sites besides craigslist that are good for cheaper bikes like this?

hey there, in my personal opinion I will go for the xt but for a 1990 is a little high in the price, have you consider a klr 250 super sherpa they are little great bikes and hard to brake :bike_rider:

That's what I though too, it is a little old and average. Maybe I'll call and talk about the price, he may be flexible. I'll keep an eye out for the KLR though, i'd love a 650 but that's simply out of my price range and the insurance would be higher. I'm loving the insurance quotes on these 200-250cc bikes.

JeepMI

Observer
That CB350 would be a cool cafe project.

Agreed, cafe bikes are really cool. I'm not sure how much I trust a bike that old though which is my only concern.

Also, I ran across another bike, this one is the nicest i've seen so far. However, it's 2 grand and the guy is firm on price. He said no negotiation at all. Nice guy otherwise, and he says the bike is perfect. I can pull together 2k, but it's cutting it really close, are these bikes nice enough and is this a good enough deal to make it worth being broke for a couple weeks? :D The upside is that the bike is in Plymouth, and I live in Plymouth so I would save some money on gas driving around looking for the right bike.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/3557191580.html

desertrover

Adventurer
Whatever you end up getting, don't let the bike cost cut into your gear cost. Figure out what a basic helmet, jacket, pair of pants and boots, and some gloves will cost, and factor that into your bike budget. Pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling and Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycle Handbook too, good reading while looking for your first bike and both good guides to own.

As for bikes, I'd second the DR350 if one turns up, most examples are at least 15 years old now but they're tanks. Don't discount larger bikes either, I picked up my 05 DR650 within that price range. Usually deals to be had on older XR650's as well. The little CB is neat, used to have a '73 SL125 which was basically a CB with a high fender. The engines are bulletproof and easy to work on, need minimal maintaince other than the points (point). The only downside is you have about 12hp, granted I widened my swingarm to fit a slightly wider knobby, but it would barely break 50 in a full tuck on a flat dirt road. The ability to do 70-80, even if its only for short durations with the throttle pinned, often saves alot of time and trouble when you can just hop on the freeway for a few exits instead of filtering through surface streets.

Best of luck bike hunting!
-CJ

JeepMI

Observer
Whatever you end up getting, don't let the bike cost cut into your gear cost. Figure out what a basic helmet, jacket, pair of pants and boots, and some gloves will cost, and factor that into your bike budget. Pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling and Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycle Handbook too, good reading while looking for your first bike and both good guides to own.

As for bikes, I'd second the DR350 if one turns up, most examples are at least 15 years old now but they're tanks. Don't discount larger bikes either, I picked up my 05 DR650 within that price range. Usually deals to be had on older XR650's as well. The little CB is neat, used to have a '73 SL125 which was basically a CB with a high fender. The engines are bulletproof and easy to work on, need minimal maintaince other than the points (point). The only downside is you have about 12hp, granted I widened my swingarm to fit a slightly wider knobby, but it would barely break 50 in a full tuck on a flat dirt road. The ability to do 70-80, even if its only for short durations with the throttle pinned, often saves alot of time and trouble when you can just hop on the freeway for a few exits instead of filtering through surface streets.

Best of luck bike hunting!
-CJ

That's a good point. As much as I'd love to pick up that xt225 because it's so new, I wouldn't be able to afford the gear right away, and I don't want to risk riding without.

I do really like the idea of the CB125, it would keep a lot of money in my pocket, and would still be fun to go ride. Sort of a bummer that I can't hit any trails in it, but I think I could get over it. Are the miles too high though at 11k? I'd rather not be getting an engine rebuild in the next year or two. Also, what type of gas does a bike that old take?

Thanks a lot guys, keep the opinions coming.

desertrover

Adventurer
As long as the compression is good, it should have plenty of life left in it. A good friend's dad used to ride one 80 miles each way every day to work, 2up with his wife. Throttle pinned needless to say. Sold it after a few years still running fine. Also, who says you can't hit any trails? The close fender and low exhaust means you won't be rock hopping or playing in mud holes, but its a really lightweight bike that will do fine on fire roads and milder trails. These are the bikes most of latin america relies on for transport in areas where their roads are rougher than alot of our "trails".

ih8philly

Adventurer
Agreed, cafe bikes are really cool. I'm not sure how much I trust a bike that old though which is my only concern.

Also, I ran across another bike, this one is the nicest i've seen so far. However, it's 2 grand and the guy is firm on price. He said no negotiation at all. Nice guy otherwise, and he says the bike is perfect. I can pull together 2k, but it's cutting it really close, are these bikes nice enough and is this a good enough deal to make it worth being broke for a couple weeks? :D The upside is that the bike is in Plymouth, and I live in Plymouth so I would save some money on gas driving around looking for the right bike.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/3557191580.html

I would have taken an XT over a TW but my girlfriend loves the TW's fat tire and since its her bike who am I to argue. Regarding that TW, is the battery dead or does it not have one at all? If the battery is dead, you may be able to get away with just putting it on a charger for a little while. The factory charging systems on most bikes isn't very strong and it may just not be up to the task of charging a dead battery.

And I second figuring the gear purchase price. You could easily spend your entire budget on just a good helmet and jacket. Motorcyclegear.com should help you stretch your money as far as possible.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
For the asking price that XT is a good deal. The 225 has a 6 speed transmission and a front disc brake, niether of which the 95 TW would have (TW didn't get a disc brake until about 2000 or 2001.)

Here's the thing about motorcycles on Craigslist which you either already know or will find out soon: The good deals go FAST. Especially once the weather starts warming up. $2k for a 2007 with 1000 miles on it is a great deal for that bike, honestly if it was local to me I'd be tempted, sorely.

Super Sherpas are great bikes. They are also rarer than hen's teeth to find used (i've tried.) You might also consider the Suzuki DR200SE (SE means electric starter) or the KLR 250 (which is not the same thing as the Super Sherpa.) I would stay away from anything more than about 20 years old, unless you are prepared to invest the time/money/energy into keeping it maintained. Also consider that dual sport bikes older than that usually were kick-start only.

As for gear, check out motogearoutlet.com. Great prices on closeout gear. They are local to me but ship all over the world. Don't think you need a $500 helmet and a $800 jacket. You can typically get a Snell-rated full face for right around a hundred bucks and a decent textile jacket with armor for not much more than that. As for boots any decent pair of heavy duty boots that cover your ankle and allow you to manipulate the shifter will be fine (I still wear my old Army combat boots that were issued to me around 1999.) You can spend a lot on gloves but don't think you have to - again, the key is that they protect your hands and allow you to manipulate the controls with ease. Until recently I used to just wear inexpensive Mechanics Gloves that cost me about $15 pair for warm weather and a pair of leather Motorcycle Gauntlets (about $30) for cold weather.

Last edited:

JeepMI

Observer
As long as the compression is good, it should have plenty of life left in it. A good friend's dad used to ride one 80 miles each way every day to work, 2up with his wife. Throttle pinned needless to say. Sold it after a few years still running fine. Also, who says you can't hit any trails? The close fender and low exhaust means you won't be rock hopping or playing in mud holes, but its a really lightweight bike that will do fine on fire roads and milder trails. These are the bikes most of latin america relies on for transport in areas where their roads are rougher than alot of our "trails".

Okay well that's good to hear. My motorcycle expert friend is coming with me if I go to check it out and he should be able to point out any flaws. I wouldn't think that specific bike would be too problematic, being so small and simple but who knows. And I suppose you're right about the light trails, I mean really, here in Michigan most "trails" can be done in a 2wd station wagon, I wouldn't mind going out into some offroad parks and such but I could get over it.

I would have taken an XT over a TW but my girlfriend loves the TW's fat tire and since its her bike who am I to argue. Regarding that TW, is the battery dead or does it not have one at all? If the battery is dead, you may be able to get away with just putting it on a charger for a little while. The factory charging systems on most bikes isn't very strong and it may just not be up to the task of charging a dead battery.

And I second figuring the gear purchase price. You could easily spend your entire budget on just a good helmet and jacket. Motorcyclegear.com should help you stretch your money as far as possible.

It has a battery, but it's dead. He said it kicks over fine and the electric start works if you drive it around for a while. Is that going to cause any additional problems? I'm looking at this bike tonight so that's a concern.

For the asking price that XT is a good deal. The 225 has a 6 speed transmission and a front disc brake, niether of which the 95 TW would have (TW didn't get a disc brake until about 2000 or 2001.)

Here's the thing about motorcycles on Craigslist which you either already know or will find out soon: The good deals go FAST. Especially once the weather starts warming up. $2k for a 2007 with 1000 miles on it is a great deal for that bike, honestly if it was local to me I'd be tempted, sorely.

Super Sherpas are great bikes. They are also rarer than hen's teeth to find used (i've tried.) You might also consider the Suzuki DR200SE (SE means electric starter) or the KLR 250 (which is not the same thing as the Super Sherpa.) I would stay away from anything more than about 20 years old, unless you are prepared to invest the time/money/energy into keeping it maintained. Also consider that dual sport bikes older than that usually were kick-start only.

As for gear, check out motogearoutlet.com. Great prices on closeout gear. They are local to me but ship all over the world. Don't think you need a $500 helmet and a $800 jacket. You can typically get a Snell-rated full face for right around a hundred bucks and a decent textile jacket with armor for not much more than that. As for boots any decent pair of heavy duty boots that cover your ankle and allow you to manipulate the shifter will be fine (I still wear my old Army combat boots that were issued to me around 1999.) You can spend a lot on gloves but don't think you have to - again, the key is that they protect your hands and allow you to manipulate the controls with ease. Until recently I used to just wear inexpensive Mechanics Gloves that cost me about $15 pair for warm weather and a pair of leather Motorcycle Gauntlets (about $30) for cold weather.

Yup, I buy and sell cars all the time and the good deals go very quick. Luckily for me, the guy who owns that XT is away in China for business until March 6th or something like that, so I'm pretty sure i'd be able to scoop it up if I want. But I don't think I want to spend that kind of money. I'll keep that site in mind though, I'll probably go see what size motorcycle jackets fit me in a store and try and find a deal online.

ih8philly

Adventurer
It has a battery, but it's dead. He said it kicks over fine and the electric start works if you drive it around for a while. Is that going to cause any additional problems? I'm looking at this bike tonight so that's a concern.

Yup, I buy and sell cars all the time and the good deals go very quick. Luckily for me, the guy who owns that XT is away in China for business until March 6th or something like that, so I'm pretty sure i'd be able to scoop it up if I want. But I don't think I want to spend that kind of money. I'll keep that site in mind though, I'll probably go see what size motorcycle jackets fit me in a store and try and find a deal online.

I cant imagine what kind of additional problems it would cause. I suppose long term it could cause additional wear on the stator which wouldn't be optimal but that seems like a rather long shot. If it starts with the battery after being run for a while that suggest the stator is ok right now. If you get the bike I would just throw it on a charger for a while and see if you can bring it back to life. If not just get a new battery, they aren't that expensive.

And for what its worth, I concur on the XT. A few months ago I was looking at any small dual sport (XT, TW, WRR, DR, etc) and would have made a strong effort to get a $2,000 low mileage XT. Better looking (to me), better tire selection without the fat tire rear, and a six speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz