Looking to buy a Trooper-what to look for

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Well, I have done a lot of looking and am pretty excited to have decided on a Trooper. I did look for a list of "what to look for', but didn't find anything other than what other people have posted here. So, let the search begin! My few questions are as follows...

1) What are the best years? Seems that 92-97 with a 3.2 and manual transmission are the best combo?

2) Is 92-97 the best generation?

3) What to look for as far as weak points?

I know there are the 2.3, 2.6, 3.2, and 3.5 (?) engines. It seems there are some issues with head gaskets, but not sure which models, if not all. I won't get an automatic since I keep seeing that these can be less reliable. I want to get the best mpg possible. This will be my DD, some mild off-roading, and light expedition/camping vehicle for the family. We currently have a '93 K2500 Suburban and it gets an awesome 10 mpg, so DD-ing with it is getting kind of old, not to mention we need a second vehicle for the stay-at-home mom. :snorkel:

SO, anything and everything is welcome. I love new knowledge about a vehicle. I would really like a '65 Buick sedan, but that's for after grad school. :sombrero:

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Here is a few thoughts in no particular order...First gen Troopers (<92) are old-school cool, but are smaller (I can't fit in one comfortably, my knees are against the dash), slower, and have less suspension travel than 2nd gens (92-02). 2nd gens have coil spring rears with huge articulation, and the front IFS has longer travel also, though that is a relative term with IFS. 2nd gen bodies are much more resistant to rust. Some of the 4 bangers in the first gens can have head problems if overheated, but are otherwise quite durable. The 4L30 auto isn't as bad as some would have you believe, but it isn't great either (some first gens have Aisin autos that are quite good). The MUA5 manual is very strong. 98+ Troopers have modified 12-bolt rear axles with only an ARB locker available and no regearing options, and the auto tranny models have the TOD transfer case which isn't as durable long term as the MUA5 t-case, and no crawler low range gears are available (3.07:1 gears are available for the MUA5). The 3.5L motor in 98+ can have oil burning issues due to a piston ring design defect; this was fixed sometime in 01. The 92-97 3.2L V6 is strong and reliable.

my ex-trooper (96) burnt oil like there's no tomorrow.
And weak tranny slipped like there's no tomorrow.
All this while achieving TERRIBLE gas milage..
Just my experience.

rotozuk

I think you will like the Trooper. I had a first gen with the 2.8 V6. I loved the simple layout of that truck, and it worked pretty well bone stock. I now have a '99 and really love the truck. It is more comfortable, and has much better power. I do like the TOD on mine, basically AWD when in 4 high. Rather unique.

Fuel economy is so-so for this sized vehicle. I did get 18 mpg on a recent highway trip traveling at 70 - 75 mph. I think my 2.8 never got better then 14 or 15.

Best thing is the space. My dogs love this vehicle. :) Very pleased, and everything works well.

I have wheeled with the 2nd gen Troopers over the years, and they are pretty good stock. Put some lockers in them, and they are even better. They will do most all obstacles you would want to run an SUV through. If you want to do hard trails I'd suggest a Jeep Cherokee.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Cherokees have like half the headroom of a Trooper, no way I could drive one. Not crazy about the unibody either.

With minor modification I have wheeled Troopers on Golden Spike in Moab no problem.

Kenny Olson

Adventurer
Cherokees have like half the headroom of a Trooper, no way I could drive one. Not crazy about the unibody either.

With minor modification I have wheeled Troopers on Golden Spike in Moab no problem.

True. An XJ (stock) parked next to my 87 trooper (also stock) and my trooper towered over the XJ. I was really suprised at the size difference. And x2 on the unibody issue..

you may want to consider the 94-2000 fullsize Montero as well. They came with an amazing auto tranny, a powerful 3.5L engine, a rear locker and much more. I averaged 20mpg with my 2000 Montero and I got up to 24 mpg with conservative driving on the highway. The are a very well built vehicle. I now drive a 2003 Mercedes Gwagon which I love, but there are things I really miss about the Montero because it was such a great vehicle.

rotozuk

Cherokee is the best bang for the buck, and one of the most capable stock 4x4s, and get fair fuel economy (straight 6). Not to mention loads and loads of easy bolt ons and tons of used ARB lockers, etc on CL. I'm 6'5" tall and fit in the Cherokee. But they do require a little more love. Yes, they are unibody, but I have seen plenty of these work out great on TOUGH trails that a Trooper or Montero simply will not do. The Unibody really is not much of an issue. If you are OK with the space, and are willing to maintain them, they are a great choice for the Americas.

Montero - I have owned a number of Mitsubishis and I can not recommend this brand. Too many stupid issues sideline these vehicles. When you do need that odd ball part the dealership never had it in stock, and they wanted a small fortune for it as Mitsubishi seems to make small changes randomly to the vehicles. You will find very poor interchange between different years if it is anything like their cars. I hear a few people compare them to Isuzu vehicles, but the simple fact is I have never seen a Montero on a trail.

With the above said, I love my Trooper. Is it perfect? Nope, but it is a good compromise for what I'm looking for these days. I'm not looking to drive up 8 foot vertical water falls anymore. (Cherokee would be much better for this use.) I'm looking for more mild exploration and camping with the family and dogs. The Trooper is very comfortable, has a nice amount of space, but is not too big and works pretty darn well for "normal" trails. I usually suggest you avoid a big rack and hundreds of lbs of junk on the top. The Trooper is already a tall vehicle. Keep the heavy stuff as low as you can.

-Wayne

rotozuk

True. An XJ (stock) parked next to my 87 trooper (also stock) and my trooper towered over the XJ. I was really suprised at the size difference. And x2 on the unibody issue..

But then again, you can bolt on a 6" lift onto that Cherokee very easily, and it will flex so well it will go places without a locker that an locked IFS rig can't go. And you can buy a modified Cherokee with built axles for dirt cheap on a regular basis. I'm not a huge fan of the Cherokee, but it is hard to ignore how capable and dirt cheap they are. The straight 6 has a very good life span also. But the vehicle tends to need a little more wrenching to keep it running tip top, but parts are at every corner auto parts place. That is a big consideration for a true expedition vehicle. I have wheeled with Cherokees 1000s of times, and I do not recall ever leaving on on a trail, even after a heavy roll.

But then again, you can bolt on a 6" lift onto that Cherokee very easily, and it will flex so well it will go places without a locker that an locked IFS rig can't go. .

Now this is where you are confused or uneducated. Maybe you just haven't wheeled with the stronger IFS rigs like the Trooper of Montero. An open diff vehicle with flex will not out perform an IFS vehicle with lockers. This topic was recently discussed in a the Feb 2013 issue of Fourwheeler mag and on pg 50 (wheel travel vs. lockers) and every expert agreed that wheel travel is overrated and they would take the vehicle with locked differential. Funny thing is I tend to agree with them, nothing beats a locked diff. For what its worth, lifting a vehicle is also overrated. Increasing your center of gravity is never a good thing.

Ideally you want maintain a low center of gravity, have locked axles, large tires, adequate gearing/power, strong components, short wheelbase(110 inches is ideal to me) and short over hangs. This is a recipe for success. Once you do follow this recipe for success you will be unstoppable offroad. A vehicle like the Trooper meets most of this recipe right out of the box. The XJ also meets most of this recipe, but a locked Trooper will out perform an open XJ every time.

Ideally you would like to have a solid axle vehicle with flex and select-able lockers, but they have only been 3 SUV's ever made with that combo and those are the Jeep Rubicon, Toyota/Lexus FJZ80/LX450 and the Mercedes G-Class. I have owned all three and my preference is the Mercedes because it has power and comfort the Jeep and the Toyota can not match.

Last edited:

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
With the above said, I love my Trooper. Is it perfect? Nope, but it is a good compromise for what I'm looking for these days. I'm not looking to drive up 8 foot vertical water falls anymore. (Cherokee would be much better for this use.)
Not quite 8', but close - my previous Trooper:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpZzgUDWKzY (jump to about 2 min. for the successful attempt)
A Wranger (SFA obviously) on 35s was followed me but was unable to make it, I strapped him up.

Don't get me wrong, I like Cherokees, but I simply cannot fit in one.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Cherokee is the best bang for the buck, and one of the most capable stock 4x4s, and get fair fuel economy (straight 6). Not to mention loads and loads of easy bolt ons and tons of used ARB lockers, etc on CL. I'm 6'5" tall and fit in the Cherokee. But they do require a little more love. Yes, they are unibody, but I have seen plenty of these work out great on TOUGH trails that a Trooper or Montero simply will not do. The Unibody really is not much of an issue. If you are OK with the space, and are willing to maintain them, they are a great choice for the Americas.

Montero - I have owned a number of Mitsubishis and I can not recommend this brand. Too many stupid issues sideline these vehicles. When you do need that odd ball part the dealership never had it in stock, and they wanted a small fortune for it as Mitsubishi seems to make small changes randomly to the vehicles. You will find very poor interchange between different years if it is anything like their cars. I hear a few people compare them to Isuzu vehicles, but the simple fact is I have never seen a Montero on a trail.

With the above said, I love my Trooper. Is it perfect? Nope, but it is a good compromise for what I'm looking for these days. I'm not looking to drive up 8 foot vertical water falls anymore. (Cherokee would be much better for this use.) I'm looking for more mild exploration and camping with the family and dogs. The Trooper is very comfortable, has a nice amount of space, but is not too big and works pretty darn well for "normal" trails. I usually suggest you avoid a big rack and hundreds of lbs of junk on the top. The Trooper is already a tall vehicle. Keep the heavy stuff as low as you can.

-Wayne

Well, I won't be hard-core wheeling this vehicle. It will be more for Baja trips with some decent wheeling on those trips that is necessary for finding/getting to good surf. I am more getting this for a reliable second vehicle and something to drive daily as my Burban gets pretty bad mpg. If I get 15 with the Trooper, I'll be more than happy. It has the room, simplicity, and styling that I like.

I agree with you on the Montero and it is not even a consideration. I considered a Cherokee, as I owned one previously, but it lacks the room I desire. I was first looking at 4Runners, but wow, the $$ people want.

I have just read some different issues with each generation. It seems the 2nd gens are pretty reliable and the 3rd gens have head gasket and tranny issues. Am I reading that right?

The only way I would consider a 1st gen is if it didn't need a ton of work, i.e. gutting interiors, rebuilding drivelines, etc...small stuff is no big deal, but I just don't have the time to be completely redoing another person's mess or neglect. I'll keep you guys posted with what I find. I am waiting on payment and tax $$ to be deposited so I can actually make offers on anything I find that I like. I am just trying to get as educated as possible before purchasing.

rotozuk

I think you well do well with any generation that has not been neglected. Finding the older vehicles that have not been neglected is actually harder. I have what you are calling a third generation, and they are easier to find with lower miles and recent services. They do not have head gasket issues (that was the first gen 2.6 that had those issues). The 3.2 and 3.5 liter motors are pretty good except many use a lot of oil. This high oil consumption usually leads to an early death as they end up being driven without sufficient oil. My white '99 uses 1 quart every 1500 miles, that is considered good by many! My Black '99 uses no oil between changes. The white motor makes much better power as it has been regularly serviced, the black motor appears to have seen very little service, original rubber, etc. and lacks power and gets horrible fuel economy.

I stress that it is important to see some signs of maintenance on the vehicle. Keep in mind that a timing belt change gets pretty expensive on these motors, so make sure it has already been done, otherwise seek a discount in purchase price. My mechanic quoted me about $1300 to do the needed service items on the black trooper! (Using OEM parts - water pump, timing belt and parts, t-stat (t-stat is stuck open)) When we are talking about a $2000 - $4000 vehicle that is a lot of money. (I was going to make these repairs myself, but these parts all add up.)

Also, I'd look for oil leaks and rust under the vehicle. My Black Trooper simply is a great example of what not to buy. It leaks from the engine, trans, t-case and both diffs! The rust is so bad that I do not dare to adjust the e-brake, etc. as it will simply break rather than turn. My white Trooper is rust free, and weeps a bit from the rear axle, otherwise is nearly new underneath.

If it has a sun roof, they tend to get a little rust up on the edges on the roof.

That is about all I can think of.

Make sure you put it into 4x4 mode and listen for any noises while driving.

-Wayne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior