Looking to buy a LR Series III -- what do you think.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
A 109 with a 2.25 diesel is going to be a shock to most American drivers who are ever in a hurry.
It seems odd they list it has having a K&N filter when it has the stock oil bath. Makes me wonder what else in the listing that might be wrong.

Snagger

Explorer
The rear right door appears to have rust in the bottom of its frame, and these doors are nearly unobtainable and very expensive. The front passenger door looks fairly scabby too, especially at the rear upper corner of the lower half, just below the split. The driver's door is missing the window lock, so the vehicle is completely insecure. There appears to be a puddle in the front passenger foot well, which bodes ill about leaks and the condition of the foot well. Those are all fixable items, though. What the pictures don't show is the condition of the structural items and how good it is mechanically.

meatblanket

Adventurer
A 109 with a 2.25 diesel is going to be a shock to most American drivers who are ever in a hurry.

x2, especially at altitude.

Check carefully for rust.

The sill plates on one side appear to be missing, and the cappings are painted, but otherwise doesn't look too bad.

Except for that plastic dash, plastic grill, and the headlights in the wings as opposed to the rad panel... ;)

Wow, that thing sold for $8k!?

It looks a little, ahem, "creative" for that price.

Missing near side sill, rusty door bottoms, wacky dash....and you really want a IIa anyway ;)

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
From all appearances, that was not a pristine example of a Series rig. As they get older (last NA model was in '73 or so- almost 40 years ago), ones with solid frames and bulkheads are getting harder and harder- especially in areas that see any significant rain/snow fall or that salt their roads. The ones that have solid structures in those areas were either cared for extremely well or completely torn down and rebuilt at some point. Either way, you're going to pay a premium. It's justified, because as I've found the little bits and pieces can eat up money as much as the big stuff (frames and bulkheads).

Best advice I got, but didn't take:

Avoid "Rover Fever". Go in with eyes wide open, take your time, buy the best one you can afford, enjoy the vehicle for what it is and what it was designed for, and explore the world at the Series pace. Don't make it into something it was never intended to be.

Josh

Adventurer
....I figured if there was one place where people know old Land Rovers its ExPo....

That's a very nice compliment but you can really do a lot better than expo for Series Land Rover advice and information. We're more about how to accessorize the used Discovery we just picked up cheap.

Best of luck to your buddy!! It's a love/hate thing... in a good way.

JSBriggs

Adventurer
Well its RHD, has a Vermont sticker on the back and there aren't any good pics of the frame or bulkhead in the know rusty spots. Im guessing its got a fair amount of rust.

Is he driving it home or having it transported?

-Jeff

bcrez

Adventurer
Thanks for the comments... lots of things to think about. I will pass this thread on to him. He was going to have it shipped, but he is going to keep looking for another truck. It was too much rush and too many questions unanswered.

-B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior