Looking to Build a Adventure Truck / SUV Need suggestions on a Platform

jonnypage

Hi there expo forum! I am looking To build a adventure vehicle with the following criteria.
4wd either full time awd with low range or ideally 2wd with 4 lo and hi
Space for 2 adults and a little extra ( extra cab short box ) but no single cab maybe a crew also.
Will be used to be used as a base vehicle eg everything we need for backcountry hiking and 4wd adventuring.It will not see a huge about of serious 4x4 just access to trail heads and what not so will not need to be a rock crawler. I expect to use it 50% dirt 50% pavement on a larger 20,000kms road trip around north America.
Something big enough to sleep in ( either canopy or back seats folded flat ) occasionally but will be tenting it mostly . Would consider a roof top tent so not a deal breaker if its not larger enough to sleep in with gear.

Gas or diesel auto or standard.
Budget around 5-7 so I am looking at
Any suggestions on ideal vehicle would be great.

Wont be running a fridge or anything that will require dual batteries or solar and we will be storing water in 20l totes and we will never be more than 2-3 days from civilisation so extra fuel isn't a huge deal.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Early gen Sequoias in clean shape can be found in your price range. Just figure on the Timing belt / water pump service. Its narrower than a full size pickup which is a nice thing. Pickups there are millions of them its not hard to find grandpas low mile older truck for cheap and just needing fluids refreshed and new tires tossed on.

jonnypage

Looks like I have settled on either an XJ or WJ jeep. I am leaning more towards the WJ as it has front and rear coils and slightly more modern without having the Mercedes influences of the later models. I will be searching for one with the part time 4wd also to help on fuel economy

jonnypage

Well after almost pulling the trigger on a WJ I think it may be a little small for my needs. I plan on removing rear seats and making a platform for storage the full length from tailgate to behind the front seats and with space on top for the dog and occasional sleeping in when we are not tenting.

I have since started looking at maybe 2002-2004 Ford Explorer with the 4.6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz