Looking to add/build a Camper onto my 1973 CJ5.

Donkey_jaw

Observer
I want to use my CJ5 as my main vehicle when I travel but its about to small to pull anything but a small popup or teardrop camper. Plus I would rather just drive the jeep and not tow anything.

Ive seen this before but they are asking a small fortune for theirs.
1974-cj5-popup-camper-wyoming0.jpg

This is my current jeep.
Jeep.jpg

It may be small but I love the look of it and the top pops up. Does anyone here know of a similar camper top that will fit for a small truck that I could possibly fit on there?

Thanks

Donkey Jaw out

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Always thought those CJ5's with the big camper on their back looked like it was being tortured... way too much overhang on the sides and back - can't imagine the tag axle allowed much off road performance.

How about stretching the chassis and then building a larger poptup? I don't think that Phoenix one would allow someone to sleep in it unless they were pretty short...

Donkey_jaw

Observer
Y'all are probably right. I love the idea more than the practicality of it. I love my cj5. I've put years of sweat tears and $$$$$$ into it. Its just not practical for all the things I want it to be. If I buy anything it would have to be a small teardrop or popup camper.

LuckyDan

Adventurer
Borrowed from somewhere on the internet:

http://offroadaction.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/dsc20P4183256.jpg

Somewhere on here is a resto/build thread for a FWC put on an IHC Scout. A very diligent and determined search may find something on Craigslist that could be adapted. Otherwise you are most likely looking at a scratch build.

I'd guess the cheapest, (sorta) easiest and quickest route would be the RTT route though.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Donkey_jaw

Observer
Thanks for the link! I had the chance to buy a scout a few years back. The guy was deep in debt and needed $$$ fast and had 2. One was rough and the other was very nice and only $800...

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
image.jpg

What about something like this?

Or this, with more rear overhang:

image.jpg

Sorry for the crude drawings I made on my phone.

I fit a Blazer fwc camper on a Scout, which is probably the build referred to earlier in this post. In the end, if I knew how to weld, it would have been better to make one from scratch.

Since the CJ5 has such a short bed, the sleeping platform panels would have to stack- up over the seats to use the back area. Enough room for a small bench and counter though. You could have a nice little camper and it would probably be relatively inexpensive to build. Anything is possible...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke