Looking on options for a more robust compartment handles / locks

I was wondering if any one has any ideas or guggestions for some decent handles with locks for doors and compartments. I know there are a lot of t-handle, paddle and cam styles out there, but most of their locking mechanisms are easily defeated with a screwdriver. Everyone knows that anything can be defeated with enough time or the right tools, just looking for something that might be a little more difficult to gain access.

I know in the past working with electrical and telecom cabinets, they have some decent locks with heavy duty handles, but they are a little big. The next one was to maybe utilize one from a vehicle, say 88-98 c/k trucks, but the lock easily gets poked through and becomes useless.

If any one has any suggestions or experience with something decent the feedback is appreciated.

2.ooohhh

Abloy makes several locks that can be retrofitted to different cabinets. I’ve upgraded several simple lock boxes and several old vending machines to be keyed to my home’s lock plan using the same abloy key way. (Bilock offers similar as well)

I sourced them here in the US via www.securitysnobs.com

mexjtc

I was thinking of replacing the locks on my hatches with these. Keyed like the ignition key. Not sure if they would be more secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking of replacing the locks on my hatches with these. Keyed like the ignition key. Not sure if they would be more secure.

The price is not too bad, I may also consider that on the camper.

Still looking for some ideas on a new install.

I guess the other route is use a non-locking handle on the outside, and remote locking on the the latch.

ac-40-nonlock-292x292.jpg

Currently there is no hardware specified so that is why I was seeking to find some sources to choose hardware before getting parts cut. Was coming up with a dead end through the US manufactures such as Southco, Tri-Mark, ect. Those who are looking for hardware and cant quite find the right part you can take a look at Weston Body Hardware catalog they are similar to others but have a different flavor and I think there are some items that will work out.

Some rotary latches with remote triggers, these seem easily mountable plus the actuators are in the rear , I'm not too sure why most of Southco ones are mostly front or side that gets in the way or makes the mounting much more complex when surface mounting.

image_2021-04-04_213523.png

This will be for some side boxes

DSC_8352.JPG

Verkstad, thank you very much for some insight on other manufactures, in a way its good that our world has increased in globalization making access to far way places much more convenient.

I do have to say, getting things done as an individual is much more difficult, when compared to working for a large entity, prices are much higher and one can not just call up for some sample articles or provide the specs to the rep or supplier and have a few choices on your desk to play with in no time.

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
You might be able to create something like this for your side cabinets:

I have a Slicklock set up I use for the doors on my van with great success. They mount into the striker plate and receiver like so:

slicklock_5879.JPG
slocklock_5880.JPG
Doors closed they appear like this:

slicklock_5878.JPG
(though better lined up; I racked the right door on my last adventure)

You can then use a conventional lock, or far more securely use a hidden shackle puck-style lock:

Master Lock - puck style with hidden shackle:
master-hidden-shackle-lock.jpg

You can get them keyed alike for convenience.

The puck lock hides the door plate pieces entirely. This whole set up is a nice update to the old contractor's style of surface mounted door plates for puck style locks, which took no time in rusting and looking like hell. The images above of my door plate pieces were taken just today and have been mounted for about ten years.

You can also get a "spinner," which is a stainless sleeve that surrounds the puck lock with an opening for the lock's key. The spinner make it far more difficult to apply a giant channellock or other leverage to break the lock off. It just spins around the puck lock:

slicklock-spinner.jpg

Might be a stretch for your application, though a DIY variation could work well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles