Looking for thoughts on truck for hauling camper

beef tits

I have an F250 - 2000 7.3. Supposedly the more reliable model

Least reliable, most broken vehicle I have ever owned.

Don’t mess with deep mud, if you do pack a lunch.

Unsure about your GVWR needs but check into that. You’ll probably be fine regardless, but I am about 10% over GVWR with a Lance Lite 815.

flounder

So its been a few weeks but thanks to y'alls help in my research I pulled the trigger on a 2016 F350 w/ 6.7L !! Here she is with my new to me Northstar 850SC and a couple of pics of the 850sc. One with the custom bumper the guy I bought from built. It has a platform for a Honda generator and a ladder/rack deal for hanging chairs or what not plus it lays flat and he built a table top that mounts to it so you have a little kitchenette table. He also did 200W of solar and converted the regular 12V single battery to two 6V with a claimed 225Ah. I need to do further research on batteries and generators to decide what to get (Honda vs Yamaha vs Cummins). The Cummins looks pretty nice with 2500 peak 2200 run claimed and like $750 so a couple hundred less than the Honda but.....the honda is a Honda. Then should I upgrade to Lithium phosphate batteries? Decisions decisions....
IMG_2104.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2105.JPG
    IMG_2105.JPG
    326.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2107.JPG
    IMG_2107.JPG
    327.4 KB · Views: 42

Alloy

Good choice on the 2016 last year before an upgrade.

I won't run a generator within 5' of a RV.....our propane hot water tank will set the CO detector off if the window above it is left open.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
I have a 1000W Honda generator; quite, sips gas. Easily runs a 35A battery charger. Solar takes care of the absorption phase, even in heavy overcast/rain.

IMO, I'd use the golf carts until they are not longer useful then decide, unless you need to drop a lot of weight.
Lithium is good unless you camp in cold weather.

billiebob

So its been a few weeks but thanks to y'alls help in my research I pulled the trigger on a 2016 F350 w/ 6.7L !! Here she is with my new to me Northstar 850SC and a couple of pics of the 850sc. One with the custom bumper the guy I bought from built. It has a platform for a Honda generator and a ladder/rack deal for hanging chairs or what not plus it lays flat and he built a table top that mounts to it so you have a little kitchenette table. He also did 200W of solar and converted the regular 12V single battery to two 6V with a claimed 225Ah. I need to do further research on batteries and generators to decide what to get (Honda vs Yamaha vs Cummins). The Cummins looks pretty nice with 2500 peak 2200 run claimed and like $750 so a couple hundred less than the Honda but.....the honda is a Honda. Then should I upgrade to Lithium phosphate batteries? Decisions decisions....
View attachment 566111
Awesome unit, I love how skinny it is, it should go anywhere.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Forget the lift!!
Put on good rated tires .
Take some recovery gear.
Go on a trip and add what you need!!
Real nice package. I'd love an 850sc. My old TC800 is 20 yrs old now and a veteran of 33 Baja runs. I've had it n two Rams. The newer TC850sc's have additional headroom which sure helps in the bed area.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles