Looking for thoughts on truck for hauling camper

flounder

Hi all,

I am new to most of all this. I have been looking into what I want to get for a road trip and found the Northstar campers to be very desirable for the cost and what you get. I have found a very clean 2017 I am likely going to make a deal on. However, I will require a larger rig so been looking at some F350s. I am looking at a couple and wanted to see what others have for experience as a camper hauler from these. So the contenders:

2007 F-350 lariat crew cab with a full bulletproofing in last year or so. Also has 3" lift and level kit with 20" wheels. It is a long bed. Low miles at 90,000. Looked at it today and everything is very clean for year. Asking is at $26,500 with all receipts. They seem pretty stuck on that price but maybe haggle down a few hundred.

2012 F-350 XLT w/ 85,000. Pretty much bone stock, I believe long bed as well. Asking is $30,900 (probably can haggle down a little bit)

I like the '07 runs great good power, haven't test drove the '12 yet though. I like that the '07 is pre DEF and all that but not too hard over on that. I am not certain a lifted truck makes much difference with a camper one way or another? I hope to get this setup off road so the lift has some appeal but of course that could be added to the '12 for a cost. Is there something i am not thinking of?

Thanks for any input!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Lifted and hard side heavy camper? Do you or your usual passengers get car sick? Possibly the worst camping trip I ever took was in a lifted full size with hard side camper.

If your going lightweight popup camper thats a different story.

My cousin collects F350’s not sure why. But he has a thing for them. Most are lifted when he gets them pretty much all of them need major suspension rebuild and junk lifts removed the BRO Truck thing has messed up allot of great trucks.

They are super heavy especially with heavy campers you’ll learn real quick to stay on firm ground.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Brand new they're $52,000. So $30k for a used 6.0 or a 6.4, doesn't sound like a good deal to me. Less if you go gas 7.3l instead, about $41k.

Bulletproof 6.0? Yeah right, get the receipts. They never are.

Which model northstar?

Last edited:

mobydick 11

I agree a lift will only make the truck with a camper less capable on and off road . A new f 250 stock can have 24 inches to the bottom of cab or doors .12 inches to bottom of air dam ,remove the dam & 7 giving 19 to the bumper . you will be dragging the differentials long before anything else is touching . An f 350 will be even higher then that as it has more back springs . As for bulletproofing it can be done . when I was 18 after a 12 pack and a couple of shots of whiskey I though I was bulletproof too.

flounder

Brand new they're $52,000. So $30k for a used 6.0 or a 6.4, doesn't sound like a good deal to me. Less if you go gas 7.3l instead, about $41k.

Bulletproof 6.0? Yeah right, get the receipts. They never are.

Which model northstar?
Bul, I will definitely ensure exactly what it has through receipts, calling the shop that did the install, as well as taking to an independent 3rd party shop to verify everything is there and done correctly for the bulletproofing/lift. I am definitely a bit concerned with the price but I live near Seattle where EVERYTHING is more expensive (and I agree refuse to get the 6.4l based on my research nor a 6.0l without the proper bulletproofing for that matter).

As for the Northstar, I have an agreement with a guy for an 850SC.

09Busaman

A good well built 6.0 will be reliable, but as stated above, double check the work and make sure it was completed, coolant changed to get away from the Ford Gold, coolant filter, EGR delete, etc. The good news is its an 07 so a lot of the issues with the 6.0 were worked out from previous years and if it is a late 07 build even better. I would be slightly concerned with a 3 inch lift and camper unless it was a DRW. My 13' SRW had a 2" lift and it was tall!
I also have to recommend staying away from the 6.4, do a search on google with 6.4 reliability issues and you will find a wealth of information. If you can swing it look to the 6.7 in 13' and up.

Darwin

Explorer
So such thing as "bulletproof" it's still a 6.0

Not a wise decision, especially from a money perspective.

MattF350

Observer
With more than just the 6.0 available, I would not go that route.

As others have said, forget the lifts. 350 is plenty tall enough and if you get a CCLB like me, trails and parking get limited. I wouldnt have it any other way, though.

billiebob

Forget the lift. Stick with stock size tires. Lifts and 37s are all hype, marketing, advertising and ego. Box stock an F350 will be more reliable than anything lifted. And a lift plus a slide in camper creates more disadvantages with no upside. Personally, I'd pick the older one.

mobydick 11

I know In your OP you said Road Trip. But if you are thinking Overland vehicle , then you need to watch videos by 4Xoverland and expeditionOverland . They both have good information as to what your truck should be .Or better what not to be . The truck you have picked out checks all the boxes of what not to choose for overland . If the vehicle did not come with a dependable motor and drive train when new ,then it is the wrong truck to choose .

flounder

Thanks All! After listening here and talking to several friends and diesel gurus I think I will make an offer on one the 2012. We'll see how that goes. If I can swing a deal it'll be good cause they offer a free lifetime powertrain warranty so if the turbo issue of the '11-'12s rears its ugly it'll be covered. So hopefully within a couple weeks I will have my truck and camper set up!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles